Joining the Air Force soon!

bozo69pd

How long will it take before I get free time to play a game again???

Seriously, any ex Air Force on the forums able to hazard a guess at that? All the bases on my dreamsheet actually have a GW shop nearby (haha). Hopefully between working like a slave and trying to pay attention to my family when I can, I'll eventually get to squeeze a game in. Or maybe I should just shelve the hobby for the next 4 years *Sob*

We've seen plenty of members here join the armed forces and find plenty of time to play the game throughout their service. You'll probably be a bit too preoccupied while you're going through your recruit training, but you may find time to play again once you finish that and are going through your occupational field schooling. At worst, you won't be able to play until you finish that schooling and get to your "real" unit.

Disclaimer - I'm not Air Force, ex or otherwise, but I've been here a long time and know that you'll be able to play (eventually).

It all depends on you tech school and the intensity of your CDCs. Do you know your afsc?

My original career field is dead now, but I was in Tech school for 13 months with very little down time. You then start on CDC's, mine were 8 books all about 200-300 pages. The quickest of my peers did it in 9 months, I took about 11. After that you will have more free time, until you are a team leading SrA or a NCO. After that your time starts diminishing again the more ranks you go up.

Made a friend who was a desk sitter at MPF, and he said his tech school and CDC were much less intense and he was playing video games in tech school.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

It all depends on you tech school and the intensity of your CDCs. Do you know your afsc?

My original career field is dead now, but I was in Tech school for 13 months with very little down time. You then start on CDC's, mine were 8 books all about 200-300 pages. The quickest of my peers did it in 9 months, I took about 11. After that you will have more free time, until you are a team leading SrA or a NCO. After that your time starts diminishing again the more ranks you go up.

Made a friend who was a desk sitter at MPF, and he said his tech school and CDC were much less intense and he was playing video games in tech school.

I scored well on the ASVAB and passed medical. I am waiting to hear back from the recruiter if I got any of the AFSC from my dream sheet. I basically chose computers, engineering, or drone sensor operator. Really hoping for drone sensor operator!

Ensure that you start working out now, if you are recycled during bmt there is a chance you could lose your afsc request. Second ask your recruiter for a detailed list of bmt schedule so you know what to expect. It's been a long time since I went through BMT, and times have significantly changed. I am not one to say if it's "easier". USAF BMT when I went through was focused on rapid memorization, physical fitness, and stress management, I imagine it's stayed the same core concepts, but what do I know.

Before you signed the dotted line ensure you ask about the tech school and length, CDC's and promotion growth. When I joined I messed up bad on this. I was burnt out from overloading myself with college and the 13 months of tech school+CDCs was crushing. I also joined a AFSC with only 300 people and the worst promotion rate I have ever seen. This put me back to even now days.

Try to get a job that can get you a Top Secret clearance as companies rather train someone than waste tens of thousands of dollars attempting to get a TS clearance for someone. Think it costs 10k just for the clearance and can rapidly go up the more programs you join such as SCI, NATO, FIVE EYES, PRP etc.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

15 year USAF active duty here.  Welcome to the Air Force!  It's going to be a while before your time is free once you hit BMT.  I don't know how long it is anymore, I think 6 weeks.  You will have no time to yourself, at least that was my experience  years ago.  I recommend attending the chapel at BMT, not just because of my personal beliefs, but also the MTIs will leave you alone during Chapel.  That hour of joy and respite from getting hounded is invaluable.

After BMT, you will go to your tech school, which are all over the US.  The enlisted side was still tightly controlled at tech school when I was there, although as the course went on your restrictions were gradually lifted (as officers we were not under restrictions.)  

Once you graduate tech school, your regular job will start.  Your schedule will depend on your career field and assignment.  I have had regular work hours (0730-1630), I have worked rotating shift work, I have worked 12s (more like 13s with change over), and at this point I just work until I have done enough I can go home (that's around 10 hours a day.)  Some career fields are more demanding than others (maintainers work like slaves, not so much at finance, etc.)  

Remember to keep up with your fitness!  Run 30 minutes at least 3 times a week and do daily push ups and sit ups, eat healthy, etc.  Also, if you haven't, start thinking about your long term plans.  Are you doing 4 or 6 and then bailing for the GI Bill, or are you thinking of staying long term?

