Unified feedback for the new FAQ

SinnerBeta

What we need is a new kit for DA termies.

Black knights have their plasma talons, why not give something unique to DA termies (not just plasma cannon and DW Knights)? At least allow each brother to swap storm bolter for combi-weapon of choice. And I really want DW termies to be able to teleport closer than 9' to enemy. Yes, scatter dice is not needed anymore in 40k, but I would forego something like dangerous terrain test, with termie being slain on 1 if the squad wants to teleport closer. Make it 1 wound for each inch up to 5, and then give automatic mortal wounds for each inch closer. I would gladly gamble on this. Who dares wins! 

Combined with DW Assault it would give multiple devastating combos that termies will be able to pull off. 

And gosh damn, change the fortress of shields for DW knights back how it was -- +1 Toughness. And now we're talking for real.

But I guess this codex was more on keeping DA up to date, not bringing in new exiting stuff.

Will have to wait for proper FALLEN codex with Luther to be released, so DA would get new shiny toys too.

I'm still holding onto hope there is a DA stratagem in the pipeline with some future campaign book update allowing Deathwing to teleport closer using Ravenwing teleport homers Komodo.

There isn't much of the old DW & RW synergy represented in the current codex, except for that tactical objective card about teleporting Deathwing near a Ravenwing unit, which is pretty unlikely to happen these days.

On the topic of the FAQ however, I'm all for landspeeders, attack bikes & terminators getting back a relentless type of rule so these units can go back to the mobile heavy weapon platforms they're meant to be. Even if it went back to the defensive weapons model from previous editions where the firing after moving penalty was based on the STR of the weapon (this is from memory, so don't quote me on that) that would be fantastic.

IMHO Strats are rubbish for elite armies, they don't generate enough CPs and the effective Strats cost more to use. That kind of flies in the face of the logic that small forces are more nimble and flexible, and can get up to tricks outside the box, hence why they exist in military's.

I'd like to see all our multi-CP DW and RW strats drastically reduced in price, the FAQ could be, why are they rubbish?

I know, I know, I have to wait for Chapter Approved before we fix points etc but wow things are still not good.

Cheaper Land Raiders would solve a alot of my issues with DW, and yes, December at the earliest.  We have the hunt the fallen strat which I use quite often to re-roll charges, that helps a lot.  You just have to time your teleport well.

I agree with Stobz that elite armies suffer with strats but I can't see it being addressed sadly.  In fact, I think the Unforgiven will largely be ignored in favour of nerfing crazy tournament builds that I've never seen in "real" life but hey ho.  

Since this is a FAQ thread not a balance/Chaper Approved thread I’m gonna keep my question related to that.

Given Azrael works with keyword Dark Angels, and the Codex mentioned you can replace Dark Angels with Successor Chapter name for strategems, does Azreal affect Dark Angel successors under the same basis or are you stuck having to play DA or have your opponant agree to have successors “count as”? Or am I stuck just with Masters for the tenacity of not wanting to just paint green for my Sons of the Lion? Not sure if this is answered elsewhere but the way the DA Codex treats working as Successors for keywords relating to Characters is esoteric at best.

Simple, brilliant (if I say so myself) fix for terminators:  TDA ignores AP-1.  Sorted. The mechanic works quite well in AoS, bring it to 40k!

Since this is a FAQ thread not a balance/Chaper Approved thread I’m gonna keep my question related to that.

FAQ and errata.

Given Azrael works with keyword Dark Angels, and the Codex mentioned you can replace Dark Angels with Successor Chapter name for strategems, does Azreal affect Dark Angel successors under the same basis or are you stuck having to play DA or have your opponant agree to have successors “count as”? Or am I stuck just with Masters for the tenacity of not wanting to just paint green for my Sons of the Lion? Not sure if this is answered elsewhere but the way the DA Codex treats working as Successors for keywords relating to Characters is esoteric at best.

Quote from the codex:

If a unit is drawn from a Dark Angels

successor Chapter, simply substitute

the ‘DARK ANGELS’ keyword on every

datasheet with the name of your Dark Angels

successor Chapter. For example, if your army includes an

Interrogator-Chaplain from the Angels of

Absolution successor Chapter, you would

replace that datasheet’s DARK ANGELS

Faction keyword with ANGELS OF

ABSOLUTION, and his ‘Spiritual Leaders’ ability will then read ‘All friendly ANGELS OF

ABSOLUTION units within 6" of this model can

use his Leadership instead of their own.’

Note, however, that you cannot do this for

named characters – for example, Azrael is the

Supreme Grand Master of the Dark Angels

Chapter, and not any successor Chapter.

So named characters are out I'm afraid. This goes for all chapters.

I'm still holding onto hope there is a DA stratagem in the pipeline with some future campaign book update allowing Deathwing to teleport closer using Ravenwing teleport homers Komodo.

