Black Library Open Submission window 2018

Nineswords

We have the max length for the sample (500 words) but, what about the actual story?

At this stage the story you want to tell can be as long or short as you like. Your 500 word snipped can be from any part of that story with your opening paragraph to BL essentially giving context to your snippet.

I imagine that if you're lucky enough to make it through all stages of selection that BL would discuss the wider view of your story, advise what would / would not work and then decide on actual length and publication timings with you.

^This.

I assume that, as well. Send in your pitch + the sample. If you're lucky, they are interested and maybe ask some questions about your story as a whole.

If you're really lucky, I believe that they would get in contact with you, want to know about your ideas, concept, etc. and then start to review it.

BUT

As this is about an entire old / new format (Inferno!), I think that they are rather publishing an excerpt of your story and not the entire one, right?

It's more about filling their new magazine than looking for actual new authors. Still, the former does not exclude the latter, aye?

We have the max length for the sample (500 words) but, what about the actual story?

5-7k words - it's for Inferno.

If you get published in inferno or elsewhere, you can start pitching novels.

Edited by Rob P

So I submitted and I got the 'Thank you for submitting' page. But I didn't get an email tell me that I had submitted, like an electronic receipt.

Just usually with everything online you get a conformation email straight away and seemed odd not to. I mean, you then have no way of  knowing if you entered your email address incorrectly.

Same for everyone else though?

Just an FYI for anyone else wondering the same thing, I emailed and asked and received the following prompt reply;

'Thank you for your e-mail. The system doesn't send out a confirmation email but we do have your submission and the same e-mail address as this one'

So good to know but just double check everything is spelt correctly when you hit submit.

@Kelborn

I don't really want to become an autor rather, I was only thinking to send something I'd have fun writing so that's ok with me. 5k-7k would be nice for a short story.

@Ganders

I opened the submission form to see what the input method was. It seems like a Google Form so that's the problem. I've had to fill several polls made in Google Forms for different things (mostly for College projects) and I was always worried afterwards because I didn't get a confirmation email. 

Congratulations on already having sent yours, wow, that was quick! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, when it says "Please submit correctly formatted work in Times New Roman, point size 12, double line spaced." do you take that to mean that "correctly formatted" equates simply to "Times New Roman, point size 12, double line spaced," or are they looking, in addition to that, for short story format (e.g. with word count at the top, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any insights...

Yeah, sorry, it's just that the wording was a bit redundant - and thus seemed to imply more (i.e. that it was possible to submit a non-correctly formatted work in Times New Roman, point size 12, double line spaced - like if the paragraph indents were wrong or something). But if that's your reading too, I guess I'll just keep it simple...