Black Templars tournament army build

Recoil889

I am in the same boat! Using this forum for motivation has been great. And I get to find inspiration from other great painters like you!

I gave your technique a go on my captain, and I really liked how it turned out, I think I will definitely be using it with the rest of my marines.

Thanks a lot, that’s really cool of you to say. I’m glad you liked my method and that your captain came out well. I’ll take a look at your WIP log later on!

______

I made some really solid progress on all three units of scouts over the weekend. I was able to finish assembling, cleaning, and basing all of them and get most of the painting done on them. They’ll need a bit of time over this week to be finished up, but I feel good about where they’re at.

What’s left is to highlight the black, paint the weapons, and pick out the details.

E84_FE75_B_A551_4282_B909_52282_B87003_B

I’m also going through and quickly adding a camouflage pattern on their uniforms.

91515002_89_D7_484_A_B054_0_A6_C1_D1_CEC

6_EDBECE5_5889_4558_B2_D4_1_AA1_E8_FDC4_

Up next is to finish assembling two units of Devastators and complete the painting on my Vanguard Veterans. The Vanguard Vets are about 50% finished at this point.

That camo looks great!

Thanks!

great effort on the scouts - and interesting use of hotel bookings and tournament entry for artificial motivation - fortune favours the brave

It’s either going to be a total success or a total bust. Time will tell..

That camo does look good on the scouts. Maybe a little overly practical for religious zealots but still cool.

I may have to pinch that idea.

Steal away!

Great work on the scouts. Definitely more eye catching than the standard plane fatigues you normally see them in.

Stray

I had originally painted them up with just plain cream colored fatigues. You’re right, it was pretty boring to look at.

_________

Chipping away some more. All the camouflage, equipment, and eyes are done. Weapons, highlights on the black, metals and bases left.

C38188_C0_DE31_4_BF5_B5_DB_D497_BBBBE610284690_B0_89_A0_49_BD_9685_7_FF3_B767539

These scouts look great. The camouflage looks spot on and looks like itll work brilliantly with the black

Loving the feel of this army so far, keep up the good work mate

Thanks guys! I feel good about the camo now that it’s all laid out.

Nice work overall, love Helbrect's expression. It's as though he can't believe the heresy in front of him :lol:

No kidding - that sculpt didn’t age particularly well...

_______

Besides a clear coat and painting the rims of the bases, the scouts are done.

9_A72584_B_90_AF_4763_B815_EBFC46_CBCBAE

55_B15_E80_C566_4297_84_EF_7_C3_DD340673

425_D2_B66_28_F7_4_A7_C_9_CF0_16_A1_C546

A5142_FA5_244_B_45_A4_8953_FF221_BC4296_

I managed to get a jump start onto the aggressors, too.

03591_CA8_39_FD_4_D38_A04_B_02_D429_D2_A

I’m going to be away all next weekend, so I’ll need to make a really substantial effort during the upcoming work week to make up the difference. Hoping to close this week out with those aggressors finished.

Here’s a quick bonus:

49_BD50_D2_3_B49_4625_B44_C_6_F79_BF5_FD

4_C4_B106_C_F212_43_E5_87_B7_3_B5_CCC32_

My Ironclad Dreadnought conversion. I started building this a while ago. Melee Dreadnoughts are a little underwhelming right now, so this probably won’t see much play on a tournament table. They’re still fun in a casual game.

I’d like to get it painted up after this next event as a way to take a little break from the grind.

Edited by Recoil889

The Ironclad conversion looks promising, but why is he carrying a corpse on his back? Is it the mortal remains of an Imperial saint, and the Ironclad bore this burden to encourage the faith of his battle-brothers and Imperial allies? Or is it the corpse of some Tau collaborator who tried and failed to plant a bomb on the Ironclad's back, his placement intended to warn others "Thus ends all cowards" or "Thus ends all traitors"?

