What is your preferred combat doctrine?

I'm currently lost trying to find a place between the Drop Pod Assault force I fielded over the course of 5th-7th (still feels like THE Marine way!), my 4th edition infiltrating tactical marine force and something that actually works in 8th.

The fact that I own very few vehicles is hurting at the moment

I'm currently lost trying to find a place between the Drop Pod Assault force I fielded over the course of 5th-7th (still feels like THE Marine way!), my 4th edition infiltrating tactical marine force and something that actually works in 8th.

The fact that I own very few vehicles is hurting at the moment

If you are looking for ways to get your troops around the field, get a stormraven. It will can be a bandaid for the loss of drop pods being able to drop dreads and it can transport troops and be a mobile weapons platform. Worse comes to worse, instead of using it as a transport, you can run it across the field acting as a bullet sponge while you keep your forces moving.

I'm currently transitioning from Inquisition Stormtroopers to Elysian drop troops. My group usually plays narrative and we have campaigns. 

There is something that appeals to an army of deep striking and fast units that secure and hold objectives quickly that really appeals to me.

Swords. So many swords. Meta be damned, I'm charging in and trusting in my zeal to carry the day!

I used to throw in vindis as the tank equivalent of a cqc unit...but then 8th happened. :(

At least the LRC got a nasty boost in damage output.

Edited by Firepower

In process of rebuilding my 5th edition DIY Chapter, but the basic combat doctrine remains the same. 

Start with a solid core of infantry based on durability and firepower. Double up on the basic units and use the specials like a scalpel. Prefer units that can maneuver in tandem and support each other. 

I divide the board into six 2x2 sections and prioritize three of those areas for control. Usually at least one section is worthless and another is going to have to be sacrificed. Even with a durable infantry based army you want to avoid a meat grinder.

Half my Infantry use to have Rhinos but as I'm just starting a Primaris army that doesn't seem ideal at the moment. I hope the Repulsor can perform up to it points, but I won't be able to test that for a while. I do love the concept of Infantry supporting a squad of Predators but again I never have thought Space Marine armor vehicles were very durable. 

Seriously, we equip and train the best super soldiers in human history  ....  and give them poop APCs and Armor Support ??? Yeah yeah game balance :ermm: 

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos