Guide Me, My Brothers - Help the New Guy

Callan

I'm brand new to the hobby.  As in, I'm still painting my first minis.

However, there are goals to set and minis to covet.

I've got the Dark Imperium set.  My Primaris Marines are being painted as Ultramarines.  What I want is advice on a plan on how to grow from this humble beginning into a mighty fighting force.  What units do you suggest I buy next?  What are some long-term goals I should consider?

Considerations:

1) I'm a lore nerd from way back, but I don't have any existing ties to the minis.  If the Primaris seem to be the direction that GW is going for Space Marines in the future, I'm cool with my armies being all-Primaris.  Their maybe-heretical nature seems a bit... spicy.  :biggrin.:   On the other hand, if I'm better served with Smurf Classic, I'll do that too.

2) $$ is a consideration, but not an absolute barrier.  I'll splash out what I need, within reason.

3) I'm a fan of realistic unit composition.  The ideas in this "Battle-Forged Armies" section intrigue me.

4) I don't mind splashing in other Imperial factions if it helps, but I want to maintain some focus.

5) At first, I'll often be playing my Ultramarines against my own Death Guard.  As such, I'll want to build the Death Guard up in a manner similar to how I'm building my Ultramarines.  If you have any input along those lines, I'd appreciate it.  If not, that's fine.  I'll be posting for parallel advice on the appropriate forum soon.

Well if you want to future proof your army, Primaris are indeed the way to go.  The Dark Imperium set seems to cover the basics rather well.  Maybe a unit of Aggressors to expand things a bit, or another unit of Hellblasters or Interceptors...or Intercessors.  Really the range is currently so small that redundancy happens rather quickly. 

Best not to get too much grey plastic on your table at one time, if you intend to paint.  If the pile grows too big most folks suffer from painting paralysis.

As for allies, Imperial Guard are a current favorite for Imperial armies.  Afraid I can't help you with unit composition there.

Yeah, I hadn't thought much about the limitations inherent in the line itself... interesting.  Still, hoping for guidance on which is more effective than what, most efficient purchases, etc.  If there's one unit type that is more useful in more situations, and another that's strictly worse, that's good information to have, if you follow.

The rule I'm going with is not to purchase anything new until I've finished painting what I've got.  Fortunately, I'm really liking the painting.

I do love the Guard, and eventually will start a full army of them.

Currently Primaris struggle with bringing effective anti-armour weaponry. Their sole source of lascannons is the Repulsor which is an expensive (both money- and points-wise), not-all-that-easy-to-build kit. That said, if you have enough plasma weapons pointed at a vehicle (Hellblasters, Inceptors, and Redemptor Dreadnoughts have access to these), a good Shooting phase should see it destroyed.

You can offset this weakness by using Astra Militarum Imperial Guard allies but since you're starting out, I suggest you don't focus too much on that at this stage. Get the Dark Imperium set painted to a standard you're happy with and get playing! :tu:

I'd save up for the Repulsor. As was mentioned, pure Primaris don't have any really effective antitank guns in their infantry, so either a Repulsor or even a Predator would let you bring lascannons - the real go-to tank killers of this edition - to the party.

And yet, they don't have that ruthless Predator stratagem.  Of course Dreads are far more my speed than shooty tanks, but there's no denying the pain that Killshot brings to the table (if you're willing to field 3 of them, of course).

I'm willing to buy a Repulsor as soon as I finish painting my current batch, if that's what my army needs.  I'm just trying to figure out if that's more of a benefit at this point than an equivalent value of infantry units, and if I should be prioritizing Aggressors, Hellblasters, etc.  Then there's the question of Apothecaries and Chaplains...

Well, anti armor is rather crucial at times.  If the options are either a Repulsor or lots of Hellblasters, I suppose I'd start by picking between those two.

Can't say I see a Chaplain being much use to the current Primaris line.  Their only basically-assault-oriented unit is Reivers, and they deploy differently than the Chaplain would.  On the other hand, the model's not half bad.  Priorities and all that.  :rolleyes:

Well, anti armor is rather crucial at times.  If the options are either a Repulsor or lots of Hellblasters, I suppose I'd start by picking between those two.

Can't say I see a Chaplain being much use to the current Primaris line.  Their only basically-assault-oriented unit is Reivers, and they deploy differently than the Chaplain would.  On the other hand, the model's not half bad.  Priorities and all that.  :rolleyes:

This is good to know.  Chaplain is currently off the list, then.  Apothecary for support, Repulsor for anti-armor... what about anti-horde?

