Hows and Whys of Codex Tau Auxiliaries

Skaorn

I was reading this article this morning:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/03/40k-the-tau-book-we-really-need.html

It has me thinking about how to go about doing it. I agree the Tau need an Auxillary codex but the article seem to suggest taking the Kroot Merc list and throwing things at it to see what sticks. I think this kind of design would have trouble being a cohesive army. Ideally I'd rather see individual codexes for each, starting with the Kroot, but that's just me. Maybe designing a codex so that each species has their own separate entry that you can select one to build some different types of detachments out of could be another option.

What do you think? What do you want to see in it? How do you think it should work? Hell, if you want, even just make up your own auxiliary species and units for fun.

I too would prefer seeing a whole Codex for different auxilliary races. At least for Kroot and Demiurg. However I don't think that's very likely to happen. If GW ever decides to give the T'au Empire some love other than Battlesuits then it would most likely be a compilation Codex of different auxilliary races ... and that makes me kinda sad.

I'd love to see Gue'vessa rules for the Necomunda gangers to represent Hive gangs that became mercs for the tau.

Escher with Pulse guns/Goliaths with well their equipment

I could see Kroot rounds being an upgrade to autoguns you could buy and is a concept I would want Gue'vessa to have instead of lasguns or Pulse weapons. I'd also like to see them get vehicles that were taken out of Fire Caste service and given over to auxiliaries (Tau vehicles before they could hover). I want Gue'vessa to be more technologically advanced than IG, but don't have the cutting edge Tau technology.

I don't really see how you could really do a mash up codex and tie so many different ideas together to make it work. Maybe if you had a small core of Tau units to draw from with a large pool of auxiliaries to tack on. It would feel strange to me to have a shaper council being in charge of a swarm of Vespid and artillery from the Demiurge without a Tau presence in the army when playing it straight. I would feel cheated though if the Tau units were not unique to the codex though.

I like auxiliaries just a little bit, as in a lot. As In I don't care if people think they're bad I will take them and they will do stuff.

That being said the one thing GW could do is dig out the old kroot mercenaries from the white dwarf, and have that as a new faction. That was cool and needs potential revisiting.