Heavy flamers on dreadnoughts

LucidNinja

Hey everyone,

I am working on a list that is pretty much a whole bunch of vets in a stormraven with a chaplain dreadnought And am wondering if the heavy flamer is worth it? He'll be getting dropped off right in range hopeful but don't know if it's worth the points difference over the storm bolter. Ideally once he makes it into combat everything close will be crushed and if unable to get into the next enemy unit 8" seems like it will be too far away. Plan is to have him armed with a assault cannon also.

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with the flamer

Assuming someone would want to charge a Chaplain dread, that is. I'd say that's not a huge concern of theirs.

If you really wanna go all out, you could take the super duper flamer instead of the cannon :D

But yes, deploying by Raven I would say the flamer is a good investment. Otherwise probably not

The list I'm working on had the flamer but could be switched to a storm bolter and add another hellblaster... Very on the fence with this one.

I was going to get the FW claw for him which would have the storm bolter mounted to the body, is there a good flamer for that setup?

I like the heavy flamer for the auto hits and the -1 save modifier with decent strength. Pretty much any Dreadnought I run with a fist gets the heavy flamer. Its short range is a downside, but the storm bolter has lousy strength and no save modifier so I think it balances out.

The Storm Bolter isn't really a significant contribution to the firepower of the model, any moreso than it would be on a vehicle.

The Heavy Flamer, however, has a lot of potential for brutality.  It's also a wonderful "keep-away"  Move that Dreadnought closer to enemy infantry and watch them fall back or die.

Or charge you and die.  Or get a few survivors into melee... and die.

A Storm Bolter just doesn't generate that kind of psychological effect.

I always run mine with atleast 1 HF, but mine are Red and Black, and tend to run towards the enemy anyway, so that might have something to do with it.

Dreadnoughts don't like fighting Lots of mediocre infantry, it wastes their limited power fist attacks, but a solid heavy flamer shot (or 2, DC dread says high) can really swing it towards the dreads favor.