Pathfinders with the New Dex?...

MithrilForge

Quick question, getting new dex etc etc 

was wanting to run some pathfinders but since i've been away from the greater good for a while i have no ready idea on how to equip them

my sept is Vior'la and i will be running breacher fish units and some stealth suits, a coldfusion commander (most likely) and i have an Ion armed riptide as well...

any guidance on Unit use and equipment will be appreciated :happy.:

cheers Mithril

Well their main will still be as Markerlight source, however I think that Fireblades and Firesight Marksmen still do it better due character protection and higher accuracy plus we have the Markerlight stratagem for additional 1d3 Markerlights now which makes mass ML shooting even less needed.

The Rail Rifle is super strong and got 5p cheaper but makes them even more into a priority target and they are still as squishy as ever (I know since I regularly play RR squads ^^). If you bring those, better make sure that unit is expendable and you have enough other threats on the table.

Ion Rifles are the underdog. On the first glance they are clearly inferior to the Rail Rifles, however they are incredibly cheap. It doesn't hurt nearly as much losing them as it does to lose a Rail Rifle and you can easily spam them.

Their Scout move is great to adjust your deplyoment after the opponent is done with his deployment, grab a nearby objective early on and to push out your opponents reserves even further. However Kroot do that for cheaper (almost half the points now) and with ObSec.

How to use them depends on the rest of your list.

If you have some Fireblades and/or Firesight Marksmen, then I'd use them for the damage output of the rifles. Either multiple small units with 2 Ion Rifles in each when you want the more efficient build, or with Rail Rifles and Shield Drones if you want the more badass build. :P

If you don't have Kroot or proper Firewarrior/Drone screens in your list, then having some barebone units to help against reserves in combination with your stealth suits isn't a bad idea either.

Also worth saying that MSU Sa’Cea pathfinders get extra mileage out of the special weapons and their marker lights due to the reroll.

Aye. I used to play 6-8 big Pathfinder units with 3 Rail Rifles included but I might split it into 5 big ones with only one Rifle included in each. :D

Also worth saying that MSU Sa’Cea pathfinders get extra mileage out of the special weapons and their marker lights due to the reroll.

Aye. I used to play 6-8 big Pathfinder units with 3 Rail Rifles included but I might split it into 5 big ones with only one Rifle included in each. :D

I have 20 pathfinders ready to be painted in my Sa’Cea winter scheme (green and white with blue-grey and orange sept markings). I’m definitely going to gun them up.

I want to give 2-3 pathfinder units with 3 rail rifles each ago. Stick them in a transport and use the double shoot strat.

Hopefully cripple any spearhead leaving the softer targets for other units to deal with.

Edited by Perry