Q about drop pod

Kein

Hi guys :smile.:

i'm definitely wrong somewhere, but i need your help to find where :smile.:

1 - Drop Pod is a transport

2 - (drop pod assault, any) Any models embarked inside must immediately disembark, but they must be set up more than 9" away from any enemy models. 

3 - (disembarking, pg 183) When a unit disembarks, set it up on the battlefield so that all of its models are within 3" of the transport and not within 1" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain.

4 - (disembarking, pg 183) Units that disembark can then act normally (move, shoot, charge, fight, etc.) during the remainder of their turn.

soooo... what's forbid to disembark, move inside 9" range and do any flame\charge heroic things ?:smile.:

Can't found reason in rule book and any faq's... in memory there are couple of phrases about "unit that arrives count as reinforcements too", but it might be from older editions.

I'm suggesting that there are "devils in detail's" in arriving, "At the end of any of your Movement phases", and this theory backed up with rule book faq about stratagems....
Q: If I set up a unit on the battlefield as reinforcements at the end of my Movement phase, can I then use any Stratagems that are used ‘during your Movement phase’? A: No, unless the Stratagem specifically says otherwise.

i'm agree, that it is rough try to make pod better, but

Moving, pg 177 - You can then pick another unit to move, until you have moved as many of your units as you wish.

and nowhere is said that unit, that don't move can't do it "at the end of the movement phase" (pod is landing, and it is "moving at the end"), and i'm definitely wish to do it :biggrin.:

What do you think ? :wink:

You pretty much need to set up the models outside of 9" of enemy and 3" of the drop pod. The pod itself also needs to be outside 9". Since they disembark, units can no longer move in the movement phase. That really is all there is to it.

You pretty much need to set up the models outside of 9" of enemy and 3" of the drop pod. The pod itself also needs to be outside 9". Since they disembark, units can no longer move in the movement phase. That really is all there is to it.

yeap, they disembark outside 9". 

but, disembark don't prevent units to do anything, quote and link from rule book in first post, #4

The rules for Reinforcements covers this, units that arrive from off table cannot move or advance in the turn they arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

The rules for Reinforcements covers this, units that arrive from off table cannot move or advance in the turn they arrive.

Unless they have a specific special rule that allows them to. I'm sure something like that exists, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Not after the recent FAQ. Forgive the long copy paste, but that last "no" is what stops further movement:

The rules for reinforcements say that when a unit is set up on the battlefield as reinforcements, it cannot move or Advance further that turn, but can otherwise act normally (shoot, charge, etc.).

Q: Can such a unit make a charge move? Can it pile in and consolidate?

A: Yes to both questions – the unit can declare a charge and make a charge move, and if it is chosen to fight, it can pile in and consolidate.

Q: Can such a unit move or Advance for any other reason e.g. because of an ability such as The Swarmlord’s Hive Commander ability, or because of a psychic power such as Warptime from the Dark Hereticus discipline, or because of a Stratagem like Metabolic Overdrive from Codex: Tyranids, etc.?

A: No.

Not after the recent FAQ. Forgive the long copy paste, but that last "no" is what stops further movement:

I believe what Claws and Effect was referring to is a rule that specifically exempts the unit from particular Reinforcements restriction (as some GSC Cult Ambush results do). The FAQ is saying that abilities/effects that just grant an extra move without such a specific clause won't work on newly arrived units.

I see your point, but do any of those units arrive via Drop Pod? As far as I'm aware the cornucopia of SM varieties don't have movement abilities aside from the odd psychic power (Wing of Sanguinius comes to mind, which is no longer able to be used after the FAQ I quoted).

I see your point, but do any of those units arrive via Drop Pod? As far as I'm aware the cornucopia of SM varieties don't have movement abilities aside from the odd psychic power (Wing of Sanguinius comes to mind, which is no longer able to be used after the FAQ I quoted).

I mean Claws and Effect was talking in a general sense in response to your general statement about "units that arrive from off table (not being able to) move or advance in the turn they arrive"... which includes the likes of Genestealer Cults whose rules specifically overrule that restriction.

I believe what Claws and Effect was referring to is a rule that specifically exempts the unit from particular Reinforcements restriction (as some GSC Cult Ambush results do). The FAQ is saying that abilities/effects that just grant an extra move without such a specific clause won't work on newly arrived units.

Yep. That's what I meant.

I can't think of any that Marines have access to other than Strike From The Shadows, but they don't come down in pods.

Archived