All the relics?

Withershadow

Just checking my understanding here in case I missed something.

The first free relic every army gets must be given to a character of the same faction as the Warlord.

So for example, an army led by an Astra Militarum Warlord can give an Astra Militarum character an heirloom of conquest.

Additional relics may be purchased via the use of a stratagem (in this case Imperial Commander's Armoury) to buy up to 1 or 2 additional relics.  This stratagem can only be used once per battle.

Alternatively, if you have an allied detachment of say Space Marines, you can use their Relics of the Chapter to buy up to 1 or 2 additional relics.

-----

What is to stop you using both of these stratagems and have up to 5 relics in your army?  Nothing?

The only argument against this is the same argument against any relics not drawn from the Warlord detachment. i.e. the term "extra" in the rules of these stratagems means that if you have an Astra Militarum Warlord, you can only take Astra Militarum relics.

Yet major competitive events don't play it like this, since I see allied detachment of Guard with Kurov's aquila all the time.

----

Thoughts?

Well, from the Craftworld FAQ, but applicable to everyone:

Q: If my army is led by a Harlequins Warlord, for example, and I have a Detachment of Craftworld units, can I use the Treasures of the Craftworld Stratagem to give a Character in the Craftworld Detachment a Remnant of Glory? A: Yes. The only requirement to have access to Stratagems is that you have a Detachment of the appropriate Faction. If you have a Craftworld Detachment, you have access to their Stratagems.

So then yes. You can have all the relics. So a battleforged army of Drukhari, Craftworld, and Harlequins can have up to 7 relics?

Presuming that all those factions have an applicable 'Extra Relics' Stratagem, your configuration provides enough command points to pay for it all, and you have models eligible to carry all those relics, yes.

Archived