Reiver Sgt with Carbine and Knife

Ishagu

Hey guys. I don't own the Reiver kit but will be picking one up soon.

The FAQ added the option for the Sgt to take a Carbine and Knife.

Is there a Carbine held by a single arm in the kit? If anyone has built such a Sgt can you share a picture? :-)

Hey guys. I don't own the Reiver kit but will be picking one up soon.

The FAQ added the option for the Sgt to take a Carbine and Knife.

Is there a Carbine held by a single arm in the kit? If anyone has built such a Sgt can you share a picture? :-)

Sorry no picture yet as he’s being painted since I hit the reset button on my Ultramarines again, but that is how I’ve armed mine.

Ahh, fantastic.

This is perfect. I'll be running two units with carbines, and Sgt with the knife :-D

Thanks everyone.

PS: What chapter is that, BTW?

Edited by Ishagu

I did it. Not the best load out as you lose the pistol, but rule of cool.

Honestly I think Carbine+Knife is the best Reiver loadout and if it was possible, I'd equip regular Reivers this way, too.

The bolt pistol is only (more) useful (than the carbine) if you start your turn engaged in melee. This doesn't happen often since

• If you charge with your reivers in your turn, the enemy will most likely move out in theirs, leaving you in the open again.
  • If you get charged in your enemy's turn, it's most likely they get charged with something that'll shred them to pieces anyway.
Edited by Nalim

Honestly I think Carbine+Knife is the best Reiver loadout and if it was possible, I'd equip regular Reivers this way, too.

The bolt pistol is only (more) useful (than the carbine) if you start your turn engaged in melee. This doesn't happen often since

• If you charge with Rour reivers in your turn, the enemy will most likely move out in theirs, leaving you in the open again.
  • If you get charged in your enemies turn, it's most likely they get charged with something that'll shred them to pieces anyway.

I'm glad you made those points, ive had a box of Reivers sitting for about a month wanting to make them with the carbines but with a lingering feeling the pistol and knife were the ideal load out for them, especially the sergeant. 

But carbine and knife isn't a thing for the unit, and is rather give them knives and pistols generally anyway.

The pistols AP means they are just that little bit better at getting damage through, and means they can afford to remain engaged with a unit and shoot before continuing to melee.

• If you charge with Rour reivers in your turn, the enemy will most likely move out in theirs, leaving you in the open again.
  • If you get charged in your enemies turn, it's most likely they get charged with something that'll shred them to pieces anyway.

I'm glad you made those points, ive had a box of Reivers sitting for about a month wanting to make them with the carbines but with a lingering feeling the pistol and knife were the ideal load out for them, especially the sergeant. 

Just to be clear: While Carbine + Knife would be superior to all other options if it was legal, it isn't. Carbine is still mathematically superior to Pistol + Knife unless you deal with Save 2+ (or 3+ in cover) models. Generally, I'd always use the Carbine.