Sicarans - Good, Bad, and the Ugly

CCE1981

Part of my head cannon for my diy Chapter is they have become quasi-relic hunters. I am looking into the Sicaran tanks and would like to get a rundown of the different chasis. Reading posts and looking at Imperial Armour I am leaning toward a standard Sicaran with the assault Twin Accelerato Cannons, and the Venator. I would like a good rundown on all of there perfrmances though. Thanks!

I just made a topic on the Venator. I think it's utterly excellent, and the best dedicated anti-tank ground vehicle Marines have access to. A much improved alternative over a Predator Annihilator.

The regular Sicaran is also excellent. It's very effective at dealing both with multiple models like a unit of infantry and focus firing on a single target. A much improved alternative over a Predator Destructor.

The punisher is an alternative to an Assault Cannon Baal Predator and an excellent unit for putting fire into hordes or infantry, although I don't like it quite as much as there are other units that also deal with hordes.

Nothing ugly about these tanks. Following the point reduction in Chapter Approved they are now competitive units that should be considered. Their limitation is the fact that they are relics - this causes more issues than you might originally think based on what kinds of lists you run. For example I didn't rate many of the elite options available to Marines, so now I've invested in new Reivers just to unlock the use of the vehicles in the most common type of lists I play.

I don't rate the other variants beyond these 3.

Edited by Ishagu

Tried them all with an exception of arcus (completely uselees in 40k imo)  Punisher with 2 heavy bolter sponsons is extremely good in killing mobs of orks\tyranids\ig and 3+sm.

But the best one is venator. Really.  230pts  for a

Neutron pulse cannon 48" Heavy 3 12 -4 D6

Any VEHICLE which suffers wounds from this weapon
but is not slain must subtract 1 from its hit rolls in the
Shooting phase

2 lascannons, 14" move AND a freaking machine spirit. Extremely fun to play.
Usual sicaran was OK, but now i choose venator most of the time and punisher sometimes.

Part of my head cannon for my diy Chapter is they have become quasi-relic hunters. I am looking into the Sicaran tanks and would like to get a rundown of the different chasis. Reading posts and looking at Imperial Armour I am leaning toward a standard Sicaran with the assault Twin Accelerato Cannons, and the Venator. I would like a good rundown on all of there perfrmances though. Thanks!

I just made a topic on the Venator. I think it's utterly excellent, and the best dedicated anti-tank ground vehicle Marines have access to. A much improved alternative over a Predator Annihilator.

The regular Sicaran is also excellent. It's very effective at dealing both with multiple models like a unit of infantry and focus firing on a single target. A much improved alternative over a Predator Destructor.

The punisher is an alternative to an Assault Cannon Baal Predator and an excellent unit for putting fire into hordes or infantry, although I don't like it quite as much as there are other units that also deal with hordes.

Nothing ugly about these tanks. Following the point reduction in Chapter Approved they are now competitive units that should be considered. Their limitation is the fact that they are relics - this causes more issues than you might originally think based on what kinds of lists you run. For example I didn't rate many of the elite options available to Marines, so now I've invested in new Reivers just to unlock the use of the vehicles in the most common type of lists I play.

I don't rate the other variants beyond these 3.

I just got myself a venator and a punisher a few days ago to replace my predator annihilators in this list . The chapter approved price drop just made it no contest really. The punisher is slightly cheaper points wise but the venator more than makes up the difference with just the ability to move 14 inches and shoot heavy weapons at no penalty. Not even mentioning how beastly the main gun is. Not built them yet but they did work in the couple of games I've proxied them in so far. 

Another particularly nice thing that was quite relevant in one game i played is the extra few wounds it has over a predator. While they are both t7 3+, at 11 wounds a single lascannon can take a predator from full wounds to its second profile. At 14 wounds the enemy needs to do 7 wounds to do the same to a sicaran. Its only 3 wounds so concentrated fire still takes them out at pretty much the same speed but it made a big difference especially when they're at pretty much the same price point.

Edited by Ipsen

Thats the lore I am going with my chapter, The Dragoons. The main for of Astartes are relic-hunting old battlefields, vaults, chapter monasteries and such looking for old weapons/armor/tech to go to war, when they arent currently deployed to a battlefield. I have some old models (like the old vindicator back before they updated the model to full plastic) and I recently got a salamanders contemptor and sicaran omega destroyer from forgeworld to add to my space marines. While the Astartes of my chapter are often looking for old tech, STC's and stuff, the Primaris companies are going out of their way to find battlefields to fight in since they consider 'relic hunting' beneath them. I intend to buy a fire raptor and maybe another Sicaran the near future to add to my chapters 'relics' that they are able to field.

Omega just for pure looks, the 24" range is meh with the ability to hurt itself

Arcus is very situational overall can be much better than Punisher to clean hordes; buy it if you do 30k and use it in 40k as well :smile.:

~BT

I love the looks of the Omega, but the rules are sooooooooo bad for a tank hunter. I actually sent off an email to forgeworld with my recommendations for the rules to the Omega.

20180115 070426

I have a suggestion for the experimental rules for the Sicaris Omega Tank Destroyer.

I would suggest increasing the range of the Omega Plasma Array weapon systems to at least 36". Considering its supposed to be a tank hunter, 24" is incredibly close range, especially since the weapon only does 6 shots at 1 damage a piece. Even Heavy Plasma cannons have 36" range and do Heavy 3 shots.

Especially since its a Heavy weapon system and you suffer -1 to hit if you move since the Sicaris doesnt have Power of the Machine Spirit and it has 14" movement profile. It seems a little off for a tank hunter to have so much movement, and not have Machine Spirit and all of its weapons are in the Heavy type.

My recommendation would be for the following profile:

Plasma Volley : 36" : Heavy 8 : S 7 : AP -3 : D 1

Plasma Burn : 24" : Heavy 4 : S 9 : AP -3 : D 3 same ability as currently stated

Gyro-Stabalised mountings +15 points to the base model, but it would be able to move and fire heavy weapons without -1 to hit, same as the Venator Tank Destroyer. 

Considering the Venator (power 15) is a tank destroyer, and does Heavy 3, -4 AP and D6 wounds with bonus penalties to enemy vehicles, and yet the Omega tank destroyer has a higher power level (power 16) but its weapon does less damage. The venator has the potential to do 18 damage as well as a penalty to wounded vehicles, while the best rolls of the Omega can only do 12 damage (3 heavy shots in the sustained burn with 6's rolled to wound dealing an addition 3 damage). That is a major dependency for the Omega if it has a higher power and yet does less potential damage.

Edited by Saxxon the Dragoon

Tried them all with an exception of arcus (completely uselees in 40k imo)  Punisher with 2 heavy bolter sponsons is extremely good in killing mobs of orks\tyranids\ig and 3+sm.

But the best one is venator. Really.  XXpts  for a

Neutron pulse cannon 48" Heavy 3 12 -4 D6

Any VEHICLE which suffers wounds from this weapon
but is not slain must subtract 1 from its hit rolls in the
Shooting phase

2 lascannons, 14" move AND a freaking machine spirit. Extremely fun to play.

Usual sicaran was OK, but now i choose venator most of the time and punisher sometimes.

I'd advise removing the points cost from your post, it's against forum rules to post those.