Meka dread ability & Titanic overwatch

Bmseifer

Question 1:

Today I played a game vs orks and they used Meka Dreads.

We had an rules argument about its ramshackle monster ability. They said it resets to a 4+ each time a new weapon is fired on it, reading the ability as some kind of loop that resets itself because the sentence starts with 'each time...'

I felt this would be way to powerful and I interpret the ability as once you failed that 6+ it's gone for the rest of the game.

How does it work?

Question 2:

If a unit with the ability to fire it's weapons even if there are enemies within 1" is charged when it is locked in close combat, can it then fire overwatch on the charging unit?

Question 2 is answered in updated Astra Militarum FAQ/Errata.

"Baneblade, Banehammer, Banesword, Doomhammer, Hellhammer, Shadowsword, Stormlord and Stormsword, Steel Behemoth Change the third sentence to read: ‘It can, except when firing Overwatch, also still fire its weapons if enemy units are within 1" of it (but only its twin heavy bolter or twin heavy flamer can target units that are within 1" of it – its other guns must target other units).’"

Assuming it is one of those units, no, it cannot fire overwatch if enemies are within 1". If it is something else, you would have to look at the exact wording of the rule, but I would expect it to work the same. 

Answer 1: you get a 4+ to ignore each wound until you roll a 3 or less. Then you get a 5+ until you roll a 4 or less, then you get a 6+ until you roll a 5 or less, then you get no more wound ignore roll.

Answer 2: Unclear. There is no indication which rule takes precedence unless it is in the rule itself. Pistols for example have no rule similar to the one Bluejayjunior quoted.

Archived