When they give you the option, sign up for the 5 percent deduction from your pay for the TSP matching they just started.  It's a great deal.    

Bottom line, I would expect to get hobby time again once you are done with your tech school, although depending on how rigorous it is, you may get something on the weekend.  Your hobby time will evaporate once you have a family.  When I was single, even married, I had time.  Now with several kids it's basically non-existent (not that I mind, kids are wonderful.  Most of the time.)  

Feel free to ask any questions.

Wow thanks a bunch guys this is some really helpful info.

I am about to turn 34 right now, (age limit is 39) and BMT is 8.5 weeks long. Married for several years now with two boys ages 6 and 4. Currently I am a massage therapist and do about 8 hands on hours of deep tissue sports massage a day which is tiring. With all the rent hikes (Southern California) it is time for us to move and I would like to change careers haha.

So far I set up for 4 years enlisted but my recruiter told me if I change my mind I could sign up for reserves instead but it would most likely change my AFSC. Basically I have a month or so to decide whether my family and I should enjoy moving and 4 years of my enlistment and then I go to school for GI bill (which we are leaning towards), or I go reserves and use GI bill while working less hours.

It kind of feels like a tough choice!

You're going in at 34?!!! Holy crap. They're going to call you "gramps" and you're going to be older than your instructors.

Moving is the biggest PITA, especially with a family. There are always ways, but spouses often find it difficult to have meaningful careers, though they can often take advantage of education opportunities. Your boys, too, will face the challenge of starting fresh with friends, schools, etc. Even when you're not the one moving, if you live on base, others will be and your kids will see a rotation of new friends periodically. High school is the real trigger point - kids are very vulnerable emotionally at that time and they start making the friends they're most likely to have for life. This becomes difficult if they move. The converse of all this is that you and your family have an opportunity to see new places, and their adaptability and resilience will likely improve. Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy Japan (not sure if that's on your list) or one of the European bases (traveling throughout Europe is easy). All on the government's dime.

All of this is really moot if you only serve a single hitch, though. If you're not planning in making a career of it, serving on active duty for 4 years shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely take advantage of the GI Bill (no matter which option you choose).

Regardless of all of the well-intentioned advice we might give as faceless strangers on the Internet, make sure your family is involved in the decision-making, especially your spouse. There are lots of opportunities, but also challenges that your family needs to be prepared for.

When are you going through BMT? Lackland AFB (San Antonio, TX) is no joke in the summer. Your idyllic Southern California climate hasn't prepared you for the heat and humidity of a Texas summer.

Best of luck!

Yup, I will totally get made fun of for being older but I have a good sense of humor. My wife wants to travel for free too. I am also worried about BMT during the summer. I am on delayed enlistment which can take as long as 6 months (I think my recruiter did that on purpose to maximize my fitness time lol).

You're going in at 34?!!! Holy crap. They're going to call you "gramps" and you're going to be older than your instructors.

Moving is the biggest PITA, especially with a family. There are always ways, but spouses often find it difficult to have meaningful careers, though they can often take advantage of education opportunities. Your boys, too, will face the challenge of starting fresh with friends, schools, etc. Even when you're not the one moving, if you live on base, others will be and your kids will see a rotation of new friends periodically. High school is the real trigger point - kids are very vulnerable emotionally at that time and they start making the friends they're most likely to have for life. This becomes difficult if they move. The converse of all this is that you and your family have an opportunity to see new places, and their adaptability and resilience will likely improve. Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy Japan (not sure if that's on your list) or one of the European bases (traveling throughout Europe is easy). All on the government's dime.

All of this is really moot if you only serve a single hitch, though. If you're not planning in making a career of it, serving on active duty for 4 years shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely take advantage of the GI Bill (no matter which option you choose).

Regardless of all of the well-intentioned advice we might give as faceless strangers on the Internet, make sure your family is involved in the decision-making, especially your spouse. There are lots of opportunities, but also challenges that your family needs to be prepared for.

When are you going through BMT? Lackland AFB (San Antonio, TX) is no joke in the summer. Your idyllic Southern California climate hasn't prepared you for the heat and humidity of a Texas summer.

Best of luck!