The Ironclad conversion looks promising, but why is he carrying a corpse on his back? Is it the mortal remains of an Imperial saint, and the Ironclad bore this burden to encourage the faith of his battle-brothers and Imperial allies? Or is it the corpse of some Tau collaborator who tried and failed to plant a bomb on the Ironclad's back, his placement intended to warn others "Thus ends all cowards" or "Thus ends all traitors"?

The corpse is a holy relic. Keep your eye out, you’ll see all kinds of weird stuff like that scattered throughout the army.

______

Getting some traction on these aggressors. I’ll be glad when I’m finished with these guys. Lots of tight spaces and twisting and turning to get the brush in.

42482_CA0_5969_4_D2_E_AC42_DE4_A8_BDC6_D

7249_BD19_3_E5_C_404_E_B016_F4451_A2_ADC37_F40_AE2_1663_400_C_BDEE_C29_AFDFA286_

Edited by Recoil889

Wow! Great conversion combining venerable dreadnough pieces with a contemptor. Where did you get the hammer for that model? I really like the progress of your army. I agree with The_Stray_Idea, the dreadnought may not be competitive but nothing beats a cool looking model.

The ironclad being a bit of a mobile reliquary is a lovely touch. I would t worry about it not being overly competitive sometimes you just need a cool piece on the table.

Thanks, man! I think that part of the Black Templars craziness is totally worth playing up.

Wow! Great conversion combining venerable dreadnough pieces with a contemptor. Where did you get the hammer for that model? I really like the progress of your army. I agree with The_Stray_Idea, the dreadnought may not be competitive but nothing beats a cool looking model.

Thanks! The hammer is scratch built from some of the parts to make the hammer that comes with the kit, some chain, brass rod, plastic tube, greenstuff, and love for the emperor.

29-17 is a pretty hefty win bud. By struggle to punch through did you actually mean a group of traitors didn’t have the good graces to die in one combat phase?

It’s a solid margin, for sure. There were a couple turns where I didn’t max my primary score. If I had played it better I think I could have skewed the score further in my direction. It was a good learning game.

Some of that death guard stuff is just hard to kill. His demon prince passed 6 disgustingly resilient in a row during one sequence.

This list as it sits now will need to be tweaked again moving forward into the 2018 season. So, I guess I’ll always have an excuse to be painting...

I've got a real soft spot for Black Templars and these are spot on

Thanks, man!

_______

I knocked out this techmarine tonight. It was a quick fun paint. Like the rest of the recently completed stuff, it still needs chapter markings.

DC4_B6456_D58_C_45_E9_B339_6_A678_B6_B29

2_D702_CAC_A7_CF_4_DC7_BCD6_4_FA48_D3_FA7_D48_AC2_F_EDB3_4_F93_8070_2_B427647_E7

I also finished building and priming these devastators with Ryza pattern Lascannons. I dug through the bits box and put together these “counts as” armorium cherubs.

33_AADEFE_BE51_4033_8_BCF_552_F9_AA78265

D1_A31678_D7_F7_4357_9_E4_E_FA72_E3_B106

Annnd after some soul searching, I decided that TH/SS Vanguard Veterans was not the most efficient way to spend ~200 points. So, I picked up a box of inceptors and got them put together and primed. Alongside the agressors, I’ll be painting these up over the weekend.

1_ECFD437_6_BE5_440_A_A63_F_FD523_FD0224

Templar Devastators? What heresy is this?!

:teehee:

Although I do like those Lascannons. Are they custom or Forgeworld?

Oh, and bonus points for candles. Everyone forgets the sexy candle detail :tu:

They are from Forgeworld:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Ryza-Pattern-Lascannon-Set

Not the most fun things in the world to build..

Templar Devastators? What heresy is this?!

:teehee:

Although I do like those Lascannons. Are they custom or Forgeworld?

Oh, and bonus points for candles. Everyone forgets the sexy candle detail :thumbsup:

They are from Forgeworld:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Ryza-Pattern-Lascannon-Set

Not the most fun things in the world to build..

That would be what is known as a tautology.  :lol: