Best Death Guard Heresy Books

Charlo

Hive mind request... The Death Guard's story seems quite fractured across all of the HH written/ spoken media...

What are the best stories and where do I find them involving the XIVth? Hell, any are appreciated!

I've read most of the Path of Heaven which is obviously a gold mine for Mortarion as well as heard his little Daemonology short.

Cheers for the link RFD :smile.:

But yeah, the Death Guard have alas had very little coverage overall. But we have at least got confirmation of their novel coming just before the Siege (even if we don't know the author yet). We'll also have Mortarion's Primarchs book to look forward to at some point.

For me, the best ones they've had so far are Daemonology and Blackshield, maybe Exocytosis too. Flight of the Eisenstein was also good IMO, but more of a Garro book than a Death Guard one specifically.

Edited by Tymell

I haven't read PoH yet, too much stuff to read and not enough time! But I really want to as I loved Mortarion in Scars.

Mortarion's is the Primarchs book I want to read the most and I'm really hoping that we get at least a Thypon/Typhus book either as the one covering the fall to Nurgle of the DG or as a separate book altogether.

Flight of the Eisenstein is a good place to start, though as someone in this thread already mentioned, it does focus mainly on Nathaniel Garro and his band of legionaries than the Death Guard legion as a whole. The first time I read the book, I thought it was a bit slow; I have re-read it twice since then and enjoyed it more each time. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention Blackshield, when I saw this thread again.

Read it a couple of days ago and it's good. One could say a typical Wraight. :)

Though it's "just" a short, I'd love to see this to continue.

Flight of the Eisenstein does focus on Garro but I think the first part does a decent job of showing the latter Crusade-era DG. Swallow showed the rifts between Terran and Barbaran legionaries, personified by Garro and Grulgor, their customs such as the post-battle cups (only Mortarion would celebrate by drinking poison :happy.:), and the bitterness which drove most of them to the Warmaster's side.

As noted elsewhere, Mortarion more often appears in 'other legions' books', but at least he's portrayed 'positively' in that the Warmaster considers him one of his few reliable allies and gives him important tasks to handle.

But I do agree that the DG should've had more screentime than, say, the Shattered Legions. At least the Forge World history books are retroactively fixing that.

See, I really think FotE neglected to get into the Legion's character. Grulgor's an arse and disdainful of weakness, but there's nothing else to him. Issvtan III feels smaller than it should (like Temeter is leading a company of a hundred as opposed to a force numbering in the tens of thousands, and that's a bigger issue earlier in the book) and while there is a "we are the Death Guard and we fight like this" moment it doesn't really make them look that impressive.

Plus it feels like there's a weird lack of history between Garro and Mortarion.

Edited by bluntblade