Yeah, all this.  Don't let the military drive your family apart.  It can and it will if you let it.  

Also, I don't know if you can still select your AFSC or not based on your current status, but if I was enlisting for future career options, I would get either medical, skilled trade in CE somewhere, like electrician, or computer repair/network ops (communications AFSC), or computer network analysis (1N4, intel career field shred, it has huge bonuses.)  Then when you get out you'll have starting skills and opportunities.

I scored well on the ASVAB and passed medical. I am waiting to hear back from the recruiter if I got any of the AFSC from my dream sheet. I basically chose computers, engineering, or drone sensor operator. Really hoping for drone sensor operator!

I have worked in UAVs.  I recommend against UAVS.  

Edit: this is just me as a guy, but I am 99 percent confident your contract as an enlisted guy can be written such that you are guaranteed a certain AFSC, which I would insist upon.  Again, I don't know what you've signed on paper for yet or what your walking away options are at this point, but I would do research and see (don't just take your recruiters word for it.  Seriously.)  

Edited by templargdt

Any particular reason you are against UAV's Templar? From what I understand it is very boring with moments of high stress. I can handle that type of grind easily. They are stationed at Creech as well right? Las Vegas is very convenient to where ourselves, family, and friends live (AND THE LVO IS THERE MAN!). It seems like drone operator is much much faster training than pilot as well?

Regardless though I put the various computer operations jobs (it is kinda crazy how they are split into 10+ different departments) first. Medlab at the bottom (I have done that grind as a science intern... ughn).

It is extremely boring with a very short transition to high stress.  Also, you are watching pretty graphic stuff in HD at times.  The rotating shift work is a grind on everyone, to include your family.  Maybe it's not so bad now, but years ago the whole affair was pretty brutal. 

I am not familiar with the Sensor Operator syllabus timeline.

If Vegas is good for you, that's awesome.  However, not all UAVs are at Creech.  There is also Cannon AFB in New Mexico (which I would strenuously avoid) and some Guard units.  

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, still here. Thought I would just push through an update and get some feedback. It appears the main jobs I picked are still all full (drone operator and any cyber jobs). He asked me to try to build a list of 10-15 AFSC I have interests in total. I added Space systems operations and Geospatial intelligence, but man I am having trouble thinking of more stuff.

My ASVAB score was 95 overall, 93 A, 96 M, 97 E, and 98 G. Any ideas? We pushed the ship out date back to June 1.

Edited by bozo69pd

• 1 month later...

I just thought I would give a little update post on this. I did not realize what a long process this turns into, but at least I have had plenty of time to even burn myself out on 40k gaming for the next several months haha!

In lew of all the advice you guys gave me I switched from UAVs (especially because from what I heard lately all of the operators are going to Cannon right now) to a electrician/HVAAC role with 2M0X3 AFSC. My family and I are pretty used to the midwest weather, so getting stationed in Wyoming/Montanta/North Dakota should not be too bad. We are really praying for Cheyenne, Wyoming though (PLEASE NOT MINOT LOL).

Anyone here game around those parts?

• 1 year later...

Here is some advice to really help capitalize on this amazing opportunity.

Use every educational benefit available. CLEPS, DANTE, Tuition assistance.

Trust everyone, but verify everything for youself by looking at regulations and Air Force Instructions. Become a regulation subject matter expect.

Transfer your G.I Bill to your children. All to one or split it. Unless you are absolutely going to use it. Your children will get serious money while going to school. Equals basic allowance for housing at E-5 pay.

Your age is a benefit, not a laibility. Maturity and stability will serve you well.

Family first, always.

The Air Force will ask and ask of you, and only you will draw the line in the sand when it becomes too much. Know when to speak up and say no. Respectfully and factually.

Take care of yourself and your peers. Look out for one another.

Make your supervision and leadership look good, and you will look amazing. This is how you make impressions that matter.

Embrace the suck. It won't always be amazing, but it is your mentality that will make all the difference. I had some of my best times in the worst places and situations. Made the best friends, there and then, as well.

Make and leave everything better than you found it.

Most of all, enjoy all the nuances that less than 1% of the general population get to experience. It will change you (for the better).

V/r,

Dan

Edited by Overwhelming Odds