Captain MAGpie's Stormraven Conversion tutorial and template

Another tutorial of a project that is a lot of fun and fairly easy to do. The Stormraven Heavy "Big Burd".

6rYCdnx.jpg

8ZTDO7I.jpg

sWjSmNE.jpg

O3BNVQz.jpg

Tutorial on my blog: http://www.captmagpie.co.uk/2018/02/is-it-brick-is-it-plane-caw-caw-mofo.html

Edited by captain_magpie

• 10 months later...

I has taken me almost a whole year to finally get round to this, but here she is:

20190202 153316

20190202 153335

20190202 153353

20190202 153409

I have just spotted an obvious mistake, in that I cut the tail panels off the engines, but forgot to put them at the back, so that has now been remedied.

You will also notice I ditched the Servitor turret, (because I really hate everything about it.) What I did instead was cut down the air intake behind the turret to make the profile lower, and instead used the Storm Talon's Assault Cannon turret underslung. I've seen other people place the turret directly under the assault ramp, but the lengthening of the legs that would require is, imo, unfeasible. I realised that a turret, placed further back, would not interfere with the landing gear, and the Talon turret also has landing gear of its own, so it looks sensible.

I did then had to build a new flying base mount, but that wasn't such a big deal.

What I like most about your template Magpie is how you continue the hull shape at the top along the length of the extension, it's complicated to fit, but really worth the effort. Thank you very much for the template!

WOW! Now that looks amazing. I Absolutely love the Belly-turret! That is something I have not seen before and its really awesome. I must say cutting down the intake also did quite a bit for the shape. 

And yes, you are right, the fit is not 100% plug-and play. I have tried a few different strategies to get it to work easier, but I got lazy. I have another coming up in the future, not sure when between life and... well life right now, but I am hoping to simplify the template a little more at that point. Really glad you found it useful. 

Man, you made this your own and I love it. Thank you so much for sharing Brother Adelard. I appreciate it very much.

I can't take all the credit for the intake, I saw that elsewhere, but thank you very much, it was a lot of fun. Looking back at yours, I can see a lot of things I would like to add and play with, but top on the finishing list is sitting down with all of the seams, a tub of liquid green stuff and a sculpting tool. Currently the thing is as airtight as a colander!

All that remains now is working out how to cobble together a replacement turret for that StormTalon...

Edited by Brother Adelard

I did have an idea for a converted Stormtalon as well.

I found this on the internet a while back: http://gravengames.co.uk/project-storm-orca/

I love the concept, but it took me a while to work out what was wrong with it. The housings for the engines are just too round, nothing the Imperium makes is that round, so the engines don't match the design. I reckon a better version could be mocked up using say an octagonal engine mount out of plasticard. I'm just not good enough at design to do it, feel free to have a crack at it!

@ Brother Adelard: Man, yeah, tell me about the putty filling. And believe me, I thought I was precise. Turns out, I need practice. But I am happy with it. More frustration = more love... if it works out. 

And I like that Stormtalon idea you have. That looks pretty cool. I did a helicopter conversion on one of those, and it turned out pretty cool. Dual-rotors looks pretty damn sweet to though. I am now also considering it :D Damn you man!

@ Brother Lunkhead: Glad you like it! And I really hope its not too late! Post pics please. I love to see new ideas and awesome builds.

• 4 months later...

Hate to bump this thread (at least, without a picture of my own Big Burd) but there's something I need to ask:

Stormraven_Conversion_21.jpg

And as the instructions above say: 

1. Glue part 1 on top of part 2 with the overlap (as shown by red dashed line). Make sure you do it opposite sides for the Port and Starboard sides of the craft.
  2. Allow to cure properly.
  3. Putty all them holes, file and sand smooth.
  4. Glue the cosmetic parts as you wish. They are designed to disguise some of the seams that could occur as a result of imperfect cuts.

My question is this: The instructions say glue part 1 on top of part 2, but the image shows it the other way around with part 2 on top of part 1.... Which is it really? :lol:

Oh snap! Well spotted. The image is correct. 2 goes on top of one. So basically, one will be deeper, which will allow for the slight off-set between the roof and floor widths. I will go fix that instruction right now! :biggrin.:

Always willing to help fix flaws in the STC :laugh.:

Just checking as well, have you fixed the goof you mentioned in the instructions about the roof not having notches for the thrusters? Or is that also not fixed? :tongue.:

Edited by Gederas

No, actually haven't gotten around to measure it out. I have another burd here waiting to be build which i intended to measure up to make sure its exact. But you will see when you assemble it, its a very very minor oversight and you will recognise the fix straight up. Really not a big issue, and i have been told by a couple of folks who have built their versions of it, that they did not even notice. Maybe i am too nit-picky.

Hmmm... I see. Well, that means I'll be able to build my Big Burd then, seeing as how I picked up a Stormraven at Warhammer Day yesterday.

Well, unless I managed to :cuss up the template printout :lol: But I'll figure that out before starting the plasticard cutting.

Edited by Gederas