Understrength Terminator squad

spacewatch

Tried to google this but could not find understandable answer. As we know it is possible to take understrenght unit as an Auxiliary Detachment and only pay for the models actually taken into unit. My question is: can I make understrenght Auxiliary Detachment where I only have 2-3 Deathwatch Assault Cannon Terminators or do I have to take Deathwatch Terminator Sergeant first and then just 1-2 Deathwatch Assault Cannon Terminators? Rulebook says "...as many models you have available" but datasheet says "Deathwatch Terminator Sergeant and n Deathwatch Terminators.". Unit would be my special issue deepstrike squad that eliminates enemy's annoying backfield fire support unit or kills enemy character late game or grabs empty objective or just gives fire support when needed ...but I'd only do this if I can get three Deathwatch AC Termies (melee Termies are too slow).

Edited by spacewatch

Ya is there a page number for the under-strengthed stuff? I've looked it up and seen this in a few batreps, and they've been wrong as far as I've seen. You can take an under strength ANY unit, but you will always pay the cost for the minimum sized unit as dictated on the datasheet. That means you can take a single terminator but you will pay for a full, 5-man terminator unit. It's designed for people who are short a couple models but can still play a legal game. I saw a dude on a batrep take 2 single-man terminators and deep striking, while only paying the points per model. That's wrong as the index was Erreta'd for DW.

If you have a reference that says differently, I'd totally be interested.

I too discovered this from video battlerep. If you look Rulebook page 242 and how Rulebook FAQ 1.1 modifies second paragraph then I think it is possible to take understrength unit and pay just for the models you actually take.

EDIT: discussion about the topic here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336043-understrength-units/

Edited by spacewatch

You can take an understrength unit, but its considered an auxillary support force in your detachment in matched play. and it still takes up the Power Points of a normal sized unit and an appropriate slot in your Detachment for open/narrative play. If you are using point, then you pay the points cost for the unit and takes up a standard slot appropriate for it in your detachment.

I don't see why not as there is nothing that rules against it. Losing the Sergeant stats and giving up 1 CP seems like an even trade anyways.

Thanks (everyone). It looks I can power-on Teleportarium Chamber once more and call some of my Terminators back to duty :yes: