Making all twelve Wolf Lords - Grand Annulus Finished!

@ Smoke Frog

Thank you. I’m looking forward to making progress with this. I’m close to the end but feel very far away sometimes too.

@ Deathspectresgt7

Thank you

@ Krautscientist

Cheers mate, trust me to start making another Santa. As soon as I saw that blood reaver model I was thinking ‘that’s one of mine’. You khorne guys were probably thinking ‘why is there a Santa Khorne in the set?’. The main reason I’m using that guy is the similarity I see to the artwork of Bulveye. I hope it comes out unique. Got the idea for using the legion herald body from right here on b&c. A couple guys in the Space Wolf section had some success with it. Seems to fit for 13th Company.

@ Verux

Thank you that’s nice to hear. Hair is quite a simple one to do.

• 3 months later...

@ Sgt. Blank

Thank you, I may still end up changing my mind on Bulveye not sure (sorry for the delayed response!).

The new codex came out and it made me once again realise I still haven't finished my Wolf Lords. So I set about painting the next one. It's Bran Redmaw, he's my 11th wolf lord so I'm officailly 'close' now...

He's based on an unreleased model that forgeworld made and displayed at a gamesday but for whatever reason he was never made available. The pics are available from that gamesday so I could base my Bran on that one.

Here's the FW one...

6f3c429d-0cd9-41e8-a3dd-f8f3bb553d46.jpe

Here's my conversion and green stuff to try to make mine...

266de8a9-f1e7-4cce-aaa5-99350353d707-e15

6ed7987c-1c62-487f-b58a-4e640e701c4f.jpe

I've now painted him (he sat semi painted collecting dust for 7 months or so while I was off making Orks and Nurgle stuff).

18d95faa-6299-43bd-9df8-d8ce8853bdf8.jpe

ff6f2a31-5a3a-435c-a1cd-86f34a46bedd.jpe

bd44de79-eb65-499b-a6c6-aada14f6dce3.jpe

So I now only have 1 left to go. Bjorn Stormwolf.

Having said that I am still intending on making Bulveye (13th company wolf lord). The new codex has rules for a Cataphractii Wolf Lord so I'm once again reconsidering having him in Cataphractii armour rather than the model I've previously posted here.

Also I'm really thinking I need to do Bjorn the fell-handed, the original Great Wolf. So I still have my work cut out for me.

Wow, these are great! I really should give more loyalist threads a click, lord knows how many other cool projects I've missed.

Anyways, I love all of your lords, especially ragnar for being such a great update to a classic, and Engir Krakendoom. Very nice concept on that one, and the octopus/Wolf on the shield is a great idea.

• 1 year later...

@ Trawling Cleaner

Thank you buddy. I hope you like the Twelfth one too.

It's been a couple of years from start to finish but I've finally painted the Twelfth Wolf Lord. I really felt the closer I got the further away the finish line was. Was plenty of hobby butterfly and hobby cocoon going on in the mean time.

Here is (finally) Wolf Lord number Twelve Bjorn Stormwolf...

img_20200216_222552.jpg?w=992

img_20200216_222534.jpg

img_20200216_222515.jpg

img_20200216_222502.jpg?w=833

I'll be seeing if there is any way of (successfully) photographing all 12 together...

@ PeteySodes

Thank you Brother. It's nice to finish what I said I would years ago in one sense. But still feel like there is more to do. I'm no closer to figuring out how to do the grand annulus! Also it poses the question of whether wolf lord 13 needs making as there would be an empty space on the annulus otherwise. Doing Stormwolf has got me reading the codex again and itching to give these guys a go on the table (don't think they've even seen the table since the codex came out!). The super project is still to give all 12 Great Companies a go each on the tabletop.

Also I finally put your snow recipe on their bases!

I've managed to photograph them in groups of 3...

img_20200215_225814.jpg

img_20200217_112810.jpg?w=1024

img_20200217_112301.jpg?w=1024

img_20200217_112002.jpg?w=1024

• 1 month later...

