What's the best transport for an Inquisitor?

Ishagu

Hey guys I'm thinking about running a bunch of Inquisitors. What's the best and most thematic transport from amongst the Imperium armies? I don't want something too point heavy but am open to Forgeworld also :-)

Assuming you didn't want to scratch build something, the first choice for me would be an Arvus, second choice would be a Valkyrie.

Now having said Valkyrie, you might consider using a Corvus Darkstar as a "counts as" Valk, because <inquisition>.

I have an Arvus to build, but will eventually get a Darkstar.

Any thoughts on a Taurox prime since the point hike?

As for Chimera I quite like the auto cannon turret from FW.

I find it annoying that Scions can't ride in one however - they are perfect for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

You may want to stick with the Taurox prime if you are running the Scions.  I still think it's a solid firebase however I have no real knowledge of the price point.  The chimera is quite good with an autocannon and you can fit a fair amount of models in there.  For the biggest bang Charlo is right, that land raider is punishing when the Inquisitor is giving it the rerolls.  

As a huge Ordo Xenos fan... I also echo the Deathwatch Blackstar despite your draw to land vehicles, definitely reminds me of Eisenhorn's guncutter.  

I run a pure Scions army so I know a bit about the Taurox Prime. You will find that for the cost of a basic Leman Russ with no additional weapons, around 154, you can get a missile launche that fires two frags/two kraks  and two autocannons. That is the most expensive loadout, save for tossing in a heavy stubber or storm bolter. You can go much cheaper with the gatling gun or taurox battle cannon, while instead of autocannons you can use two hot shot volley guns. The loadout depends heavily on what you want it to do; it can be a decent anti-tank/vehicle platform with the missiles and autocannons and it can mulch infantry with the gatling and hot shots. The Battle Cannon can be thought of as a D6 autocannon where the damage is D3.

It isn't too tough- 10w, T6- but it moves fast and can hit hard. If you're looking for a vehicle that is more of a fire support vehicle, it is a great choice.

I find it annoying that Scions can't ride in one however - they are perfect for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

Chimeras are sadly quite overcosted yet cool.

Scions can't ride in them though? I thought you only needed to be infantry with Astra Militarum keyword (or Authority of the Inquisition) to ride in one?

As others have said Taurox Primes are fast and can actually do some damage (unlike Chimeras) but are not too rugged and are really expensive. Still, they won't break the bank the way a Land Raider would which under 7th was basically mandatory if you had an assault-oriented inquisitor/retinue.

Scions can't ride in them though? I thought you only needed to be infantry with Astra Militarum keyword (or Authority of the Inquisition) to ride in one?

As others have said Taurox Primes are fast and can actually do some damage (unlike Chimeras) but are not too rugged and are really expensive. Still, they won't break the bank the way a Land Raider would which under 7th was basically mandatory if you had an assault-oriented inquisitor/retinue.

Actual Scions can't no. Acolytes can but I'd prefer the AM Scions instead as they have better stats.

Actual Scions can't no. Acolytes can but I'd prefer the AM Scions instead as they have better stats.

Scions can ride in Chimeras. The only restriction I see in my codex is Astra Militarum Infantry, so they're good. Now, Chimeras can't be Militarum Tempestus regiment, so they'd ruin any doctrines in a MT detachment.

As for Chimera I quite like the auto cannon turret from FW

This is a fairly straight forward conversion if you don't want to get the FW turret. I too, prefer the autocannon turret on the Chimera and a little plastic tubing and a couple of cuts gets you a nice looking, upgunned Chimera.

gallery_15184_11741_604902.jpg

gallery_15184_11741_172468.jpg

Edited by Honda

Why do you think Scions can't ride in Chimeras?

Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus is pretty cool.

LOADS of Dakka and gets the ORDO keyword to get some re-rolls, plus you can get command points back.

It has <Ordo> so it benefits from anything your Monkey wants to give it, it also ignores cover, and it throws out enough Dakka to make a Flash Git jealous. Only downsides is that it only carries <Ordo> models so you're going to be filling it with Alcolytes until the army gets a proper update.

Why do you think Scions can't ride in Chimeras?

I just had it in my head for some reason. Might look at 10 Scions in a Chimera, thought they get pricey pretty fast. Same points as Sisters of Battle.

I like the Land Raider Prometheus a lot and wish I could make a decent inquisition list with it in it (waiting very, very patiently for a codex that might help with this.) It packs an awful lot of dakka for its points. People really overlook the power of the quad-heavy bolter and this is especially emphasized when combined with its ability to ignore cover or the perks of a nearby jokaero or the Quarry ability. It is a ton of points though, so be aware of that. It can earn those back though, I promise.

I'm converting a Land Speeder Storm, since Eisenhorn nips about on a speeder in the books.

Inquisitors can't use land speeder storms because it specifies only scouts riding in it and inquisitors only get around faction keywords.

That reminds me: I hope GW says we can use them in next month's FAQ. I shot them an email for the FAQ in hopes of us getting a good response.

Narrative play (or open play with house rules with friends) would let you play with them though.

I'm converting a Land Speeder Storm, since Eisenhorn nips about on a speeder in the books.

Inquisitors can't use land speeder storms because it specifies only scouts riding in it and inquisitors only get around faction keywords.

Yup, narrative/Inq28 play is what it's for. I have an Arbites Rhino and a Chimera waiting for more structured play.