Micah's Dark Eldar

micahwc

I had a warrior who lost his arms somehow, so I made him into a second Archon.

http://i.imgur.com/xP9sUlb.jpg

Here he is with 39 of his buddies

http://i.imgur.com/RYrlDaN.jpg

I love that so many DE players seem to be going this route, rather than the pre-canned models.  Going to make for some really cool conversions going forward!

I know a lot of people don't like our archon model, I don't think he's too bad but I definetly don't want use two of them in the same army, so I'll also have to get to converting a kabalite to an archon. I just wish there was some other gear or look I could give a kabalite to make them stand out as an archon. I know some people green stuff capes on them but I'm not sure that my greenstuff skills are up to such a task. 

mihawc I don't know how you paint things so fast, I've been working a lot more on painting since the codex announcement but I haven't got nearly that many warriors done.

A combination of an air brush and a boring job where I can sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. So I'll airbrush all the base coat stuff at home, and then bring everything to work and paint the details while at work. Seriously, the air brush saves a whole lot of time. I can prime 40 warriors is under an hour, and then basecoat and zenithal highlight in under another hour.

As far as converting an Archon, it's not that I didn't like the original, its just that I don't want repeats. So basically I just added arms from Scourges to the body of a Kabbalite.

A combination of an air brush and a boring job where I can sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. So I'll airbrush all the base coat stuff at home, and then bring everything to work and paint the details while at work.

OK, I need to know what job you have that lets you do this :lol:

On the Archon front, I'm not in love with the new model mostly because it's devoid of options (on the sprue, at least).  I'm fortunate enough to own a classic metal Archon that I arm-swapped to get what I wanted, but if I was to use the current one it'd be with a significant level of conversion.  Which I think is a good way to go anyway! :)

I binge paint/assemble at work every once in a while. I have a job where I work maybe an hour or two a day, and then spend 6 or so hours on call if anything happens. It's also for the Federal Government, so it's not like its a particularly strenuous job to begin with.

To be completely honest, I don't like assembling models or brush painting. I really enjoy airbrushing. So doing it at work helps me get it done faster because if I did it at home I would find about 30 more things I'd rather be doing.

It's also for the Federal Government, so it's not like its a particularly strenuous job to begin with.

Hey, me too!  Unfortunately, I feel like my leadership would have an issue if I brought my Raiders in to edge highlight . . . :whistling:

Trueborn benefit from obsessions because they have the kabal keyword, basically all you're doing is using their index pts values but updated pts values and stats for weapons like blasters. That being said I don't think trueborn are worth using anymore. For one more pts/m you can take scourges, which get the same number of special weapons, gain access to the haywire blaster, have a better save and movement, and most importantly can deep strike without using a stratagem, so significantly better than trueborn. Plus warriors are now almost half the cost of trueborn so there's also that to consider (6pts vs 11). 

I didn't like the idea of running two fairly similar looking archons either, luckily I've managed to bag myself a Visarch Sword of Ynnead from the triumvirate box set to convert up to be my warlord archon :smile.:

I'd love for you to post a picture of that once you're done, I've thought about using the Visarch but not sure his armor style really works for DE. 

Iron Warriors, then?  Nice work overall, though you may wanna slide that guy back into the CSM threads for coverage :)

Also, those Imgur comments . . . non-wargamers, amirite? :lol:

I got everything out for a group shot. Approximately 1600 points. I’m not sure where to go next. I have one more raider coming in the mail. 59 warriors and 2 archons or 60 warriors and 1 archon (it matters for heavy weapons), 9 rievers, 10 Hellions, Lilith, 1 succubus, 5 Wyches, 5 scourges, and 3 Ssylth.

I think large groups of warriors refilling 1s to hit and to wound could be effective basic troops if I can mitigate their leadership some. I’d like about 20 Wyches eventually.

After that I’m not sure where to expand.

https://imgur.com/a/45PyN

Looking like a good start man. Obsidian rose have that really fun stratagem for mitigating moral, plus their obsession is the best for footslogging warriors. 

After you get more wyches, you'll probably want some more transports. I feel like footslogging is actually possible with DE now thanks to how cheap kabalite warriors are, but it's still ideal to have some transports. Plus I just love our vehicle models, I have about 60 infantry myself spread between kabals/cults/covens and almost enough transport capacity to transport all of them. 

Any thoughts regarding using Crypt Horrors from Warhammer as Grotesques? How would you modify them to make them work? I've got three that I bought to use as Chaos Spawn for my chaos army, they have never seen the field of battle. I think they are about the right size and have the right general look to modify into a good grotesque.

Any thoughts regarding using Crypt Horrors from Warhammer as Grotesques? How would you modify them to make them work? I've got three that I bought to use as Chaos Spawn for my chaos army, they have never seen the field of battle. I think they are about the right size and have the right general look to modify into a good grotesque.

I've seen this done and it works quite well.  My suggestion would be to grab a Talos/Cronos box or two and use the extra bits (trust me, you'll have extras) to modify them up.  This has the side-effect of getting you the heavy hitters to go along with your Grotesques :)

1500 point game tomorrow

I’m bringing 3 archons, a succubus, 40 warriors, 3 Ssylth, 5 Wyches, 9 reivers, 10 Hellions, 2 raiders, and 5 blaster scourges.

Raider one has succubus and 5 Wyches

Raider two has two archons and the Ssylth.

One squad of 20 warriors with 2 dark lances and a blaster

2 squads of 10 warriors with 2 blasters and a dark lance

Third archon hangs back with troops for rerolls

unfortunately I was supposed to bring my unassembled second raider to work with me so I could complete it  before the game and I forgot to grab it, so I'll have to modify my list a bit.

Edit: My revised list

Patrol Detachment 1: Archon, 10x warriors (2 blasters, dark lance), 3x Ssylth

Patrol Detachment 2: Archon, 10x warriors (2 blasters, dark lance)

Patrol Detachment 3: Archon (blaster), 10x warriors (dark lance, blaster), 10x warriors (dark lance)

Patrol Detachment 4: Lelith Hesperax, 5x Wyches (+1 attack drug)

Fast Attack Detachment 1: Succubus (blood glaive, +2 move drug), 9x reivers (3x blasters, +1 toughness drug), 10x hellions (+1 strength drug), 5x Scourges (4x blasters)

Dedicated Transport: Raider (holds the succubus, Lelith Hesperax, 5x Wyches, and 3x Ssylth)

8 Command points, 1492 points.

Warriors and Archons have the obsession to re-roll wound rolls of 1. Succubus, reivers, and hellions are red grief for advance and charge. Wyches should get 5 attacks each on a charge. (2 base, +1 for hekatari blades, +1 for obsession, +1 for combat drugs)

Had a great game. I lost 3 to 13. There was hillariously bad rolling on both sides. 1500 points against Necrons including both Ctan and Imotek the Storm Lord.

My blaster scourges dropped, missed twice, and failed to wound twice. They didnt survive to shoot again.

For the second game in a row my single raider has been MVP, doing decent damage with the dark lance and then exploding into the enemy.

Hellions got a turn 1 charge and did decent damage but after reanimating I only killed four warriors in turn 1.

A unit of 20 warriors was the biggest threat, I just couldn’t kill them fast enough.

My archons did pretty well in close combat, one managed to eventually kill imotek. The succubus did okay; unfortunately Lilith got flattened with a stratagem that removes invulnerable saves.

Before I left I picked up a third Raider and another box of scourges.

Archived