Post your homages

This is a very old conversion / kitbash but was one of my first inspirations once 3rd edition hit around 1999.

Basically I wanted Marneus wit the trophies on his backpack and since the model was metal and I was a student with limited monies, there was no way I would risk the leg pose, so I changed only the backpack...

YYE8vil.jpg

p9QZTeB.jpg

I will retouch this model at some point as it was one of my favorites of that era.

Mitsman

hmm, guess I never did post it here. Well, I like going through Visions for inspirations (and some great 30K cover art) so I eventually came out with this as the 'lead-in' miniature for one of my veteran squads from Vengeful Spirit's cover. I'd have put the pauldron on the other side but, y'know, right-left post Terra tradition.

gallery_107230_14721_120420.jpg

Edited by Vykes

This is such a great thread! All that warm nostalgia feeling and the great skill on show.  

This is my offering, an homage to my all time favourite bit of character art. (Anyone know who painted it?) Slightly tweaked, with a chapter change from Ultramarines to Imperial Fists. The bionic leg? Well, I am an Iron Hand at heart...  

Ac5OFjI.jpg?2

aQrwuvU.jpg?1

lGbybBO.jpg?2

One day I'll post something that doesn't have a servo-arm... 

Thanks! And yes, it's from the knights kit, although the knee was reposed slightly. The legs are just about the same height as a Primaris marine's legs. The arms and elbows should also provide you with ample bionic conversion potential. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My primaris librarian has a lightsabre (with phosphorescent paint on the blade) as his 'force' sword

Is your Librarian's force sword blade red (meaning he's a Sith), amethyst (a Jedi, but one who draws upon the power of the Dark Side to defeat it, like Mace Windu), yellow, green, blue (all Jedi colors), or white (meaning he rejects both Jedi and Sith the authority, like Ahsoka Tano in Rebels)?

I have two to add today:

Kev Walker's Warlord Titan illustration:

2oqz9ZMl.jpg

Kilofix's edit of my first Lucius-pattern Warlord Titan in tribute:

R6MmtECl.jpg

The cover art of the Words of Blood anthology:

S6bnD3Xl.jpg

Two generations of Black Templars, ~15 years apart:

jwhUqX2l.jpg

Edited by CommodusXIII

• 10 months later...
Was looking at a new 2020 project with Iron Warriors and finding this artwork and reminding myself about Honsou the iron warriors seemed to fit the bill.

Honsou Reference Art

Honsou1

I was lucky that this path had been tread and there is a couple of great conversions out there already by spedgeyminis and megzike from instragram that helped me with part selection.

Edited by Warbringer

I haven't gotten around to painting it since I just dug the model out of storage over Thanksgiving Weekend. But I always liked this artwork and back when I did this in the early 2000's my converting skills were pretty basic but this is what I came up with.

A 3rd edition (I think) SW codex glory Edited by ranulf the revenant

I only got back into the hobby a couple of years ago after a quarter century break. One of 5he first things I noticed was that the quality of miniatures had increased (along with the price)... except for the keeper of secrets, which was awful (this is before the latest version came out).

So I made my own, harking back to the slaves to darkness era that I come from:

The original:

15615_sm-Artwork%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Copyrig

Mine (relatively poor paint job, as it was when I was first getting back into things)

982317_sm-Daemons%2C%20Slaanesh%2C%20kee

That's a lot nicer than the model it was intended to replace. The new plastic one is pretty amazing though, isn't it? :)

How did you build it? I don't recognize any parts barring the unfortunate eldar one the base.

That's a lot nicer than the model it was intended to replace. The new plastic one is pretty amazing though, isn't it? :)

How did you build it? I don't recognize any parts barring the unfortunate eldar one the base.

Mostly it’s reaper bones, rather than GW.

There’s a reaper bones Minotaur demon lord as the base, additional arms provided from reapers Wolf demon. The sword is GW daemon prince kit.

My primaris librarian has a lightsabre (with phosphorescent paint on the blade) as his 'force' sword

Is your Librarian's force sword blade red (meaning he's a Sith), amethyst (a Jedi, but one who draws upon the power of the Dark Side to defeat it, like Mace Windu), yellow, green, blue (all Jedi colors), or white (meaning he rejects both Jedi and Sith the authority, like Ahsoka Tano in Rebels)?
Green, due to colour limitations of phosphorescent gel.

Back in the day, the bloodthirster was more canine looking. My favorite bloodthirster art from the original slaves to darkness book was:

1040041_sm-.png

When I chose a head for my bloodthirster conversion, i kept that in mind:

1040169_sm-.jpeg

As a side note: I used the same base body (Minotaur demon lord) for my keeper of secrets and bloodthirster- hopefully not too obvious once painted!