Deathwatch Codex Hopes and Dreams

Sea-People

I'm primarily a Guard player, but I do have some deathwatch and am excited for the upcoming codex.

Here are some of my thoughts and hopes for the codex.

-The primawatch nickname does have me worried.  It's not that I hate the Primaris, but the Veteran kit still one of the new kits from GW and I think that it should still be the foundation of the army.

-I've had enough of those stupid no model no rules restrictions it's so pointless.

-They made this whole new points format for load outs and then proceeded to not use it for the army that might need it the most.  I think that every weapon that has SIA should cost a point or two ( depends on the weapon), while the base cost of the veteran goes down by that much (or even down a bit more).  No reason to pay for SIA if you don't actually have it.

-A lot of people forgot about those mission tactics from 7th and are assuming that SIA will be the only thing Deathwatch get.  Hopefully we get some manifestation of mission tactics as a "chapter tactic".

-Personally, I want scouts.  I'm fine with having none of the heavy armor, but scouts can operate in covert kill teams.  Plus snipers would be nice.  This one probably won't happen though.

-Have the anti Xenos stuff be done through stratagems, relics, and traits.  I'm glad they didn't build these things into the army rules like they did for Grey knights, but having some situational abilities would be nice and fluffy.

Most of this list isn't isn't outrageous and if the codex does most of these while tweaking a few points here and there, I think I would be satisfied.  

Hm good point. Although Landraiders and Stormravens can carry Centurions but for some reason still not be able to fit Primaris Marines. and Centurions are way larger than a bike would be. I hope Primaris can go into our Corvus, but my guess is GW is gonna push the Repulsar on us in its stead to carry our Primaris Kill teams. 

I think the Primaris transport restrictions will be lifted in future.

Imo the Repulsor is still far, far superior to a Landraider because of fly, but I can see them being able to fit in Ravens, Raiders, Blackstar, Stormwolf, etc in the future.

It's not going to be a Primaris focused 'codex primewatch', claims of such are pure hyperbole.

They are just integrating Primaris units in as proper kill teams in this codex, as befits the way the deathwatch operate, rather than artificially shoehorning them in like before.

They aren't going to suddenly marginalise the deathwatch specific kits they released barely 2 years ago.

I’m quite optimistic, xenos codexes got boosted too much (see Tau for example)....some balance is needed, and the Deathwatch codex is a good opportunity to fix things.

After all we are the special force tasked to eradicate xenos....so we need the tools to do our job at best

Lets wait and see what happens!

Warhammer community posted about the may releases in the upcoming white dwarf - confirming the release of codex deathwatch and harlequins being released in the upcoming month.

Bonus point - warhammer 40k Facebook team posted a teaser about the deathwatch coming up and answered a couple of questions regarding primariswatch - they said normal kill teams are still at the front of the force.

Hey Moostick, where did you see that Deathwatch were next week? Or was that an educated guess?

Educated guess. Release date can't be next weekend, so it's either 12th, 19th, or 26th. It sounds like DW is first, so 26th is out, and it's either 12th or 19th. They usually give a week between release and preorder, so higher chance of 12th.

Unless they plan on releasing Harlequins and DW the same week. Then it'll like be 19th or 26th. Now that I think about it, this is actually quite possible if they decide to make it a special announcement on Warhammerfest.

Hey Moostick, where did you see that Deathwatch were next week? Or was that an educated guess?

Educated guess. Release date can't be next weekend, so it's either 12th, 19th, or 26th. It sounds like DW is first, so 26th is out, and it's either 12th or 19th. They usually give a week between release and preorder, so higher chance of 12th.

Unless they plan on releasing Harlequins and DW the same week. Then it'll like be 19th or 26th. Now that I think about it, this is actually quite possible if they decide to make it a special announcement on Warhammerfest.

Thanks! Very excited for Deathwatch.

Archived