Starting Over: Now with Truescale Tutorial Video

Blessings for a solid recovery brother. Being on the shorter end of the stick of life and having been through health issues myself I understand.....

Your hobby work is looking great:thumbsup: Every aspect of your figures look absolutely fantastic!

Prayers for your recovery brother. It's always a pleasure seeing you pop up in one of my threads, and your own work has always been an inspiration.

I'm loving the Raven Guard,so maybe uh, give them a shout?

Thanks guys. :smile.:

Just a quick update. I was reading through the codex and realised that Primaris Captains have had the Plasma Pistol and Powerfist option included in the army list, While this isn't anything earth shattering it gives another option for conversions or a more melee friendly build.

I bought this guy a while back but as I'm not a huge fan of cloaks I chopped it up and added the Lt legs from the starter set. It worked relatively well I think and I like the base model. 

http://i66.tinypic.com/16abl6q.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/28v7ejs.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/rbbn2c.jpg

What I am toying around with at the moment is maybe a Watch Company supported by various factions of the Imperium. Maybe seconded to the entourage of a Rogue Trader along with the  two knights. I think DW would be good for that. Still got tons of work to do on this guy yet but for now I'm just doing bits when I get time.

Thanks mate. :)

I'm not too sure at the moment. I doubt I would ever run two Primaris Captains so what I may do is use him as the Blood Angels guy I posted earlier but years later.

Given the way that Primaris have been introduced I'm keen to include a regular Astartes mentor figure, maybe a grizzled Space Wolves Wolf Priest. This way I could represent the character at various stages in his life time, as a youngster with the auto-bolter and as a veteran with the powerfist and plasma pistol.

The idea I am toying with is these guys are trying to retrieve the body of their Watch Master and are seconded to the Rogue Trader as he is basically heading out in the same direction. 

That's what I am hoping. :)

I have no idea what form any 40k rules will take for that set but worst case I can just use them as guard. The loose theme I have at the moment is a Rogue Trader picking up various Imperial factions in the aftermath of the gathering storm.

So you have the Death Watch giving chase to recover the body of their Master from the front of an Ork Warlord's Kill Kroozer, the Knight and his Squire (maybe his grand daughter) going off in search of Tyranid or Chaos monstrosities on one last delusional crusade, maybe some admech that are hunting for black stone and I'd like a few conscript units as a Penal Legion.

My plan is 1000pts of DW then 500 points of each of the others I mentioned that I can add as detachments. I think cheap guard might be a good way to boost my CP as DW seem to need a lot of them. 

I'm a bit stuck for now until next payday before I can get some much needed Aggressors and shoulder pads. On the whole I've been looking to get this army done as cheaply as possible so have been fishing around on Ebay for starter set Intercessors and the like that with a bit of dremel work can be modified for the shoulder pad. So far I've been saving about ten quid per squad which is helpful in the long run.

This is the Dreadnaught I'm starting work on in the meantime. I do have some interesting ideas to death watch this guy but I'll save that reveal for later. I've got for more of a veteran/contemptor head with this guy using the snap fix Redemptor. Probably the fastest vehicle kit build I've ever done but a really nice model, although it does suffer in some areas from where they haven't been able to do the overhangs of certain parts and it blends some areas together costing a little detail. But at £25 I'm not going to grumble.

http://i65.tinypic.com/jkwy9w.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/bi04yp.jpg

Damn, Doghouse. Strokes are no joke. You said you had a mild one, and you're back to painting and converting, but nevertheless that must have been a scary experience. I'm glad you're still kicking it with the hobby here. You've been a massive source of inspiration to me, so I'm going to sub this thread and hopefully support you a bit. Keep it up! Take care, mate. :tu:

Razblood: Hello mate, long time no see. :)

Augustus b'Raass: Thanks mate I appreciate the support. Yeah I've had to make some changes, hobbywise this has involved mainly looking at stuff to make life easier such as the magnifying glasses or drills and I may look into getting a cheap airbrush at some point. For the most part I am ok but I still get tired pretty easily mostly due to medications and suffer from bouts of confusion. I can often forget words mid-sentence and find myself slurring an apology for not being able to understand what is being discussed. Most people I know are quite understanding about it and think they can see how frustrating it can be at times for me.

On the whole I'd say it's been surreal more than anything else, dazed or cloudy is the way I'd explain it best I think if that makes any sense?  I've been in some pretty hairy situations in the past where everything sort of slows and you find yourself thinking crap this is actually happening to me right now and you take it all in clearly. This was more one minute I was seriously stressing out at work, then the next I didn't understand what was happening and was slurring my speech apparently. I tried to call my doctor to get an emergency appointment because of chest pains then the triage doctor rang back and asked me to call an ambulance right away which my boss then did for me despite my protests at what I thought was a lot of fuss over nothing. 

It's not been much fun but to be honest I'm not really one to let it get to me. I do have a lot of models I'd like to make but for now I'm a little weary of ruining them so will just take my time.

kpoOZxT.jpg

The marking on the Khorne Berserker's chainaxe and left kneepad looks near-identical to the Chinese/Japanese character for "heaven." Did the artist intend to have the Berserker channel Akuma (a.k.a. "Gouki"), from the 'Street Fighter' video games?

Glad to see you back at it. I can only imagine how hard what you're coping with would be. Kinda makes my situation seem not so bad. I'll be following this closely. You've always been an inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...

Stay strong, brother! Speedy recovery.... even if you are a loyalist dog! :Troops:

Thanks mate, although secretly I'm a Heretic I just haven't told the others yet.

Glad to see you here again, and wishing you the best with your recovery. Your stuff's a credit to the hobby  and community, as ever, but then that goes without saying, really.

Thanks mate. :) If I can inspire someone to give something a try then I'm happy.

