Reiver squads: Terror troops?

Magos Takatus

This is a pretty straightforward question. Why are Primaris Reivers considered "Terror troops"? Looking at their wargear they have knives and shock grenades, which seem to be stun grenades. There doesn't seem to be any equipment that makes them seem any more threatening than a standard space marine. In fact, I would consider the space marine staple, the humble chainsword would be far more effective at reducing enemy morale than a standard combat knife.

The only thing I can think of is that they are mobile but able to attack more quietly than say, an assault squad. An assault squad could still get the initiative on an enemy and make a mess out of them, so I don't really know where this reputation comes from. From an armoury that can teleport into the midst of an enemy, drop soldiers from the sky on fiery contrails, why does sneaking up on the enemy with grappling hooks make them so feared?

I'm ready to give an internet cookie to the best answer.

carousel1.png

Bigger than Space Marines + skull masks = really scary. Recall, Primaris Marines are relatively new to the galaxy and (like the Spanish Inquisition) are not expected by many, yet. Even the average Imperial citizen may not know about them. So to see one for the first time may cause "more terror" than the Space Marines have continually done for ten millennia.

Or something that.

I like white chocolate macadamia nut, btw ^_^

From an in-game perspective, against the kind of enemy regularly faced and to a seasoned combat veteran , they're probably not overly intimidating. I see their role as being similar to standard marine scouts - disruption of enemy rear areas, supply lines, command centres etc which are not manned (usually) by front line troops. Raids are normally night operations, the sight of a 7ft tall skull faced killing machine charging out of the darkness would be pretty scary to rear echelon troops. The -1 to enemy Ld is probably the best representation of this effect.

Race Bannon:

That's not a bad one. My personal theory is that they are using the skull masks to trick the enemy into thinking they are actually facing an entire squad of Chaplains. :biggrin.:

Old Git:

I think that's a good answer. They are pretty tame compared to Night Lords or Necron Flayed Ones but they seem ideal for taking out sentries and raiding behind enemy lines.

While I know that mixing lore and rules doesn't tend to end well, the Sicarian Infiltrators have the same rule and they can overload the senses of their targets. Having never faced a Space Marine I don't know how scary that would be but the prospect of being completely crippled by the Infiltrators' abilities in the middle of a warzone seems a lot more disturbing to me.

Edited by Flame Boy

In the Dark Imperium novel it sounded like they actually were terror troops. Howling banshee esque masks to amplify yells and fast small power blades. (At least from memory)

Unfortunately they dont translate that well on the TT other than their grenades...