Forgeworld - Squiggoths

Aothaine

So, I am really curious. What are your opinions of the Squiggoths. Looking at them briefly, there is not much to dislike. They are beefy troop transports for a strong firebase. 

The Squiggoth loaded up with 10 of the Bustas (10 Missile Launchers) would be pretty damn cool. Their not super fast but they can charge units and cause some serious damage. What I'm thinking is something like this...

Vanguard Detatchment

HQ - Weirdboy -62

HQ - Weirdboy - 62

Elite - Painboy - 53

Elite - Painboy - 53

Elite - Painboy - 53

Elite - Tankbustas (Missile Launchas)x8 - 136

Elite - Tankbustas (Missile Launchas)x8 - 136

Elite - Tankbustas (Missile Launchas)x9 - 153

HS - Squiggoth (Zzap Gun) - 208

Then you add this detachment so something else fun. What do you think? Are mobile platforms for Tankbustas a good idea?

This small part of the list comes out to 1315 points.

Edited by Aothaine

What are the Pain boys for in this list?

Painboys are there to revive the tankbustas. Pretty sure they can do their thing while in these beasts. Also the weirdboys can be busy bringng the wrath of Gork and Mork to the enemy.

What are the Pain boys for in this list?

Painboys are there to revive the tankbustas. Pretty sure they can do their thing while in these beasts. Also the weirdboys can be busy bringng the wrath of Gork and Mork to the enemy.

I'm not trying to be rude but if the Tankbustas are being transported then they can't be targeted so they won't need the pain boy. 

also. I don't think  the pain boys dok's tools work while he is transported.. At any rate I'd double check about that. 

What do you think? Are mobile platforms for Tankbustas a good idea?

I don't know. I have no faith in Tankbustas at all. Maybe?

I'm not trying to be rude but if the Tankbustas are being transported then they can't be targeted so they won't need the pain boy. 

also. I don't think  the pain boys dok's tools work while he is transported.. At any rate I'd double check about that. 

I do really like Tankbustas. I think they are amazing. Also, I have built a temp list that I am working on getting ready for LVO 2019. I'll post it in the list section for scrutiny. Just keep in mind that my list is designed for ITC so it might not be casual friendly.

In the list you'll see I have dropped the Weirdboys and only kept one Painboy for the main assuault unit of Nobs with the Warlord and Big Mek with KFF. 

Still, if anyone else has ideas on how to use Squiggoths please share. The more ideas I can get the merrier. ^_^

Also, Thank you for the replay Warhead01!

I do hope I have been helpful. Just say your list post have to read it still. My usual Scrumgrod is trying to get ITC competitive so I need to make a list for ITC format and learn how it works. Not so much because I am interested but I hope to make our games more...? even? and at least know what's going on. We played a few ITC missions last edition which I was not ready for and I did not have very much fun with that and he had been playing TAU. So really no fun at all.

I've never used the Squigoths I do own a Gargantuan Squigoth and I read it was working well last year in Atlanta.  Three of them should be good, right? 

I do hope I have been helpful. Just say your list post have to read it still. My usual Scrumgrod is trying to get ITC competitive so I need to make a list for ITC format and learn how it works. Not so much because I am interested but I hope to make our games more...? even? and at least know what's going on. We played a few ITC missions last edition which I was not ready for and I did not have very much fun with that and he had been playing TAU. So really no fun at all.

I've never used the Squigoths I do own a Gargantuan Squigoth and I read it was working well last year in Atlanta.  Three of them should be good, right? 

Well you don't want to run three Gargantuan Squiggoths. They are around 481 points each at the cheapest I believe. Running three Squiggoths though is a good option. They are only 204 points each and can carry 10 infantry or 5 mega armoured Orks. So you could load out three Squiggoths with the Tankbustas and then fill out the rest of the list with green tide. The cool thing about Squiggoths is that you can mount assault weapons on them and since the Tankbustas have assault weapons as well you can advance every turn with the Squiggoths if necessary to get into range. 

Boyz 30 strong 10 with shootas and 20 with choppa & slugga. Use the Shootas as ablative wounds but they can also shoot as the boyz advance up the table. 

