Most Ridiculous Unit You've Seen

Skaorn

Posted · Hidden by Major_Gilbear, March 23, 2018 - No reason given
Hidden by Major_Gilbear, March 23, 2018 - No reason given

The Lion, riding a plastic Thunderhawk full of Squats.

(Oh, did you mean a realunit?) :D

100 strong Arcoflagellant unit with Uriah Jacobus attached at the tail end of 7th. If it wasn't for all the stupid deathstars, flyers and invisibility, it would have been an insane unit. Nevertheless, it was fun to run.

3rd Edition:

Chaos Lord with Daemonic Flight, Daemonic Stature, the Mark of Khorne, Spiky Bits, and the Dreadaxe.

Or, in other words, a flying MC with 5 base S5 attacks ignoring armour (because MC) and invulnerable (because Dreadaxe) saves.

The 3.5 Chaos 'dex was wild.

---

When it comes to ridiculous in concept, Grimnar's Wolf Chariot is crap.

Edited by Walter Payton

Greetings

For me it is the Chaos 3.5 Possessed with the Mark of Tzeentch and Daemonic Flight. Tzeentch turned them all into sorcerers with no perils tests. If you decided to be thrifty at this point and give them all Doom Bolt, you still ended up with essentially a unit of assault marines with Assault 3 18" heavy bolters iirc. The price tag was the real kicker as one unit was a very sizable chunk of your army. I never fielded them because they were a silly point sink, but I was tempted just for a lark.

I hated them.

​Playing eldar against them - with a majority of 4+ armour saves - was not pleasant.

Edited by Brother Sefiel

2nd ed chaos space marine mighty hero in terminator armour and (I think it was called a power field?) a wargear card that gave you a 2+unmodifiable save against anything, iirc.

Oh I forgot. You could also upgrade him to a level 4 mastery psycher. Again, iirc.

I never once killed the fugger.

Edited by karden00

the 'anything can wound anything' mechanic has to be one of the worst game design choices since the beginning

Not quite. For me it's the "everything gets a save on anything" mechanic and then handing out mortal wound dealers like candy to some armies and then proposing to only nerf smite.

As for silly units: giving mere devastator squad members better equipment than the most decorated veterans of the 1st company (i.e. Centurion armour vs TDA).

Edited by Quixus

vortex grenades

Chaplain/Captain with personal teleporter and vortex grenades, teleporting next to Avatar/any other expensive&important unit and just instantly deleting it. Fun times. Also Marneus Calgar with a jump pack was fun, taking out entire squads alone :)

Some of the ridiculous combinations you could make with the 3.5 Chaos Codex.  If you had the points, you could make some baller units that were absurd. Slaaneshi Daemon Prince just scratches the surface. 

Terminator armoured Khorne Chosen with Feel No Pain etc. were epitome of cheese.

Terminator armoured Khorne Chosen with Feel No Pain etc. were epitome of cheese.

Was there something in the 3rd edition mechanics that made them so bad? It does not sound much worse than BA TDA + Priest in TDA in 5th, and that wasn't particularly cheesy.

A lot of the rules cheese in each edition came from where only a few Codexes had options that others just couldn't match.

However, they were often rather more fun as result of the sheer flexibility they offered, and I always wished for an edition where *every* Codex was cheesy like that.

That's also why 2E and the 3.5 Chaos Codexes are often regarded so fondly by many despite how much they distorted games.

And ultimately, as long as you played with like-minded friends and exercised a little bit of restraint, they were in fact a lot of fun. :)

- Pretty much any high-level hero with a Displacer Field, a Vortex grenade, and any skills/spells/equipment that helped their movement.

Or a Tech-marine (that could have more equipment cards than other low-level characters) on a bike with targeting array and vortex grenade. He could speed wherever on the battlefield and kill whatever you wanted with 2+ on turn 1.

- Pretty much any high-level hero with a Displacer Field, a Vortex grenade, and any skills/spells/equipment that helped their movement.

Or a Tech-marine (that could have more equipment cards than other low-level characters) on a bike with targeting array and vortex grenade. He could speed wherever on the battlefield and kill whatever you wanted with 2+ on turn 1.

I remember having that done to me :D

Surprised nobody else mentiones it but ... 7th edition unkillable deathstars. This one particular Iron Hands Captain or the whole DA/SW thing. Doesn't matter.

6th edition Necron scarabs and Annihilation barge thing. Also some Wolf Lord on wolf surrounded by a pack of wolves. Somehow he had a re-rollable +2 armor and it was just disgusting.

To look at? SW Thunderwolf cav and Wolfy Claus and his sleigh. The GK Dread knight. Centurions. And Agressors.

I remember having that done to me :biggrin.:

I remember spending hours as a kid trying to cut a metal Techmarine in half with a file so I could convert him... But the instant death of my friend's Daemon Prince and Abaddon was well worth the effort :biggrin.:

Edited by Grand Master Laertes

The Necron god-overlord in the 5th.ed codex cost 270 points, more than any other model in the codex, and was nigh-unkillable from what I recall. 2+ armor, 4+invul, warscythe and tachyon arrow, Phaeron (which gave the joined unit relentless), mindshackle scarabs (nice thunder hammer you’ve got. Smash yourselve in the head with it), then couple with feartek with VoD. Loved playing with him, did wonders. Now though overlords are better army buffers than combat monsters, but I remember those halcyon days fondly.

Looks wise I don’t find any models today truly abhorrent, but flayed ones are over the top gruesome and need a redesign desperately. (Also space marine aircraft for having no sense of aerodynamically sound design, though. *Shudders*)

Recent meta to play against? Massive Tau battlesuits (riptide and up). Hate them now and hated them last edition too.