Glad to see you back at it. I can only imagine how hard what you're coping with would be. Kinda makes my situation seem not so bad. I'll be following this closely. You've always been an inspiration.

Thanks mate, well whatever it is I hope your situation improves. For the most part I'm ok, just the odd groggy and confused moment but it'll pass. ;)

Sorry to hear about what happened, could only imagine how hard its been. None the less it has not impeded your ability to produce great looking models ;-)

Thanks mate. It's more of a things take a little longer to get done, which putting a positive on it means I am actually focusing on a model before running off and starting something else. It may take a little while but having one thing to concentrate on helps (must not start knight army...must not start knight army...). 

Update 

No pictures just yet but I have finally got the parts I needed to carry on with the army. It has given me a bit of time to think things over about the direction I want to go with the army and look at how to do it on the cheap. It has been a serious pain trying to source the pads for this army but GW finally got some more in and I picked up some Aggressors at the same time.

I have three blocks planned for the army at the moment which goes something like this:

1: Death Watch Battalion

This is the main core of the force at the moment but I am looking at two units of veterans using the Japanese Space Marine Heroes which I have started on and it gives them a very unique look and then a Fortis team of primaris to give me my three troops slots. HQ will be a Chaplain and Primaris Captain.

To back these up I will have the option of a Redemptor which will be great for teleporting in, a five man veteran squad with four heavy bolters again using the Space Marine Heroes series, then either a Razorback or Rhino depending on how I make it and a Land Raider.

2: Penal Legion Battallion

Shameless CP grab with either 90 conscripts and a couple of Commissars and Company Commanders or 3 guard squads and two Company Commanders. 

3: Knight Lance

Well some sort of Knight detachment, not  really gone into detail with it yet beyond repairing a Warden I started long ago and a couple of Armigar warglaives. Given the current drops in price all over the place with the knights it is very tempting to start a knight army but I'm going to leave that for another day. Going with House Hawkshroud because it's he closest I could find to my original Knight House of waaaay back in epic days of House Hawkwood.

I hope to get some pictures up soon but just wanted to let people know I am still working on this.

• 1 month later...

So with no much free time of late I have now got the DW parts together along with 30 guard models which I will be putting together as two detachments. In the meantime I've started something a little less intense and am putting together a small Kill Team.

The idea behind them is that this is a penitent squad. These are the rare exceptions of the recruits that just don't fit in, rather than execute them or turn them into servitors they are instead put into a Penitent team who do not officially exist and are charged with the most suicidal missions.

I'm going with Successors of Raven Guards as the main theme, the models are seriously messy at the moment but I want a really worn and grungy look and feel to them. I've gone with Rift Stalkers, Knights of the Raven, Black Guard and Raven Guard although I may throw in a Reviler too.

Sergeant

I am still blending and working in the grime at the moment, although I do need to clean up that dark splodge along his right cheek now I see a picture of it. Basically this guy is one of the post Heresy recruits, he's woken up in a world that is completely insane and is extremely belligerent to his superiors who he sees as superstitious madmen.  

http://i65.tinypic.com/30a8f42.jpg

This is a loose collection of the first members of this team. I'm clocking in at 96 points at the moment and have focused mainly on Reivers as I can see them being extremely useful with their grapples and grav chutes which should be really useful and make for an interesting play style. I've avoided close combat weapons because of the way I hope to play these guys, if they are in melee then something has gone wrong as far as I am concerned.

I have a couple of thematic options I am playing with, it's tempting to make the Scout the leader model purely because he can sit back out of harms way and snipe so as not to risk losing the ability to issue command points. Running in with the Reiver leader does have it's downside. I also like the idea of him being a handler for the team, if any of them try anything funny it's his job to put them down, maybe even Suicide squad them with explosive neck bombs.

I really didn't want to go full Reiver mainly because it feels like a wasted opportunity to mix things up and this gives me a chance to throw in one of the space marine hero models. I may swap the regular astartes model out for the heavy bolter and go for a clean 100pts.

http://i67.tinypic.com/102teyx.jpg

I’m a little late joining the party here, but I’m very relieved to see you’re recovering well. Thats horrible news about the mini-stroke. My boss just had a series of mini-strokes recently. Thankfully he’s made a full recovery, so here’s hoping you do too

I’ve always been a huge fan of your work. It was your models that originally got the truescaling gears going for me. I may have a different approach now, but it was definitely your models that opened up that possibility for me. So now I’ll take your life advice and stop being so shy and quiet, and give you a HUGE thanks for everything you’ve done for this hobby and community.

And your recent models are just ace brother ;)

Thanks for the praise mate, that is very nice of you to say so but if my posting stuff has had a positive effect then all the better. Yeah I'm slowly on the mend, it's mainly tablet side effects I have to deal with these days but I'm getting there thanks. :)

Nice to know that you're truescaling and developing your own techniques as well, always great to see people trying their hand at that I'll have to go look at your project log in your signature.

The SGT looks good- you're a skilled painter- but did you misspell the word "Kill" (two "L"s) on his bolter? Is "Kil" (one "L") a name, e.g., that of the Sergeant, a battle-brother whose sacrifice he honors, or a major campaign? Or does the weapon bear runes that coincidentally look like the letters "K", "I", and "L"?

Thanks mate. :)

"KIL" is an old Rogue Trader art reference which I can't seem to find an image of. :D

As he a bit of a trouble maker I am using it to show he has used an old Terran gang spelling of the word from the days of the Heresy before he was an Astartes. The tally marks represent the missions he has completed, which given these guys are not expected to survive five missions is quite impressive. It's a nod to RT but also shows he doesn't buy into the more modern honouring the machine spirit aspect of the current superstitious Imperium. 

Archived