The Thousand Sons Legion Trait: That Extra 6"

Prot

It's certainly always better to have an additional 6" as not having it and comming short. So yeah it's great offensive and defensive really. Reach always works like that. 
I do indeed see it as a boost that isn't a gigantic game influencer but usually good rules work like that. 

What I personally think might be the best aspect of it still is the combination of having those threat and defensive ranges which then add more space for Horrors to deepstrike. Or offcourse Tzaangors if you prefer them. 

In general I have the gut feeling that the best tactical aspect of TS is area denial and the ability to respond to offensive movements. This combined with their strong shooting should make them quite the relevant but very manouvreable gunline. Easier topped by 'better' gunlines and less by melee offenses other gunlines would have more problems with. 

Yes I agree that they are a very reactive force. I don't think we have the offensive might to just push turn 1 and cause a lot of annihilation (barring Magnus charge and/or webway pewpew surprise)

This what I like about the codex and most of the new ones in general. You can take fluffy lists, but options exist to cause alot of destruction.

WH responded to my question saying the extra 6" on denials is wishful thinking.  Manifestations only not denials.

Scott Kerr Good article thanks! Looking for confirmation that legion trait does or does not work on denials. The wording is specific in psychic powers "manifested" so I am inclined to say no, some folks in my group wondering though so thought I would ask.
Manage

· Reply · 23h
18057108_1816851418635489_87114286185341
Warhammer 40,000 Hey Scott,
We think that might be wishful thinking there.
The rules are pretty clear it's for Manifesting powers.
...See More
Manage

· Reply · 18h · Edited
10354686_10150004552801856_2203675011061
Scott Kerr Thank you, that is what I thought, thanks for putting it to rest.

I think it will be invaluable to cast the strong buffing powers from outside the deny range. Especially if the enemy has the dent on a 4+ stratagem or if they are Kronos tyranids.

This will be the most tactical reason I can think of. Others, like smiting from farther away late game and sniping characters is a more straight forward way to use it, but positioning units in such a way that you can cast warptime on your melee unit to charge faster while staying 24” away from the unit that can deny the power, will take some precise positioning

Yes I agree that they are a very reactive force. I don't think we have the offensive might to just push turn 1 and cause a lot of annihilation (barring Magnus charge and/or webway pewpew surprise)

I’m going for exactly that with a tzaangor blob deep striking and warptiming to get to combat. As well as allying in a bloodletter bomb and a pink horrors blob to get as much deep striking alpha strike as possible. The rest of the list holds the back line and is a second wave that gets the breathing room to do all they need to do from the three hordes that go in the enemies’ face

Anyone plan on trying out using the webway stratagem on two 30 strong squad of tzaangors to the face?

I'm thinking using the strategem for one squad of 10 rubrics, 30 Tzaangor, and 5 SO Terminators with a termi sorcerer and a couple others rushing up the field to support.

A thought occured to me while reading the codex. Our trait is add 6" to all power ranges yes? So when using infernal gateway, would that mean the 3" would also be boosted to 9?

18" for initial target and 9" for all units nearby.

Edited by Ahzek451

The wording is

The ranges of all psychic powers manifested by units with this ability are in increased by 6"

I would say that it is the initial range to see if it reaches but RAW I could see the argument that it includes any range in the description.