Proactive Space Marine changes following Big FAQ

Dracos

The rule of 3 is not a beta rule tho.

It is not even a rule. It is a guidline for tournaments.

Which basically means it will seep into casual play. Tournament metas seep into casual metas. Tournament FAQ's affect casual play. To simply go "it's just a guideline" is consciously pretending that tournaments have zero affect on the majority of games played despite the contrary.

Points are a guideline. They aren't a rule. Power levels are a guideline. They aren't a rule.

See how silly that argument is now? And those are the hard wired ways of ensuring a fair game for pick up gaming with the Matched Play rules. Tournament decisions always affect casual play. If this 0-3 unit limitation becomes a hard, codified part of the tournament scene ( and since the last big FAQ proved, "beta" rulings quickly become normal rulings while being virtually unchanged ) then it will, inevitably, seep into regular matched play games with points or power level.

The exact same thing happened in 5th through to 7th edition. Tournament rulings, mission packs and mindsets affected non-tournament playing. Hell, it even affected terrain, which is one of the biggest factors in 40k that's constantly overlooked.

It's not a matter of me not choosing to use it. It's that it will affect how I can play my games and build my lists in my local area or further afield. I have an entire themed list killed stone dead by this "guideline", which is why I posted earlier asking for tank squadrons. Selfish of me, but it's still a proactive change to the Space Marine codex as it allows the Space Marine player to have a modicum of flexibility with list building in the face of this new "guideline" for those of us who want to take our themed lists to events in future.

And since scrapping the 0-3 unit limitation is off the table, the only options available to people like me, who take themed lists and only themed lists is to see some way to get the Codex updated to allow for those lists. 

There are some guidelines that get used in casual play and some that don't.

Table size gets used. Detachment limit often don't. Just as an example. My group won't be using the Datasheet limit the same way we aren't using the Detachment limit and I imagine many other local metas are doing it similarly.

I don’t like squadrons. Infantry bias. BUT ... If they’re going to squadron Leman’s then they damn well ought to at least do the same with anything less than a Landraider. Yep Predator and Whirlwinds especially ;)

Archived