Deathwatch as Allies

MeltaRange

Just curious if others are planning on using DW not as a stand-alone army, but rather as allies for other Imperium forces?  Frankly, their autonomy and flexibility make them pretty useful for killin', and I'm thinking that can be real useful in some setups.  

If you had a force that's more about board control, they could be a useful hammer unit.  The stratagem that allows 2 units to deep strike in for the low cost of 3CP (no actual points cost, no vehicle tax cost) could combine well with an army that spreads out quickly like Guard, or White Scar Bikers/Aggressors, allowing for quality landing zones. (especially post FAQ) The unit can surgically wipe away the biggest threat with the combination of the correct Mission tactic and Doctrine stratagem.

Conversely, if you had an army like Raven Guard or Scions or Stygies that deploy from off the board, DW units deployed on the board can provide ample Power Level to allow a lot to be deployed in the shadows, while still providing some threatening shooting for relatively cheap.  This is what I'm thinking about doing myself.  Their firepower is actually surprisingly long-ranged and so can be effective right from Turn 1.  I think I'd rather have a 9 PL Vet squad with Stalker Bolters than a 5 PL Tac Squad for the points I think.  Also really liking things like 5 Auto Bolt Rifle Intercessors, who can get 2 AP-1 shots @ 30" range with Kraken Bolts.  Just a ton better than regular Intercessors in my mind for just a couple extra points.  After all, my opponents are often shooting at my Castle that appeared from the Shadows, so I think the deployed firebase of DW will be pretty safe.  Might as well make those units Killy.  I'm thinking a battalion of RG (3x Scouts) and a battalion of DW (WM, Libby, 2x Stalker Vets, AutoBoltgun Intercessors) gives me around 60 PL on the board and 10 CPs.  That's a lot of Striking from the Shadows right there...

Finally, I think there's potential for the DW as an assault force in an army that lacks combat punch.  Besides the aforementioned Teleporarium stratagem, I also really think the Corvus is a solid option for being used as an assault transport given it's cheap (at least relative to other flying transports like the Stormraven) and decently durable at T7, Hard to Hit, and re-roll 1s to save.  The assault units themselves can bring Storm Shields, Bikes, and VV to improve their effectiveness in a front line assault role.  Certainly could be something interesting in say a Cawl Castle army to clear away things trying to tie up your robots/dunecrawlers.

Used them before the codex as allies for my guard. Worked wonders then. It's fluffy also. Single fully kitted out kill team in Corvus, with watch captain or chaplain. Rest of the list is the guard. 

I'm not joking I had games where DW just deleted 1/3 of my opponent army, the turn they disembarked Corvus.

DW has everything the guard lacks. Solid punch in CQC and in a shooting. While guard wins games slowly wearing down the opponent, DW will most of the time kill its target in one turn. Amazing for counter attacks, flanking or just as distraction carnifex. 

If you are running single kill team, just give your HQ the tome of ectoclades, and you can change mission tactic every turn if you keep your HQ close.

Archived