Sternguard vs Company Veterans

LucidNinja

Alright so I've decided I want to add a few veterans to my (until now) pure primaris army. I'm playing celestial lions in a slow grow at the moment, we are adding 250 points a month and I am thinking of adding these guys as a "some of the original Lions" theme. Now the issue is which one to use. My 1000 points is captain, techmarine, 3 intercessor squads, plasma redemptor and 2 hellblaster squads. I'm currently thinking of taking a lieutenant (non primaris) a sternguard squad with 2 lascannons and 5 SIB and 2 company Veterans with storm bolters.

Just wanting feedback/ideas on these guys, i'll probably increase the squads to full size by the time we reach 2000 points.

Lascannons seem like a waste on Sternguard to me.  At most I would slap on a couple of combi weapons, but their real strength is in the SIB (especially when bolstered by certain Chapter Tactics and Stratagems).  That said, you already have a lot of anti infantry firepower there, so Sternguard seem a bit redundant.

I guess the best thing to do is look at what exactly you want them to do.  How do they fit into the army, and are they filling/fixing any inadequacies in your current army?  

I think I need more anti tank really but I feel thematically wrong to just add a dev squad etc. Veterans of some description I have come to terms with and being able to double lascannon seems very useful. I really like the idea of 10 Company Veterans with storm bolters and chainswords in a drop pod though... Chaf removal haha

If you want anti-tank you could just go with Dreadnoughts. Mortis Patern Dreadnoughts are just 8 pts more expensive than a standard Dread. A Mortis Dreadnought with 2x twin Lascannons would run 178 pts, 2x twin Autocannons 138.

Why not Sternguard with Combi-meltas? Throw them in a transport and you have some pretty good mobile anti-tank.

Not worth the points IMO, full squad with double las are around 100 points cheaper for the same damage at greater range, and still effective at 30". Melta are too short ranged sadly.

Honestly the only special weapon I would consider on a Sternguard squad is the Heavy flamer that's only because it's only available to them. Sternguard with Lascannons are  waste for a couple of reasons. maximum range is not where you want SG to be shooting their SIB. You want them inside of 15 inches to double tap. This is also where having 2 attacks is handy because they are a melee threat as well. Even combi's are a waste on them because you lose the SIB.  If you want to run combi's or special weapons go with company veterans instead. This is because they don't lose anything by taking them over their bolters and can also have a chainsword for a 3rd CC attack.

I understand your reasoning for wanting LC's in there because of fluff, but I think taking a 5 man dev with a couple of LC is a better and cheaper option which not only gets you a signum but also a cherub for just a few points more. They can still be "veterans" fluff wise, just sans the extra attack of the veteran profile.

I'm still pretty against devs (stubborn I know) and have to admit my maths was wrong on Combi meltas. A few company vets with meltas/combimeltas is a nice looking option. Are storm shields worth it on these guys? Thinking of running 3x2 man squads, sergeant with Combi melta and power sword, other vet with meltagun and storm shield to tank a hit when needed. In a drop pod with a captain.

The only real crunch reasons to take Sternguard are Special Issue Bolters, Heavy Flamers, or a 6+ man squad with combi-/heavy/regular flamers to maximize the Flamecraft Stratagem. If you want special weapons or combi-weapons, you're better off with Company Vets since you pay a lower combi-weapon tax and/or can take multiple smaller squad, plus you can swap out the bolt pistols for other options. For heavy weapons, you're better off with Devastators (for the Signum and lower cost), Dreadnought/Venerable Dread (if you want heavy weapons as Elites), or even Tactical squads (to get more Command Points from Battalions).

I like your squad idea, but for about the same points I'd go for a Lieutenant instead of a Captain (the rerolls are statistically identically for your weapons), drop the power swords, and add 1 more Melta Vet (or keep the swords if you can finagle the points for them).

I fully understand a need to deny Devastators a place among your army ;)

That said, for anti tank there really are better options.  Sterns just aren't meant for that role.  That said, ultimately it is your army to do with as you please.

Hmmm OK got an idea of what I would like to add.

2x 2 Company Veterans, sergeant with Combi melta and power sword, other meltagun and storm shield.

3x 2 Company Veterans, sergeant with Storm bolter and power sword, other with storm bolter and chainsword.

Lieutenant with Combi plasma and power sword.

Captain with Combi melta and power sword.

Ironclad dreadnought with chainfist, heavy flamer, hurricane bolter, assault launcher and 2 HK missiles.

Stormraven with multimeltas, lascannons and hurricanes.

It's a lot of points but I think would be pretty cool. A loaded up Raven dropping off the Veterans to show the new kids how its done

If you are running a Primaris list, why not run a Repulsor in there with twin las/ las talon? 

I'm just returning after a 7 year break from 40k, so don't take me as a reference to the current meta, but back then a LR in a 1000pts list was borderline OP.

You have a good point about it being slightly orkish. 

The stormraven delivering a flanking force + a dread with ridiculously cheap HK's does then look like a very interesting choice with some tactical flexibility.