Horticulous Slimux and Feculent Gnarlmaws

radionausea

The problem is with slimux, but also with the trees. They don’t work well together.

The cover ability of the tree is nice, but mostly for CSM demons (obliterators). A 4+ against shooting on 5++ Codex demons troops would still be ok, but Slimux is too slow to place it in front of them, so they will probably just walk out of it. If he at least would get the +2 movement buff from the new herald...

The MW are nice I guess, but unless the tree is on an objective or the trees are spammed people will seldom stop that close. And since it’s only triggered at the start of your turn, they can even just walk by the tree as long they they don’t stop.

Advance and charge would be nice for advancing towards the enemy, but since it’s triggered at the start of the turn it’s mostly useless for freshly summoned trees.

Rerolling summoning dice is nice I guess, but summoning itself is often questionable. Requiring the summoner to be at a tree (that probably has to be there at the beginning of the turn already, since it seems the planting happens after summoning) again doesn’t make it mesh well with the slow slimux.

Can you use the Stratagem to shock these Fortifications?

If you then build a line with 3 of them mid field you have a huge bubble ( _7"_x_6"_x_6"_x_7"_) in which your non MC or AV Daemons get a nice 4+ save.

More important, your whole army should be in a possition to advance and charge on turn 2, so the slow moving Nurgle Daemon Army might be able to charge the opponent turn 2 with pretty much all they have got (PBs 5" move plus 2" for Spoilpox plus up to 7" advance and 13" charge with instrument is a charge range up to 27") .

Mortal wounds when opponent gets to close is just a little extra, might be helpfull if planted on an objective.

Otherwise I agree with Finkmilkana, Horticulus is just to slow to get the trees in a position where you realy need them.

That's a really good question. Let me check real quick!

Yep, the only requirement to use the deep strike stratagem is having the Daemon keyword which the Feculent Gnarlmaw has. A unit of 3 has a power rating of 7 so it would still cost only 1CP even. Nice find!

Edit: Keep in mind tho that then you do need a fortification detachment to use them which might not be optimal in a tournament etc. with a detachment limit.

Yep that as well. They simply turn into a neutra terrain feature that benefits Nurgle units. So if you happen to fight against another Nurgle army better be careful where you place them. :P

• 2 months later...
I have a different theory regarding slimux producing trees, and was curious what people think. Reinforcement rule states you pay points for units added to your army, the tree rules states no player controls them. If they are not added to your army they dont fall under the reinforcement rule, meaning they should be free.

+ 2 cover on Oblits seems pretty potent.

Is it not restricted to units with Faction Keyword DAEMON?

IIRC, there is now a difference between Faction Keyword DAEMON (can use DS Stratagem) and Keyword DAEMON (cannot use DS Stratagem).

+ 2 cover on Oblits seems pretty potent.

Is it not restricted to units with Faction Keyword DAEMON?

IIRC, there is now a difference between Faction Keyword DAEMON (can use DS Stratagem) and Keyword DAEMON (cannot use DS Stratagem).

It's not. Auras that target a Keyword work on anything with that keyword. A Herald's aura that buffs, for example SLAANESH DAEMON units would work on Slaaneshi Possessed. So yes, the auras from the Feculent Gnarlmaws works on Nurgle Obliterators.

I have a different theory regarding slimux producing trees, and was curious what people think. Reinforcement rule states you pay points for units added to your army, the tree rules states no player controls them. If they are not added to your army they dont fall under the reinforcement rule, meaning they should be free.

Eh I wondered something similar. Given slimux is more expensive in power level than Epidemus but brings less to the table. And the wording of "can add to" with regards to his planting of trees to me at least suggests that they are "in addition to" the army not part of its reserves

Also demonic summoning specifically states models summoned count as being 'Reinforcements' where as the wording for Slimux is 'adds' trees (to an army that has already purchased at least one)

Honestly the power level rating looks about right if you consider him a herald minus psychic powers plus 2 trees and a man eating snail

But there are many who disagree with me on this. I shallnt be playing in tournaments however so as a friendly match I shall be asking my opponent for rulings on my interpretations before starting

EDIT

The one thing I wanted clarified in the faqs was this. Lol. And was it? Nope

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to use Denizens of the Warp to bring Slimux down and then use his Seed the Garden of Nurgle rule to plant a tree immediately after? Both rules are supposed to happen at the end of the movement phase. I assumed that it would be up to the controlling player to determine the sequence of events but I could be mistaken.

Archived