In the company of wolves - Grey Slayer #1 040718

Honda

Your really ploughing your own furrow here. Totally different. I’m getting the impression of a group of savages hunting by moonlight.

Then I'd say I'm on the right track. That is what I am after. I'll continue.

Im slightly lost on the armour. You said it’s blotchy grey. I can see maybe red and white little lines too. Is this battle damage, warp taint, lack of resources in the warp for repair and replace, camo?

I appreciate you saying that. It tells me (and I agree), the armor the way I am presenting it now, isn't working. It should be obvious that what I am going after looks like the image below whereas the above, in my attempts to make it look worn, in fact looks rather sloppy.

So I need to go back to the drawing board and look at this again. I can do that. Better one figure to fix than 30.

What I am after is a very battle worn look, chipped, scratched, beaten up and in a state of disrepair. The old concept of the 13th Co is a force that has been in pursuit of Abbadon/Chaos over a great length of time. So their armor won't be shiny. Some of it won't even be from the Space Wolf armory. However, it should look like it's being chipped. not like some guy just fell into a dumpster and now looks like he has garbage all over him.

Ok, back to work.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

gallery_15184_10600_202175.jpg

Your garbage bit is making me laugh.

I totally see it now on your Alpha Legion. I had a quick look for other examples in your gallery and saw your wicked Alpha Legion there. You’ve got good contrast on him. It’s a lighter colour and a lot more even so the weathering stands out clearly.

I have the same issues on my Wolves. They are quite dark and uneven due to lots of Agrax Earthshade. So I don’t weather them as it won’t show up.

There are some great people on here maybe someone can give you tips on weathering a darker colour or how otherwise to get a battered look.

• 4 weeks later...

I think part of the problem is the sheer amount of grey you have going on. It all seems to blend in together.

Also your chipping is pretty random. For a more worn look, most of the chipping and damage would be on the shrp edges which would make a lot of cntact with stuff, so fingers and the hand plate, edges of elbows, knees and toes.

There will be other damage on the plates, nut most should be focussed along the edges. I'd also suggest going for a 3 colour system also. A very pale colour stippled/ sponged on first, then the mournfang brown and finally on the upper most part your base colour with a little black added.

Always go with the light colour first. It'll look like a flock seagulls took a crap all over him to start with but it'll work in pretty well.

Also do scratches not just sponge technique to vary the damage.

For the fur, maybe give it a wash of diluted sepia, giving it a slightly warmer tone will separate it from the armour plate and stop all the colours merging

gallery_15184_14291_816089.jpg

Something else to do..... See the dark patch on the lower elbow plat. Hit tat with some steel colour and leave a tiny line of the dark grey. It;,ll look like the paint has completely come away and the dark line will act as shadow. Come give it a wash of agrax and than catch the very edge with runefang or iron breaker, so it looks like old damage but a shiny edge from recent wear.

I hope ts has not come across as hyper critical.... You are on the right tracks though :)

Archived