Thousand Sons without Tzaangor/horrors/cultists?

Varyn

Hey guys

I am trying to write an effective doubles list for an upcoming tournament, my doubles partner will be playing Khorne daemons; 2x bloodthirsters, 3x 10 bloodletters.

My question for discussion is: Is it possible to make a decent competitive list without taking hordes of tzaangors, cultists or horrors?

I believe my partner will be deepstriking 1 bloodthirster, so I think it would be wise to have something in my list that I can potentially send through the webway or deepstrike to support the bloodthirster.

1000 points feels like a tricky level if you don't use chaff type units, I find myself picking between the few units available and going around in circles. The theme is a small warband lead by Ahriman searching for an ancient Aeldari artefact he has seen in a vision, he uses whatever means and allies necessary (khorne daemons) to track down the artefact and kill its guardians.

Battalion +3CP

Ahriman 131

Terminator Sorcerer, staff, inferno CB, familiar 140

10 rubrics, 6 warpflamers, staff, plasma pistol, 291

5 rubrics, staff, inferno pistol 107

5 rubrics, staff, inferno pistol 107

Helforged Sicaran, lascannon sponsons, 220

996 points

The sorcerer deep strikes alongside the big rubric unit, casts warptime them as they come out of the webway so they can flame something. Ahriman, the small rubric units and sicaran sit back to deal with deepstriking units and objectives.

I also have 5 scarab terminators, helforged contemptor and more rubrics I could swap in.

What do you think?

Hey guys

I am trying to write an effective doubles list for an upcoming tournament, my doubles partner will be playing Khorne daemons; 2x bloodthirsters, 3x 10 bloodletters.

My question for discussion is: Is it possible to make a decent competitive list without taking hordes of tzaangors, cultists or horrors?

What do you think?

Hi! Well it really depends on what you guys want to do with the event. Is it just a cool thing to play at or do you guys have the intend to win the event? If the intend is to thake it I'd say even your friend would do better by dropping the Bloodthirsters and thaking more Daemon Princes instead.

I'd say the big question of this CP's come from Detachment edition is if it's possible to make a tournament winning list without thaking cheap HQ and cheap Troops. So far the objective result awnser is more or less no. Having said that, you can certainly present a decent competitive list but as above is the intend to just play or to win it? 

I think the list is cool but am almost certain that additional Horrors and/or Tzaangors would make it more difficult to deal with. The other question I have is how does your double event work out? Do you guys share drops, a CP pool etc?

The 2000 point doubles army consists of two 1000 point armies sharing at least 1 keyword, 1-2 detachments per player.

Command points are as follows: 3 base for the entire 2000 point army, each player adds any bonus CP's from their 1000 points to the total CP pool, which can be used by either player on the team. e.g. if one of the doubles players takes a battalion (3 CP) and the other takes a vanguard detachment (1 CP) the total for the team would be 7 (3 base + 3 + 1).

I guess that I could switch things around a bit and swap the 2x 5 rubrics for 2x 10 horrors, then put a combi-plasma on the sicaran and ahriman on the disc?

I'd have to drop the big rubric unit down to 9

Hey guys

Gonna be honest, I'd say no. Pure Marine lists are struggling against all the Hordes and whatnot out there currently. However since you're playing a 2v2 with the other guy taking a bunch of Bloodletters it's not as bad as if you were on your own I guess.

I tend to run a "marine heavy" thousand sons list, a generic 1k son list may have between 10 and 20 or so rubric marines. 

My Rubric list has 40. 

In most settings I can make the list work pretty well, but you do have to build around it. 

After the rubrics you set up for a couple of contingencies, one is Melee, the other is long range AT shooting. most "top tier" lists will have a horde unit or 2, this is less the fault of rubrics, and more the fault of the edition making "mass firepower and mass bodies" the generic top tier strategy more so then any other. 

If you do a rubric heavy list you need proper melee threats (daemon princes, maulerfiends, spawn would make another great unit that would help with that), and you would need Anti-tank firepower preferably at range.  Disco-Predators, Forgefiends with proper support (my favorite), and Defilers, Long-range helbrutes as well can all fit the bill in their own ways.  Mutaliths are well priced and tough with great melee output and the auras would help.  

So just some things you need to keep in mind, rubrics do a couple things really well, and the book made them better overall but still retain the primary weakness of the edition; Power armor this edition is weaker due to elite lists being innately weaker, so you build to compensate. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

Thanks for the feedback chaps, it's very useful to hear from other players and their experiences.

This is the latest iteration of my list:

Battalion 989 points

Daemon prince with wings, 2x talons, death hex, weaver of fates

Terminator sorcerer, staff, inferno CB, familiar, warptime, glamour of tzeench (deepstrike with large rubric unit)

9 rubrics, 6 flamers, boon (for sorcerer)

5 rubrics, temporal distort (for sicaran)

5 rubrics, (not sure which power)

Helforge sicaran, heavy bolter sponsons

This list feels a little better, but I am still unsure if it is quite right! 

Something to consider only since I saw Ahriman in the original list- I know you can make the prince or terminator sorcerer the warlord for +1 to cast but Ahriman on foot is a more appropriate target for Boon of Mutation and there is a reasonable chance he could roll +1 to psychic tests. I dunno, just brainstorming, but he is the dude who should have Death Hex for that 18" curse goodness. The prince should be diving into combat, yes, but it sucks if you lose that spell because you threw him up in there. Give it to Ahriman.