Alternative Bullgryns

Hawkeye252

Anyone give any thought to using alternative models for Ogryns or Bullgryns?

I am leaning towards a purchase of the beastmen from Victoria Miniatures plus some of her shields. Looking to get other opinions. Regular Ogryn box is pricey for 3 models IMO.

Thanks for looking.

If you want something a bit outside of the box you could look at the blutkreuz apes and Markus from the dust tactics range. I bought some recently for relatively cheap. With a minimal amount of effort they can be converted to carry either shield type and a maul. They are similar in size to at least the old metal bullgryns (never compared thrm to the plastics) and they look pretty cool. I based mine to be slightly taller and I've never had a single complaint. Also, my teammates and enemies alike seem to really enjoy having gorillas running around the battlefield. Just some food for thought.

There are also these:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=309

all you'd need to do is swap the sword arm for a suitable replacement:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=718

You could also add these to fully enclose things:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=300

Edited by Inso

Maybe AoS Ironjaws with different heads? Those big armoured ones on big bases. They certainly look beefy and armoured enough.

Can't confirm for the ironjaws specifically, but when I made my old mutant army I found that giant Orks with WHFB ghoul heads looked great. Giant muscley bodies, teeny tiny little heads. Really emphasized how buff they were.

I got 6 of the incursion ape suits and just made sure to build their bases up with cork and rocks so they stand as tall as my normal Bullgryn. They're a little slimmer but with shields and bigger bases they fit right in. I tend to use them as my boneheads.

Anyone give any thought to using alternative models for Ogryns or Bullgryns?

I am leaning towards a purchase of the beastmen from Victoria Miniatures plus some of her shields. Looking to get other opinions. Regular Ogryn box is pricey for 3 models IMO.

Thanks for looking.

If they are for a Beastman force, have a look at the GW fantasy plastic Minotaurs maybe? They'd fit quite well with the Beastmen theme too. :)

• 4 years later...

Sorry to rez an old topic but I had a question that was along these lines.  would these Modified Orlock Weapon Masters with Berserk Style Swords together on a single 40mm base be a good Count as for Oygrn Bodyguard? And what if any upgrades do you think would be allowed with a WYSIWYG kind of eye? Mind I have a Mechanicus looking Pistol attached to a servo arm over one to represent either the Ripper Gun or Grenade Gauntlet.

DDF631C3-CCE0-44AB-BAFF-84370EAFED1A.jpeg