Lukas the Trickster Review

DogWelder

I enjoyed this book. But it’s not a marvellous book, or one that does anything new or particularly clever. It’s just a solid 40k tale about space marines and the characters that the wolves have in their band. If you like old fashioned straightforward space marine stories you’ll like it.

As far as I’m aware Lukas still survives, right? I ask because Lukas the Trickster starts in 641.M41, which would make the protagonist the Longest of Fangs among Blood Claws!

Lukas is still alive in present 40k, yes. It's kinda been Lukas' shtick that he's been the longest-serving Blood Claw ever since his character was created, as he's content in his role as an outsider, and is best served in this role as a Blood Claw, so he's always refused any potential promotions.

Lukas is still alive in present 40k, yes. It's kinda been Lukas' shtick that he's been the longest-serving Blood Claw ever since his character was created, as he's content in his role as an outsider, and is best served in this role as a Blood Claw, so he's always refused any potential promotions.

Wish there was a rematch between Lukas and the Duke

Or Lukas fighting Lelith or Farsight!

I was aware of that — just not the fact that Lukas was about as damn old as the likes of Calgar!

Well he's basically 40k Loki and Loki never dies even if he dies. :P

I like that Lukas and Darkstrider (from the T'au) are basically the same as both are outsiders that refuse promotions and rather stick around with the low ranked infantry. The reasons are just reversed. Lukas doesn't get promoted because he's an outsider and Darkstrider is an outsider because he refuses promotions (which in a T'au army would include having to use battlesuits and stuff instead of staying a Pathfinder).

I enjoyed this book. But it’s not a marvellous book, or one that does anything new or particularly clever. It’s just a solid 40k tale about space marines and the characters that the wolves have in their band. If you like old fashioned straightforward space marine stories you’ll like it.

Strongly disagree, it's quite clever. More than being a straightforward space marine story, it picks up the interesting threads from Wraight's heresy novels and Battle of the Fang about the wolves' self-perception and how 'constructed' their identity is in 40k, doing so far more subtly and thoughtfully than more recent SW work by Gav or MacNiven.

It's a character study of Lukas himself that avoids making him, well, a Loki-clone or a goofball, and adds a nice strand of melancholy to him, providing more depth than equivalent SM Legends books like Cassius or Lemartes. It's true that few of the other characters are as fleshed out as Lukas, seeing as they're largely there to help you explore his ups and downs, but even Kjarl Grimblood is rendered as more than a one-note character.

Plot-wise the SW sections are relatively straightforward but then it being a guerilla war against invaders gives plenty of time for unforced character moments, which Reynolds does better than a lot of his peers. The DE sections, moreover, are something new in that they make that portion of the book an extended (and exceedingly violent) comedy of manners. I don't know why no one hit on this as an idea for the DE, working with their potential for black humour - though Braden Campbell's short story 'Mistress Baeda's Gift' gestures towards it - but Reynolds is probably the best comedic writer in the BL stable and it shows here.

I would comfortably put this book up there with Wraight's SW novels and ADB's Ragnar Blackmane for the cream of complex SW-centric 40k fiction.

Archived