Company Ancient and the company banner questions

dread05

Just saying, im 95% sure the 3rd edition BA codex states that the captain replaces his chapter badge with his personal heraldry, which is then repeated on company standards.

The official symbol for the 4th company is, naturally, the green tear drop. If the company standard were a fixed thing, then it would use that, no?

Also, a company will have many banners. Mephiston had many banners - he had one given to him after a certain victory against the tyranids. Multiple chapter banners exist. I believe one of guy Haley's books mentions the hall of standards, and there's a lot of them. As a legion, if each of several hundred companies had a standard, that's a large starting point.

You can even see in the BA codex 2 different versions of the 2nd company banner, incorporating the winged chalice in different ways.

Basically, it's up to you. The version in my post was a group effort of people much better steeped in the lore and heraldic knowledge than me - I just spoke it - the original topic is credited and linked in the first post of my plog if you want to check it out

And I believe the commonly-shown Chapter Banner for the Ultramarines is referred to only as one of many, given that it's an Ultramarine standing over a Tyranid. Banners most definitely change over time. Let's not forget, 200 years is still a long time, practically speaking. Not every relic is has a glorious history stretching back 10,000 years to the shining days of the Great Crusade. The Blood Angels are renowned for their artistry. Hell, it's probably a part of becoming a Captain that they have to help create the new Company banner, or at least the heraldry.

Lastly, let's not forget that the Space Wolves completely change their organization every time a Wolf Lord gets replaced, given their Companies aren't so much military organizations but rather cults of personality.

Finecast was really horrible back then but the few finecast models you can still get from GW are okay-ish. Got the Lord Executioner recently and it's a perfectly fine model apart from the warped Iron Halo.

Kinda ironic that his model is that old, when you think about it.

I hope GW doesn't plan to keep this model for another 1000 years. :D

It really bothers me, Dante should be getting a new model after the Devastation of Baal. He's now an even bigger deal than he used to be and such and old model doesnt do him justice.

Dante has been named lord regent of the imperium and commander of imperium nihilus by Roboute Guilliman.

Finecast was really horrible back then but the few finecast models you can still get from GW are okay-ish. Got the Lord Executioner recently and it's a perfectly fine model apart from the warped Iron Halo.

Kinda ironic that his model is that old, when you think about it.

I hope GW doesn't plan to keep this model for another 1000 years. :biggrin.:

I've done a lot of internet browsing on Dante images while trying to figure how to do my kit bash, and I haven't seen a single picture of a finecast model where his axe wasnt bent.

Yeah but that's really not the big issue finecast used to have. Back then you could consider yourself lucky if you got a model without any bubbles in your third box (GW staff was opening them for you and had to send all the opened boxes with issues back to GW lol)

Great food for thought guys, thanks!
I've always considered the 'Company icons' (blood drop variations) as a 'charges' (heraldic emblem or device on the shield) in the coat of arms for a given Company. They would be important and also easy to quickly distinguish and maintain on the battlefield, but still only part of the whole.

I love the idea of an Angel Wing holding/attached to another charge motif being repeated on the banners. At least throughout the Battle Companies. IT would create cohesion in a multi-company task force.

I also agree with the concept that there would be many banners. However I envision them as being variations on the theme.
All in all, I'm gathering thoughts for my own heraldry for the Daemonbanes and so again, thanks for any thoughts.

Your ideas, Ekfud, about the 'Grail' (skull-formed chalice with blood drop(s) coming into it) is nice. I would however look for something more distinguishable from the 2nd Comapny's winged chalice spilling blood drops.
Got a few ideas, but I'm letting them grow until I make an actual attempt at the Company banner itself.

I don't expect any more Triumvirate boxes to get released. At least not anytime soon. That's been a Gathering Storm thing and it's been almost 1.5 years since then.

Archived