There are a lot of really cool and effective ways to use Orks in 8th. Once the codex drops this forum will explode for a week or two with ideas. 

I just really like the idea of Squiggoths and since they are legal in the ITC I was wondering if anyone had any experience using them. If you have any ideas or thoughts please share them. I'll be taking my Index to work today and I'll check in on this post from time to time and post any decent combos I think we might have outside the normal Green Tide.

Well you don't want to run three Gargantuan Squiggoths. They are around 481 points each at the cheapest I believe. Running three Squiggoths though is a good option. They are only 204 points each and can carry 10 infantry or 5 mega armoured Orks. So you could load out three Squiggoths with the Tankbustas and then fill out the rest of the list with green tide. The cool thing about Squiggoths is that you can mount assault weapons on them and since the Tankbustas have assault weapons as well you can advance every turn with the Squiggoths if necessary to get into range. 

I just had a look at squigoths. I may have to get a few. Not sure when I would, My Gargantuan is in need of repair from years of storage. Haven't used it in a long time. I really need to buy the super lobbas for it. 

I think there's a 3rd party bitz maker that has some nice ones. 

Boyz 30 strong 10 with shootas and 20 with choppa & slugga. Use the Shootas as ablative wounds but they can also shoot as the boyz advance up the table. 

H haven't spent much time thinking about mixed units this edition. My current list idea uses the mob up stratagem so I could see mixing.  I put no faith in advancing and shooting. I've tried it and gave up on it immediately. I'm just not even lucky by averages when dice are involved.  (My dice.. They are unkind to me..)

There are a lot of really cool and effective ways to use Orks in 8th. Once the codex drops this forum will explode for a week or two with ideas. 

Ug.. I know. A thousand voices all crying out..Look at me! answer me! Me! My thing that I thought!!! lol

It turned me off he the IG subforum last edition. lol. ( a few years ago.)

I just really like the idea of Squiggoths and since they are legal in the ITC I was wondering if anyone had any experience using them. If you have any ideas or thoughts please share them. I'll be taking my Index to work today and I'll check in on this post from time to time and post any decent combos I think we might have outside the normal Green Tide.

Well. I do hope some one who has used them will chime it! I would like to read about it as well. 

If you do run a Gargantuan squiggoth my advice is make sure you screen it when fighting anyone with hard hitting melee. Fought one at the LVO this year and after knocking it down to 24 wounds in the shooting phase my Imperial knight got into combat and finished it off giving me full points for Titan slayer in the first turn.

If you do run a Gargantuan squiggoth my advice is make sure you screen it when fighting anyone with hard hitting melee. Fought one at the LVO this year and after knocking it down to 24 wounds in the shooting phase my Imperial knight got into combat and finished it off giving me full points for Titan slayer in the first turn.

Dang! First turn that is brutal. I'm thinking of just running a herd of normal Squiggoths at this point. The Gargantuan is really expensive and cannot carry mega armour. 

Good to know though. Thank you for the advice here. Can the Imperial Knights charge over units? Did the player you faced have a KFF on it to give it a 5++?

Dang! First turn that is brutal. I'm thinking of just running a herd of normal Squiggoths at this point. The Gargantuan is really expensive and cannot carry mega armour. 

Good to know though. Thank you for the advice here. Can the Imperial Knights charge over units? Did the player you faced have a KFF on it to give it a 5++?

Knights can only fall back over infantry so just keep a screen in front of it that can't get shot off in one turn.

As for the shield it's against shooting isn't it? I finished it off in melee with the Chainsword. Otherwise it must have ended up just out of range since he didn't roll any saves when I hit it in combat.

Knights can only fall back over infantry so just keep a screen in front of it that can't get shot off in one turn.

As for the shield it's against shooting isn't it? I finished it off in melee with the Chainsword. Otherwise it must have ended up just out of range since he didn't roll any saves when I hit it in combat.

Ohhh snap you're right! it is only against shooting attacks. The more you know. I wonder how it would work as a Weirdboy tower of doom and just have three mobs of 30 boyz around it. Just picture the Waaaagh energy!