There isn't much of the old DW & RW synergy represented in the current codex, except for that tactical objective card about teleporting Deathwing near a Ravenwing unit, which is pretty unlikely to happen these days.

On the topic of the FAQ however, I'm all for landspeeders, attack bikes & terminators getting back a relentless type of rule so these units can go back to the mobile heavy weapon platforms they're meant to be. Even if it went back to the defensive weapons model from previous editions where the firing after moving penalty was based on the STR of the weapon (this is from memory, so don't quote me on that) that would be fantastic.

I would agree with you on DW/RW synergy -- there is none. We don't even have teleport homers on bikes and speeders. That's something FAQ won't fix.

For RW personally, I strongly dislike Jink. It would be more logical to get -1 on to hit, which will stack beatifully and logically with the darkshroud bonus, making a really nice and mobile MOVING force. For now darkshroud benefits more for infantry and armor, than it is for bikers. 

I don't think GW would ever change rules for bikes and speeders to drop -1 BS on movement, as it affects entire SM range, but I would like at least to get my jink and still shoot from rapid-fire weapons. As for now it's kinda useless to advance for regular bikers, as they loose the shooting. And shooting is what we expect them to do, not assaults.

Speeders are way to expensive. Taking a Dark Talon is more effective than taking speeder.

Quote from the codex:

If a unit is drawn from a Dark Angels

successor Chapter, simply substitute

the ‘DARK ANGELS’ keyword on every

datasheet with the name of your Dark Angels

successor Chapter. For example, if your army includes an

Interrogator-Chaplain from the Angels of

Absolution successor Chapter, you would

replace that datasheet’s DARK ANGELS

Faction keyword with ANGELS OF

ABSOLUTION, and his ‘Spiritual Leaders’ ability will then read ‘All friendly ANGELS OF

ABSOLUTION units within 6" of this model can

use his Leadership instead of their own.’

Note, however, that you cannot do this for

named characters – for example, Azrael is the

Supreme Grand Master of the Dark Angels

Chapter, and not any successor Chapter.

So named characters are out I'm afraid. This goes for all chapters.

Just run them as Dark Angels instead of Sons of Lion when it comes to the keyword and you are fine taking named characters.

Thanks for the clarification guys, kinda frustrating you have to rely on opponant’s good will given you’re running the whole army as ‘count as’ to have any special characters.

no such thing as count as. it is whatever it is. YOUR dudes are YOUR dudes. As long as it is clear what is what, there should never be an argument.

FAQs are out, doesn't look like any updates for DA other than a point increase for Dark Talon. Some of the generic space marine stratagems were faqd in a way that beffects us, e.g. armorium cherub and hellfire/flakk interaction

It seems like Dark Angels are where they should be, which I like :smile.: .

We could still get some minor adjustments. Maybe they forgot to upload the FAQ :P .

From FB - no FAQ for DA.

Maybe someone here knows the answer to my question...  If your warlord has the Stubborn Tenacity trait and loses a wound to The Lion and the Wolf, does he get the benefit of +1 to the roll for not having moved?

Dark Talon  40p increase!! That guy with the 8Dark Talons in LVO did that :tongue.:. Jokes aside it still gonna work just fine with its new cost.

Well, it kills a lot of my <1500pts lists :unsure.:

i expected something like a 20-25 point increase, not a 25% increase in cost.

Dark Talon 40p increase!! That guy with the 8Dark Talons in LVO did that :tongue.:. Jokes aside it still gonna work just fine with its new cost.

Well, it kills a lot of my <1500pts lists :unsure.:

i expected something like a 20-25 point increase, not a 25% increase in cost.

To be fair, they're just really good. They have both horde control, anti tank and mortal wound potential. And yeah, people spamming units ruins it for all of us. Still, it was undercosted.

200 points is a bit steep imo. Current no more than 3 same units already kills the Talon spam, why make it 200 points? It just killed my 2k points list. Good thing I haven't ordered all the minis for it yet. 

Just found something interesting in the SM Codex erratta I didn't even think about before:

Q: How do the Flakk Missile and Hellfire Shells Stratagems interact with an Armorium Cherub? Are you able to ‘reload’ the weapon and fire again with the benefit of the Stratagem?

A: Yes.

If I understand this correctly you get 2 stratagem shots for 1 CP!? That is really neat in my opinion.

Just found something interesting in the SM Codex erratta I didn't even think about before:

Q: How do the Flakk Missile and Hellfire Shells Stratagems interact with an Armorium Cherub? Are you able to ‘reload’ the weapon and fire again with the benefit of the Stratagem?

A: Yes.

If I understand this correctly you get 2 stratagem shots for 1 CP!? That is really neat in my opinion.

Yes. So more Devastators on the field!

Im pretty sad that my newest "shiny" toy, my Fire Raptor got a 90p increase. :unsure.:  It now sits at 450p with weapons included... Can't realy judge if it is justified as he seams pretty strong, but still i'm a little sad.

Archived