How will upcoming xenos codices affect Space Marines?

T'au, Necrons, and Drukhari (Dark Eldar) are next to get a codex for their factions. Hopefully there will be leaks trickling in, but in the mean time, anybody care to speculate on how these releases will affect the current state of the game?

For instance, anybody else notice that in 8th, T'au players were sitting out games/events until Chapter Approved dropped, but still mostly keep a low profile? Just this weekend, we had a T'au player come in last at a local event, despite running 3 Stormsurges in a 2000 point list. Between sniffles, there was the "wait until my codex drops" excuse. They want their easy win buttons back. Y'know the ones that let them run over new players, and allowed for hard list-tailoring for individual opponents. I suspect those aspects will not ever change. Even when the codex drops, it will allow Tau players to be competitive in casual settings, but continue to fall far short in competition play.

Now, I have not seen much of Necrons in 8th. I know they are hard to kill, and you have to wipe the whole unit to keep them down. Also, they are traditionally more inclined to close quarters fire fights, and they can tarp it all but the very best Assault units. Has any of this changed? Are we expecting a big shift in the meta when they drop, or will they barely cause a ripple?

Now for Drukhari, my second army. They have been sitting on the shelf for me ever since 8th dropped. I never bothered picking up the Index, as I did not feel it was worth it. The index brought about several changes, drastic in some cases, but no 2 Dark Eldar players in my area (all 4 of us) can agree on how those changes affect how playable the faction is now. I highly doubt Drukhari will be any more effective on the table top, but this is the release I am most looking forward to.

So, any speculation on how these drops will affect us? We have seen change in factions, index to codex, and index to Chapter Approved to codex. Any speculation on how GW will make changes to the aforementioned factions? Changes in points for units and or weapon options? Also, as we have also seen, just like Astartes have chapters that play differently, now Guard regiments and Eldar Craftworlds have distinct sub factions they play very differently due to their new rules. Are there any experts in fluff on here that are familiar with the various sub factions within the Tau, Necrons, and Drukhari, that care to speculate on what sub factions will get distinct rules? Keep in mind that giving a Tau/Necron/Drukhari player more playstyle options goes hand in hand with GW emphasising different parts of their product lines to boost sales.

Last edition, various Dark Eldar subfactions were mentioned in their codex. Mostly these were paint schemes for the various Warrior Kabals, Wych Cults, and Haemonculus Covens, each of which plays very differently. So at the very least, Drukhari will receive Kabal, Cult, and Coven rules, possibly with 2 or 3 chapter-equilivants for each sub faction. I will be interested in seeing how that develops.

Tau, as we know, have the <Sept> keyword, of which Farsight Enclaves is but one of. So no more Tau codex for general info, and the Farsight Enclaves book for rules to run an all suit army. Now it will be one codex, and you can take a Vanguard Detachment to run a legal list of all elites with a HQ or 2. The other obvious Sept to get its own "chapter tactics" will be the one Shadowsun comes from. Now, will we see a third, or even fourth Sept, that tries to focus on Tau product that does not sell so well, and/or are carbon copies of existing Chapter Tactics (Raven Guard to Alpha Legion to that filthy xenos Craftworlds Eldar faction, for example)?

Again, my knowledge of Necrons has more gaps than I am comfortable admitting, so anything my brothers can add will be greatly appreciated. RFIs include how the various Dynasties will likely be represented in their new codex, what units are likely to get changed, and any clues the fluff has provided.

Thanks, ponder, speculate, and theorize away! My intent is more game & theory with intelligence gathering, than this thread being here's how I would play xenos. Please keep it to here are what the threat units are, and best counters, and speculations on new ways these foul xenos will field their forces as they march into our roaring bolter fire.

Tau, as we know, have the <Sept> keyword, of which Farsight Enclaves is but one of. So no more Tau codex for general info, and the Farsight Enclaves book for rules to run an all suit army. Now it will be one codex, and you can take a Vanguard Detachment to run a legal list of all elites with a HQ or 2. The other obvious Sept to get its own "chapter tactics" will be the one Shadowsun comes from. Now, will we see a third, or even fourth Sept, that tries to focus on Tau product that does not sell so well, and/or are carbon copies of existing Chapter Tactics (Raven Guard to Alpha Legion to that filthy xenos Craftworlds Eldar faction, for example)?

I'm expecting at least five Septs to get their own tactics and wouldn't be totally surprised if we see a few more than that. The difficult thing when it comes to inventing "Sept Tactics" is that many of the major Septs are known for things other than warfare (Dal'yth is known for trade and Water Caste diplomats for example) and that the broad stereotypes about their people don't always lend themselves to the battlefield (like the Tau from D'yanoi being regarded as technologically backwards).

To give you a rundown on the nigh-certain picks (with characteristics and total guesses at their traits):

• T'au - "Wisdom and experience." Lore-friendly option would be a trait that improves focusing fire on a single target.
  • Vior'la - "Aggression and skill." Possibly something inspired by the Mont'ka Warlord Trait like Advance and shoot Rapid Fire weapons at -1 to hit.
  • Sa'cea - "Discipline and honour." Certainly sounds like either a Leadership-based effect or something like the Ultramarines' trait.
  • Bork'an - "Cerebral and restrained." Something representing #tacticalgenius or their high-quality weapons and equipment.
  • Farsight Enclaves - Similar to Vior'la (thanks to Farsight). Possibly something Battlesuit or melee orientated.

And some possible choices:

• Fal'shia - Known for technological development and use of experimental prototypes.
  • Tash'var - Known for their hardiness and courage. Fluffy choice would be something that benefits Breacher Teams.
  • Vash'ya - Make extensive use of Air Caste support. Could have a trait to benefit flyers.
  • Ksi'm'yen - Known for subtlety and subterfuge. Could have a trait to benefit stealth units and infiltrators or the Raven Guard trait.
  • Fi'rios - Known for their stubborn refusal to accept defeat. Could perhaps have the Iyanden trait, for infantry at least.

Thank you for the input. A local Arbiter once introduced me to a Water Caste T'au, saying that she was a "good xenos". I replied by cocking my Astartes Shotgun, and saying "she is about to be". Ah, my days as a Scout...

Ahem, still, good points. T'au, Vior'la, and Farsight Enclaves are almost certain. Any Sept that boasts a special character model will certainly be featured. Also, remember to be mindful of marketing. Farsight was to sell crisis suits. Tash'var would be my guess as having a trait similar to the Steel Legion of Armageddon from the Astra Militarum codex, emphasizing aggressive mechanized infantry. That would certainly sell more Devilfish and Breachers. Am I right? Your mention of the Ksi'm'yen Sept is likely, I believe, as codex after codex has had a faction of "those stealthy guys", and it would sell more stealth suits and ghost keels.