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Cheers mate, Ragnar is one of my favourites.

Now that the Wolf Lords are done (12 anyway) the next step for this project is to get their office space ready for the big meetings...

0f00ddf0.jpg?w=1000

Had this idea for about as long as the idea to make the Wolf Lords. There is a lovely inspirational piece of artwork which is absolute gold for this project...

grand_annulus_colour3-1.png?w=732

This has been ever present in the Space Wolves codexes for quite a long time (maybe 4th edition). This is my blueprint. Was originally thinking I would use a cake stand or something similar. But if I put these two pictures above together then there is a fantastic piece of AoS terrain which might just do the trick.

Managed to get down to my local GW in the last week before everything went crazy and shops were shutting. No one else in there so spoke to the manager and the terrain piece was out on a gaming table. We had a look at it and it seemed like it would be just the ticket. It's the Sigmarite Dais.

img_20200321_211553.jpg?w=1024

It's got quite a funky pattern on it (i've already started carving into it in this pic). It's a great shape and size. Had to do a test run before getting too into it...

img_20200314_213549.jpg

On closer inspection it has some unbelievably convenient details. It has a fantastic visible cog mechanism. The dial points to the current Great Wolf so has to move (every 1000 years or so). Even more amazing was the number of little spikes that hold the stones in place. Now the design im copying has 13 stabs around a circle. I thought that might be a bit of a geometric nightmare and the original terrain piece would not be able to help me with such a prime number. I counted the spikes and found 26! it was exactly 2 per slab, I couldn't believe my luck and had to make the most of this detail. An earlier idea was to make the slabs out of plasticard and lay them on top. But now I was carving into the plastic to preserve those spikes.

img_20200325_135825.jpg

Here's an earlier mock up. Those circles are copies of the platform on Logan Grimars sled. Very useful!

img_20200325_144106.jpg?w=768

There are a few missing parts so I remade a more complete mould for reuse. Here's where I've got to now...

img_20200328_225233.jpg

Just sculpting the little details while I decide how to do the company badges. I'm thinking of moulding/sculpting them.

img_20200328_214057.jpg?w=777

The rock surface is made from miliput. I had gloves on and found you can make quite realistic rock patterns by dragging your gloved thumb over the rock to create texture, you can also flatten down without leaving finger prints.

Quite a big post so I'll leave it there for now.

@ Krautscientist

Cheers mate. What better time to do a madman's project, right?

A friend in real life (Warbringer), has got a new 3D printer and played an absolute blinder. He's drawn out the company badges on CAD and printed them off. This is a real game changer for the project.

With his help I should be able to get to the end of the model step without too many issues. Fingers crossed.

So here are his company badges (he used to be a Space Wolf back in the day).

img-20200330-wa0005.jpg?w=768

I've made moulds so I can have the badges in green stuff and easily tidy them up if they need it.

img_20200331_223208.jpg

There's the first two down. I've then made a bunch more moulds and got to a weird planning step, which is where I am now. Although I did just catapult all the little bits all over the floor!

img_20200331_231450.jpg?w=948

I asked him to do the Wolf right in the centre as I was getting less and less happy with how I had done the centre compare to the rest. It's all still under there right now.

Slow progress is being made. Had a bad back for a few days. Probably down to all the weird new thigns I'm doing in isolation...like excercise...

Some of the company badges could do with a bit more green stuff work. Some are probably a bit too small so I'll redo them. Also the middle needs doing again I think. But you get the idea...

img_20200404_142039.jpg?w=768

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thanks buddy. Smoothish sailing so far. Onto the next Saga...painting it.

@ ElDuderino

Thanks mate. Any excuse for me to show of those Wolf Lords again. They'll be standing on this when it's finished. It's liek their meeting room.

Ok model bit is all ready. Onto painting...i hope ive got some primer.

img_20200410_152446.jpg?w=919

• 3 weeks later...