Kill Team Combat Squad Rule

So I'm seeing that our both Kill Teams are gaining the "Combat Squad" rule. So in theory if we had a 10 man kill team with x5 Vets and x5 Bikers we could split the squad in two (one all vets the other all bikes) and run them as two separate units? Basically giving the Bikers the "Troop" category and freeing up a Fast Attack slot. Not sure if I'm interpreting this right, or this will get FAQ'd to fix it.

So I'm seeing that our both Kill Teams are gaining the "Combat Squad" rule. So in theory if we had a 10 man kill team with x5 Vets and x5 Bikers we could split the squad in two (one all vets the other all bikes) and run them as two separate units? Basically giving the Bikers the "Troop" category and freeing up a Fast Attack slot. Not sure if I'm interpreting this right, or this will get FAQ'd to fix it.

From what I've seen, that's exactly what it might mean. That is unless the combat squad rule in the codex is worded differently. Another question would be if the buffs provided by those units being included with veterans apply even after combat squading. As in, would a squad of 5 vets, 4 bikes, and a VV allow the bikes to fall back and shoot after you split them? Obviously the vets would lose them

None of the reviews I've seen actually go into the combat squads rule and read it, I'll bet it only works if you have 10 veterans not just 10 models

Edit:

...Another question would be if the buffs provided by those units being included with veterans apply even after combat squading.

No because the exact wording is "a unit which includes x unit gains y benefit"

None of the reviews I've seen actually go into the combat squads rule and read it, I'll bet it only works if you have 10 veterans not just 10 models

Edit:

...Another question would be if the buffs provided by those units being included with veterans apply even after combat squading.

Wouldn't that still affect the toughness of bikers if you dont have the same amount or more than vets?

Edit:

Wouldn't that still affect the toughness of bikers if you dont have the same amount or more than vets?

5 bikers = T5 ; 5 Vets = T4 .. no arguments there

Edit:

5 bikers = T5 ; 5 Vets = T4 .. no arguments there

i feel you on that, just the above said 5 vets, 4 bikes, 1 vet . So with the rule of toughness you would have to go with the highest model count, wonder if that still counts when you do combat squad

Combat squads become separate units so you wouldn't compare models from different units.

It would actually be better if 4 vets can still take heavies IIRC. Then you'd you could make a battalion with 3 5 man vet units with 4 ML apiece and 3 five man bike squads, you'd need an extra hq but you'd get 5 command points for it. 

Edit:

Yeah, that's my point. A unit of veterans with 5 vets, 4 bikes, and 1 VV gives fall back and shoot alongside fall back and charge to everyone. When you combat squad, it just becomes two units of Veterans - the other unit doesn't change its data sheet. So a unit of 10 veterans that is then combat squaded to 1 unit of 5 vets alongside 1 unit of 4 bikes and 1 VV would result in the bikes and VV sharing their special rule while the vets don't receive one at all. 

Or am I missing something?

This will be awesome.

Kill Teams with 5 Veterans, 3 Bikes, 2 Vanguard (each with Storm Shields) will have two Combat Squads doing different, awesome things. The fast one will have the Vanguard tanking those plasma shots, and will also be protected by the bikes' Toughness 5.

I would advise everyone to not email them asking for clarification. :yes: Instead, please focus on asking about the points cost of Terminators.

At least for now VVs have a use. They were lackluster before, but they are really meh as their own squad compared to the other options now.

Without all the Strategems in hand, it'd be foolhardy to write any unit off just yet.  That being said, it'll be interesting to see what sort of method folks come up with to try and abuse the CS Strategem as it's written in the new C: DW, because that does seem like something that could be taken off the deep end without much effort :P

Archived