Valkyrie or Blackstar

Delta.Skies

I have an Inquisitor with 3 units of 3 acolytes. Thinking of including 4 crusaders and a priest. But that will prompt me to move to an Valkyrie. My question is does anybody have any experience playing the two. To see if it's worth dropping the blackstar for a valkyrie and moving my deathwatch to rhinos. How do they compare. In heavy debate about my transportation and my fluffy vanguard detachment to add to my DW & AM battalions

This is interesting because when I first started out in 8th, I really wanted to have "special op" teams on the ground with some sort of air strike ability to support my teams. Instantly I drifted towards the Valkyries. I think the big consideration that dissuaded me from using them is the BS 4+ and not having PotMS. In terms of pure transportation and fluff, ya it definitely sounds great. Blackstars are definitely a lot stronger than a Valkyrie and does so much more then just transport units. The Blackstar doubles as a reliable gunship but the Valkyrie has slightly stronger base weapons (Str 5+). I think if you're fielding multiple Valkyries, you'd be good... but if you have a low amount of flyers (1-2), I usually stick with Blackstars. Plus they can hold 12 space marines.

And oftenly enough, there are quite a few people who tend to ignore flyers because they don't have the firepower to even mess with it. If they choose not to mess with it, then I'm going to drop a TH team in your backfield and annihilate your HQ :) I feel it also help divert attention away from other units if I can tempt them to shoot my flyer with the normal -1 to hit.

This is interesting because when I first started out in 8th, I really wanted to have "special op" teams on the ground with some sort of air strike ability to support my teams. Instantly I drifted towards the Valkyries. I think the big consideration that dissuaded me from using them is the BS 4+ and not having PotMS. In terms of pure transportation and fluff, ya it definitely sounds great. Blackstars are definitely a lot stronger than a Valkyrie and does so much more then just transport units. The Blackstar doubles as a reliable gunship but the Valkyrie has slightly stronger base weapons (Str 5+). I think if you're fielding multiple Valkyries, you'd be good... but if you have a low amount of flyers (1-2), I usually stick with Blackstars. Plus they can hold 12 space marines.

And oftenly enough, there are quite a few people who tend to ignore flyers because they don't have the firepower to even mess with it. If they choose not to mess with it, then I'm going to drop a TH team in your backfield and annihilate your HQ :) I feel it also help divert attention away from other units if I can tempt them to shoot my flyer with the normal -1 to hit.

Having the hardest time trying to determine my transportation. Had to take out my assassin which left me with 90 points to spare. Then I thought of beefing up my inquisitor (nemesis hammer and stormbolter) w acolytes and thought of putting him in the blackstar. Rn I have listed a blackstar and razorback. But with 3 killteams. Watchmaster and librarian. I'm at odds on filling in this gap with transportation. And needed some viewpoints.

Why not just take the inquisitor in the -1 CP detachment? If you have a battalion already, you aren't losing too much since we literally have no clutch stratagems. I run a Xeno inquisitor myself (not lately though due to the battle brothers beta rule) with plasma gun and power maul. I don't want him going toe-to-toe with some demon HQ in my case, but I do want that cheap smite next to a kill team. And he still has a decent weapon to add some overall damage to a unit. Getting them bonuses against key words would be a plus, then I could potentially overcharge.

But that's my view. I'm still on the fence with Inquisition being a legitimate force to supplement my DW body count needs. The blackstar wins for me. And honestly, if I take a SM detachment, I would still consider a blackstar air wing detachment :-P

Why not just take the inquisitor in the -1 CP detachment? If you have a battalion already, you aren't losing too much since we literally have no clutch stratagems. I run a Xeno inquisitor myself (not lately though due to the battle brothers beta rule) with plasma gun and power maul. I don't want him going toe-to-toe with some demon HQ in my case, but I do want that cheap smite next to a kill team. And he still has a decent weapon to add some overall damage to a unit. Getting them bonuses against key words would be a plus, then I could potentially overcharge.

But that's my view. I'm still on the fence with Inquisition being a legitimate force to supplement my DW body count needs. The blackstar wins for me. And honestly, if I take a SM detachment, I would still consider a blackstar air wing detachment :-P

Never thought of that, guess I was just wrapped up in the concept of acolytes taking his wounds for him, opens up some thoughts to putting points into more crusaders.

Why not just take the inquisitor in the -1 CP detachment? If you have a battalion already, you aren't losing too much since we literally have no clutch stratagems.

Not a bad strategy in the immediate, but our codex is due in soon with 31 or so Strategems, so I wouldn't count this out just yet!

Archived