Most of Primaris seems equipped for anti-horde, so far as weaponry is concerned.  Deep Striking jumpers with heavy bolter pistols, Aggressors that can spew bolts like really angry fountains, long range rapid fire with a moderate AP on Intercessors, and so on.  From what I hear, Aggressors are best armed with pew-pew rather than flamer woosh-sizzle.

But to reiterate, this is all second hand knowledge.  I do not sully my hands with such heresy! :teehee:

Welcome, brother :-)

You should look to get the following models:

-More Hellblasters, you want 2 - 3 squads in your list.
-Intercessors and Inceptors are always good (Intercessors are your back and modfield objective holders, the Inceptors arrive from reserve to harass enemy troops)
-Repulsor Tank - equip it with Las Talon and Las Cannons to deal with heavy armour.
-The Primarch, Roboute Guilliman - the best general to lead the mighty Ultramarines
-Reivers
-A Librarian

I wouldn't bother with Agressors, they don't really suit the Ultras.

A 2k list could look like this:

-Librarian   (Psychic Support)
-Guilliman   (Counter charge unit and Aura to enhance efficiency of your units)
-1 x Squad of Intercessors/Reivers/Redemptor   (I'd favour Intercessors for securing objectives ahead of Reivers or a Redemptor Dread)
-2 x Squads of Inceptors   (Anti Horde)
-3 x Squads of Hellblasters   (Anti Elite/Monster/Vehicle)
-2 x Repulsor Tanks   (Anti Vehicle/Monster AND Anti Horde - Even if running dual Las the tanks still have 20+ shots each from anti infantry weapons)

This is a Spearhead detachment, making use of less HQ options so you can include more hard hitting units, like the 3 Squads of Hellblasters.
You can grab more squads of Hellblasters cheap from ebay, same with an extra squad of Inceptors. Guilliman and Repulsor would be the most expensive items in the list.

Edited by Ishagu

They don't need anti horde, imo. Between two Repulsors, 2 Inceptor squads and other units that will be 100+ shots potentially.

The problem with Aggressors is delivery and survivability. They need to stand still to really be worthwhile in shooting, but their range is limited. If TC was running Raven Guard I'd be suggesting a big focus on Aggressors as he can deploy them near the enemy.

5 Aggressors in a Repulsor is pretty cool however, as a Termie style assault unit. I think that's how I'd run them

Fantastic.  This is going to be a long-term project, especially as I won't buy more until I finish painting what I have, but this gives me a goal.

Firepower, thank you for your help too.  I notice you're in St Louis.  If you're ever up in KC, send me a message and I'll buy you a beverage.

Just to defend the Chaplain; Intercessors (and things based on their Chassis; Reivars and Hellblasters), aren’t bad melee Units. They are solid counter assault unit and good push/anchor styled units like the Crusader or Grey Hunter Squads. Specifically 3 attack PowSwords on Intercessors Sgt makes their combat output roughly equivalent to a mid teir combat character.

Not too much experience but for what it's worth I think the Aggressors are being underestimated - they can put out a ton of S4 firepower and seem like prime units to match across the field (being able to advance and fire without penalty as they close into range) and set themselves into cover around an objective to hold off the tides of Imperial Guard/Tyranid troops (being able to fire twice if they didn't move, doubling their damage output to 36 boltstorm shots plus 6-36 fragstorm shots, all at 3+ BS), so while not exactly optimal against solid hitters like Terminators deep striking, they should be able to mow down a cheap horde easily enough - they're situational but powerful at what they're intended for I think?

Do:

1. Play the models you love.  Unless you are a intensely competitive tournament junkie this is the top advice.  If you are a competitive alpha gamer you probably have a good idea what to do.  What I like is the infantry.  I'm putting bodies on the table and giving them a lot of guns.  So what models excite you?  

2. Get Guilliman.  No if's, but's or anything else.  

3. Get Tigurius.  Same as above but you can throw in a if or but... just not both.

4. Formulate a path forward.  For example, if you can currently field 1000 points then figure out how you can get to 1250 then 1500 then 1850 and then 2000.  That makes the task more manageable.  You just slowly scale it up.  

If you have models you like and Guilliman, nothing bad can really happen.  You will like your army and have fun with it and it wont every be weak.  It might not be top tier but it will have teeth.