Pistols at dawn (jump pack vets - two ways)

mjrwaud

Trying to wrap up some more projects before the codex hits and finished up these two squads of vanguard vets to either squeeze into kill teams or use as separate squads... but I'm curious whether you all think it's best to stick with the "standard" colour scheme for more of my vets (vanguard, melee focused, stalkers, heavies) or keep doing small teams with alternative schemes to fit into the same force?

"Standard"... most of the force looks like this...

"Shadow"... I'd think of doing a stalker squad in a similar way (I've already got a polar themed stalker squad)

I"ve always thought of the Deathwatch as doing whatever it takes and using unconventional approaches, but does it detract too much from a cohesive looking army? Thoughts? 

I'm not sure what the rest of your dudes look like, so I'm not sure how they could detract from the rest of your army, but these look great! I like the red vents on the jump packs.

Thanks!

I've been a bit chaotic when it comes to painting them in small batches... I get bored (or forgetful about) doing the same method each time so the base colour of every squad looks a bit different each time already even if I try to keep the small bits consistent. Painting whole armies is a challenge!

Here are a few other squads as an example...

I'm not sure how I'll fit primaris marines in here... maybe some camo reivers?

This is your army. Totally up to you man. I personally like everything to match so I can mix and match units around without issue. But you do you. The models look great!

This is your army. Totally up to you man. I personally like everything to match so I can mix and match units around without issue. But you do you. The models look great!

Ah, that's true and personalizing a force is at -least- half the fun!

I also love the look of a really unified force, but as great as solid black Deathwatch force looks it can be a real motivation drag to do 'eavy metal style line highlights on that much armor over and over. I'm glad these variations turned out alright!

I like the red vents on the jump packs.

Me too. Totally stealing that idea.

Thanks, that's quite a compliment! I hope the rules for heavy thunder hammers improve so I can paint up a squad of heavy hitter jump packs next... ;)

I think the MWG video for the codex said that they didn't change at all (HTH) so they're still going to be regular thunder hammers for me it sounds like.

Archived