New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

That's... disappointing.  The Sector Mechanicus bits, Enginseer, and workstation are existing kits.  The only new parts appear to be the welding arm and the power core holder.  The power cores themselves are very old bits from the Battle for Macragge box set.

EDIT:  No, they're all old bits.

I still think its pretty cool though, but yeah, for something purchasable in the codex I would expect a unique kit for

It'd be lovely to get something totally unique, but that said, we're really being spoiled with new units and toys compared to all the lesser, ahem, other armies out there. I'm not too cut up over it :)

The problem is that armiger gun looks like an autocannon. Which isn't exactly a premium chaff clearing weapon. So far we seem to be lacking weapons to clear hordes, so unless they have changed the profile on the iron storm pod or that autocannon has a rediculous rate of fire were still going to struggle against masses of infantry.

The problem is that armiger gun looks like an autocannon. Which isn't exactly a premium chaff clearing weapon. So far we seem to be lacking weapons to clear hordes, so unless they have changed the profile on the iron storm pod or that autocannon has a rediculous rate of fire were still going to struggle against masses of infantry.

Maybe it'll be more akin to a Storm Cannon / Butcher Cannon? It looks much like one (I think they pretty much are high end auto cannons). Stat wise, they're pretty great.

We're told by the leaker (who seems legit so far) that 'Helverin gets dakka that taken over several models leaves any other walker’s firepower in the dust'. I presume the guy/gal has seen the numbers - they certainly seem impressed. Though how much is hyperbole..? *shrug*

Yeah but even if the other arm gets more shooting wouldn't it be weird if one arm has a single autocannon and the other has something substantially more powerful? One autocannon is just not a whole lot, even a balistarii has two of them and those guys are 75 points..

I just want arms with hurricane bolters on them, or something similar to that. Cheap weapons with buckets of dice worth of decent shots.

It's definitely a suped up autocannon (it looks twice the barrel size of the Icarus autocannons on the regular knights), I imagine it's gonna put out at least 4-5 shots, hopefully more. It's more the S7 -1 2D that seems overkill for infantry. I guess it's makes it more flexible against other targets.

Someone posted this link (its third party bits) in the knight thread in the news and rumor thread, implying the ones making them seemed like they "knew something"

Perhaps the other arm is a mini-avenger weapon for taking out gobs of troops, while the autocannon like weapon is more for light vehicles or elites? Or the third party bits is just totally random... but eh. We'll know soon

It would be illogical from a sales perspective for them to make a copy of the same gun that comes with the kit*. What makes more sense would be they knew the knight was coming with a heavy auto cannon type weapon and people would likely want a gatling gun alternative look for it. At least that's what I think. But who knows, you might be right. :D

*Unless they knew a bunch of people would want to upgrade their forgebane armigers?

As I commented on the news thread, I believe the armigers are going to effectively have "downscaled" knight weapons.

As it stands, knights have the current weapons as mainstays:

Reaper Chainsword

Thunderstike Gauntlet

Avenger Gatling Cannon

Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon

Thermal Cannon

Currently, with evidence as is we now have 3 analogues to these in the form of:

Armiger Warglaive

- (we don't know if they will have a "power fist" weapon)

- (I have specualtion for this)

The Autocannon weapon (which I am going to make assumptions is likely to be called ether a Rapid-Fire Autocannon or Armiger Autocannon)

Thermal Spear

One note is that the Armigers currently use their carapace to mount the weapons the Knights use as shoulder "support" guns in the form of heavy stubbers and Meltaguns. (personally would love to see them get a heavy flamer option in this area, give them something unique).

In regards to the autocannon weapon not be horde clearing, neither is the Knight's Rapid-Fire Battlecannon really, both are meant for bigger prey such as armoured targets. I suspect that the armigers will get something that will mimic the gatling cannon with heavy boltgun levels of strength and AP but with the rate of fire of an assault cannon (or more. Around maybe 8 shots at max). 

However a caveat to this is the fact there is the new knight kit running around with a shiny new option on it (some form of graviton cannon?) so this could point to new options for knights with their kits being revamped but I doubt that they would invalidate those kits so heavily (though possibly update them?)

Regardless, really looking forward to Knights and going to get my hands on a castellan no doubt, I want that Volcano Lance or whatever it is called...now...the big question...how plausible would it be to make a cape for a centre piece castellan?

So to make the terrain piece you need 4 different kits? Sector Imperialis Objectives for the cogitator, Galvanic Servohaulers for the welding arm, Plasma Conduits for the plasma charge station, and one of the Sector Mechanicus sets for the rest? Maybe the Enginseer is compulsory too?

That would be extremely expensive. Could they have gone to the expense of recutting a sprue on that without doing a unique design? Or expecting us to buy all those kits to cobble that together?

The sprue with the cogitator also comes with the medicae servitor, saviour-pod and some of the ammo crates (but not the big cannon shells) and huge bombs. That'd make for interesting spares. I'd probably swap the servitors head for a less medical one and incorporate it into the repair machinery. Maybe upside-down to repair damage below the floor level, which is where a lot of it would be, rather than leaving all that to the spider-skull.

I hope though that gw puts a big saving in this. As with half an objectives set, half a servohaulers set, one plasma conduit sprue, a full Sector Mechanicus kit, maybe an enginseer too, that's a lot of money.

I don't know much about forgeworld knights. Does the lascutter have a melee profile?

If it does that would make it interesting, a super flexible Omni tool. Anti horde, anti tank, melee. Then pairing it with another ranged weapon could be quite interesting.

I don't know much about forgeworld knights. Does the lascutter have a melee profile?

If it does that would make it interesting, a super flexible Omni tool. Anti horde, anti tank, melee. Then pairing it with another ranged weapon could be quite interesting.

Yes

S14 AP-4 D6 reroll hits and wound against Monsters, AVs and Buildings.

Throw it at something big and it dies I guess...

Archived