Treason of Tzeentch

Blakklist

Stupid question but I want to ask it before I try the ability and get in the inevitable conversation about how that ability works.

The ability reads: If manifested, select a enemy CHARACTER that is within 18" of the psyker and visible to it (excluding the opponent's Warlord) and roll 2D6. if the result is greater than the character's Leadership, you can treat the model as if it were a friendly model in your army in your Shooting, Charge and Fight phases. At the end of the Fight phase, the character reverts to being an enemy model.

Does that mean I gain control of an enemy character to shoot charge and fight as if it were mine or does it just mean that it is a friendly model in which I can gain benefits from his aura and what not?

It does, but the "can" allows you to treat it as both a friendly and enemy model through the phases, just not both at the same time.

I'd say it should be treated as a friendly unit, unless the caster expresses otherwise, for easiest interpretation and RAI. If not your opponent could by RAW spend CP to interupt and go first in an assault, which would be an interesting rules conundrum, to avoid your ability to target what you wanted for example.

It does, but the "can" allows you to treat it as both a friendly and enemy model through the phases, just not both at the same time.

What reason would you have to not treat it as a friendly model? That is all the power does

What reason would you have to not treat it as a friendly model? That is all the power does

To shoot or charge it for example? Or to smite it?

Move into a position it doesn't want to be in and then have fun.

To shoot or charge it for example? Or to smite it?

Move into a position it doesn't want to be in and then have fun

Do you really think moving the character to a spot where you can easily shoot/charge it is better than having him slaughter his comrades?

Yeah it does. But having a buff character charge a bunch of chaff is pretty useless. Better bring him into range and LOS of some guns ... or if the situation allows into charge range of your units. ;)

To shoot or charge it for example? Or to smite it?Move into a position it doesn't want to be in and then have fun

Do you really think moving the character to a spot where you can easily shoot/charge it is better than having him slaughter his comrades?
Having the unit treated as an enemy or friendly model causes numerous interesting factors. Forcing of who and where can counter attack and is the most likely the direction in which you or your opponents units will consolidate are the most likely. I started typing up an example but it's easier to explain with pictures or on the table, and I'm lazy

Edit: Yes, you're forced to attack during the assault phase if you're locked in with enemy models.

Edited by Zodd1888

I'd be interested to see where people add Treason to their lists as I find it far too unreliable to include as there's always more essential powers and slots are precious.

I suppose on a aspiring as an afterthought fun option could work.

It's a hilarious power though.

Cheers.

Night Lords = -1 Leadership per unit within 6" (max -3)

Chaos Spawn = -1 Leadership per Chaos Spawn within 1 "(ie. Unit of 3 = -3 Leadership)

Phantasmagoria = -1 on WC 6 while within 12" of the manifester

Take a few Night Lord units, Chaos Spawn, or pop some out via Psyker.

Run them up the board for the 6" -1 and assault for extra as needed.

Chaos Spawn and Slaaneshi Obliterators in a Night Lords detatchment. Endless Cacophony and leadership shenanigans FTW. Pretty solid.

Edited: Correction in rules error.

Edited by Zodd1888

I agree they don't act in a controlled manner, but I really wish they had a little something to tie them into the legions they're affiliated with.

The whole not a Daemon but a former Astartes thing also applies to a Daemon Prince. They get the best of both worlds but the lowly Spawn continues to be a sack of random.

Not that I dislike the sack of random, I just think it makes more sense to have Spawn pick a side and get a benefit.

The whole not a Daemon but a former Astartes thing also applies to a Daemon Prince.

What now? Not only do Daemon Princes have the appropriate keyword, they also got daemon in their name.

What I meant was why does it work for Daemon Princes but not a Chaos Spawn.

Intelligent versus animalistic?

I didn't know that regarding the loss of control when the sorcerers dropped, that's neat.

Night Lords = -1 Leadership per unit within 6" (max -3)

Chaos Spawn = -1 Leadership per Chaos Spawn within 1 "(ie. Unit of 3 = -3 Leadership)

Phantasmagoria = -1 on WC 6 while within 12" of the manifester

Take a few Night Lord units, Chaos Spawn, or pop some out via Psyker.

Run them up the board for the 6" -1 and assault for extra as needed.

Chaos Spawn and Slaaneshi Obliterators in a Night Lords detatchment. Endless Cacophony and leadership shenanigans FTW. Pretty solid.

Edited: Correction in rules error.

I'm a stickler for pure TS as I'm determined to see if we can hack it on our own.

So multiple spawn in the same unit confers multiple -1 to Ld?

Wow I missed that.

Could be sneaky if your opponent ignores them due to target saturation.

Nice one.

Forgot one. MVB = -1 Leadership within 9" (max -3).

Yeah, I totally missed that on the Chaos Spawn previously. It's actually pretty crazy how much you can stack leadership debuffs with Spawn, and how effective they are at breaking hordes. I see a lot of splitting Spawn on flanks but it's seeming to be more effective to counter charge with Spawn and wipe a unit through leadership.