Enlightened: How big and how many?

For those of you embracing our more "goat" side of life, how many enlightened are you taking? and how big is your squad looking?  AND which weapon do you use? 

I have so far 12 in total, 6 are built as bows, and the other 6 are....just disks and bodies on bases.... I actually cant decide bows vs spears, but every instinct is telling me to go straight bows, which would leave me with 12 bows, solid unit of 9, 2 units 6, or even 3 units of 4 to fill out a outrider detachment. (The 3 units might be a go-to pick honestly since that prevents LD issues and the shaman Aura doesnt care which unit it buffs) 

Thoughts? I have a feeling that spears are the kind of unit that will work once, and ONLY once.  Once you charge something with those spears of substantial value and your opponent sees what kind of hurt they can output, I think most opponents will  not let that happen twice. 

So a large part of me thinks 12 bows, a shaman, and a disc sorcerer within spitting distance is a great "mobile firebase" that can go into the mid-field and output some serious hurt.  And of course they are cheap enough where we dont really care all that much if an opponent is throwing lots of fire at you. 

I'm going to magnetise mine so I don't have to decide! But honestly I think the bow will get better usage.

Although the spears would be great as a back up counter attack or to finish what the bows don't kill. Even back up to sorcerer on disc w/seers bane.

I've got 6 but want to add another 6 to round out options like you've said. 12 seems optimal and relatively cheap.

Speargoats are certainly a good unit, but the bows seem to bring an enormous amount of value to the table. Tzaangors, Princes, and to a lesser extent Scarabs already have the mobile CC capability pretty well covered, whereas I don't think there's anything that quite replicates what the bows are able to do.

I find that running a set of Spears with a set of Bows have served me well. It's very much a one-two punch where the shooting softens the target and the spears finish it. Spears die every game, but if the discs come in off of a flank I can usually get 2-3 rounds of success.

I usually roll 9 spears, knowing half will die turn one from a player who knows what they do, and 6 bows. Bows degrade to harassment once my spears are gone though, finishing off the last few wounds on tougher targets.

I can easily see reasons for both big and small units of both bows and spears:unsure.:

Small units will largely ignore morale and as the OP said they still get auras from both DPs/exalteds and shamans. In addition they unlock detatchments for a reasonable price (in points)

But the large units are prime targets for buffs. Both bows and spears get to enjoy prescience to reach that 6+ hit-roll. And the spears seem awesome for cycle of slaughter and they can be targeted by the boon of change. Spears will benefit from all the results; +1 attack, +1 strenght and +1 toughness.

And a full unit of enlightened is quite cheap for what they bring.

This ended up as a kind of "yes please, I´ll have them both"

Umm, damn. I'm not going to be magnetising the enlightened. Just realised they have different bodies for bows and spears. Dammit. Oh well.

I think I'll go with 3 of each for now as I like both! Then add another 3 of each later.

Edited by Re'Koleq't

Umm, damn. I'm not going to be magnetising the enlightened. Just realised they have different bodies for bows and spears. Dammit. Oh well.

I think I'll go with 3 of each for now as I like both! Then add another 3 of each later.

I tried at first to magnetize the torso. It did not work so well. It probably could be done, but it is a royal pain.

I tried at first to magnetize the torso. It did not work so well. It probably could be done, but it is a royal pain.

I agree with you brother. I it crossed my mind too when I was dry building them but decided bot worth the effort when I'll be using both types anyway.