Summer Holiday Reads

Burni

Off on my hols soon and am going grab a couple of BL books to read.

I was thinking The Magos for one. Really enjoyed the other Eisenhorn books, is it as good as them?

For a second book; I’ve just started an Ad Mech army with a couple of Armigers. So am in a AM/Knight/Titan kind of mood. I think I read Titanicus back in the day. What are the 2 recent Titan books (Warlord and Imperator) like?

My other option is the Priests of Mars trilogy (only read book 1 but enjoyed it) or one of the new Ad Mech books like Skitarii - are they any good?

Another thought is the DI period books. Have read DI, Agents of the Throne (great) and Devastation of Baal. Any other good ones yet?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance

The Priest of Mars trilogy was excellent, it was a while ago that I read the series but I remember thinking of the books quite favorably!

You may enjoy the Horus Heresy book Mechanicum, or the novella Cybernetica (though if you have not read the other Horus Heresy books a few details may escape you). That said, the first Horus Heresy book I ever read was A Thousand Sons (book #12 in the series). That was back before I realized that there was a reading order, haha!

Speaking of which, the Horus Heresy series is worth the investment; if you haven't read Horus Rising, I cannot recommend it enough!

If you're looking for just a casual action story, the Space Marine Battle Series is always nice.

Hope this helps!

I don't advise reading "The Magos" if you haven't read the Ravenor books.

It goes in this order: Eisenhorn > Ravenor > The Magos > Bequin. (You mentioned reading Eisenhorn but not Ravenor, so I assumed you haven't read it)

So once you do read The Magos, I highly recommend the Bequin books, which at the moment there's only one, and it's called "Pariah".

As Mr. Apothecary Vaddon said, "Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion" was an excellent read. As it serves as a great introduction to the current post-Gathering Storm timeline.

And lastly, personally, I recommended reading the Dark Eldar trilogy. They are so fun, full of adventures and horror moments (but sadly, no sex, as you would expect). Also, it's easy to follow along and understand; you don't really need to know much about Eldar history at all.

I really enjoyed "Imperator" (possibly a bit on the experimental/unusual side to be an easier holiday read), thought "Warlord" was okay (fairly pedestrian, not awful), and really enjoyed the Rob Sanders' AdMech duology (though some people say it's a bit too heavy on product placement, I saw the bits they mean but... didn't find they affected my enjoyment).

All that said: "Nouns of Mars" is a great trilogy. It's less sensible and a lot more far-fetched than the others, but it's also some of McNeill's finest work. Wide spread of characters having a harrowing romp of an adventure.

----

For other Ad Mech goodness, I'd also strongly recommend the "Eye of Medusa" and "Voice of Mars" (though I'm only just starting it). They're hugely more "sci-fi" 40k than I've read in a long time. A bit from and brutal in places, but exceptionally well done.

----

What sort of holiday reads do you prefer? Ripping yarns? Deeper books you wouldn't read the rest of the year? Any old thing?

I'll second the Priests of Mars trilogy (collected now in one volume as Forges of Mars Omnibus). Its a lot of pages, but it reads fast. Lots of great characters in a fast paced adventure. I would also recommend this as a first read for anyone who is contemplating a first step into the 40Kverse. It's got everything, but the Emperor's kitchen sink:wink: 

I'll second the Priests of Mars trilogy (collected now in one volume as Forges of Mars Omnibus). Its a lot of pages, but it reads fast. Lots of great characters in a fast paced adventure. I would also recommend this as a first read for anyone who is contemplating a first step into the 40Kverse. It's got everything, but the Emperor's kitchen sink:wink:

Gotta third this and that's a solid point about it being a good entry point to 40k. It's packed, a very maximalist set of books that don't confine themselves to what you see on the tabletop, just throwing more and more ideas in. Kind of Rogue Trader style in that regard, feels like a blown up version of some of the stories you got in Deathwing and Inferno. Worth finishing off.

Skitarius and Tech-Priest are unfortunately rather plain and paint by numbers by comparison. Rob Sanders still brings some flashes of brilliance and the atmosphere is pleasingly grim but they're not amazing.

I agree with Manchu Warlord on The Magos though, you're just not going to get much out of it if you haven't read the Ravenor trilogy first. It'll only really be in the last third or so but there's quite a few characters whose presence and actions won't be as meaningful. One to save for another time

Archived