DW Veterans

L30n1d4s

Because those weapons are in a second separate list below it stating 'one weapon can be chosen from the following list' - it's like a sub-list in the deathwatch equipment list.

You get two chances on the list.  One part of the list gives you two options, the other part gives you one.  Hitting that list twice you can potentially take four items from the list.

Uh no.

You get two picks off of the Deathwatch Equipment list. That list itself is divided into two sublists: one of which you can choose from both times, and one which you can only choose from once (meaning the other choice must be from the first sublist).

On my 'to-build' list:

at least 5 veterans with storm bolters and chainswords

2-4 veterans with storm bolters and storm shields

4 veterans with stalker boltguns (I've got one already)

1-2 missile launcher veterans

It's building in to quite a list.

I'm going to be trying for 10. It's a long road ahead . . . :P

I had already magnetized my veterans and terminators, so for me it’s now a matter of sorting through my bits bag to find all the weapons I never used and adding magnets to them.

I'm going to be trying for 10. It's a long road ahead . . . :tongue.:

I had already magnetized my veterans and terminators, so for me it’s now a matter of sorting through my bits bag to find all the weapons I never used and adding magnets to them.

Just had a rummage and I have 20 Storm bolters and a tonne of chainswords so I just need to change the arms... thinking of taking the arms from the shotgun dudes who never see the tabletop...

My bits box is chock full of storm bolter from terminators plus loads of storm Shields from terminator's too, just need to put some time aside for modelling projects :)

I’m kind of leary of over doing the stormbolter. Yes it’s good bang for the buck but they’re still just Marines which most armies excel at ripping apart. I foresee having two vanilla Bolter guys per squad, especially the dude with the stormshield. I’d like to think the saved points will net me a few stormshields which I already had trouble finding points for.

Honestly not sure if storm bolters are going to look all that good on power armoured mini-marines. Feel like they'll look a little too goofy and bulky. Can't seem to find any pictures to see the scale, though...

I wonder if it'll be alright to just use those big Sternguard bolters with the massive box magazine and scopes as count-as storm bolters.

Honestly not sure if storm bolters are going to look all that good on power armoured mini-marines. Feel like they'll look a little too goofy and bulky. Can't seem to find any pictures to see the scale, though...

I wonder if it'll be alright to just use those big Sternguard bolters with the massive box magazine and scopes as count-as storm bolters.

Here are some that I made a few days ago.

gyiq86D.jpg?1

I’m kind of leary of over doing the stormbolter. Yes it’s good bang for the buck but they’re still just Marines which most armies excel at ripping apart. I foresee having two vanilla Bolter guys per squad, especially the dude with the stormshield. I’d like to think the saved points will net me a few stormshields which I already had trouble finding points for.

I thought so myself in the beginning, but ultimately it’s not that many points for a doubling of offensive output. If a marine manages to shoot even once, the stormbolter was probably worth it. And since most SB veteran squads will come from deepstrike/out of transports, it’s very likely to shoot at least once with every model.

That said, dropping one or two stormbolter because otherwise the points don’t add up is stil a good idea, after all it’s normaly vehicle SB that have to go first in such a situation (at least for me).

Indeed, I like the look of the SB on the Veterans just fine!  Note that Chris521's dudes don't even have shoulderpads yet and they look suitably mighty anyway!

I have to agree with Prot that overdoing the SB may be a bit shortsighted, though my plan is not to go absolutely crazy with them.  I'm going to try several squads with the classic 2 FC/3 Bolter build and several others with x5 SB and stack them up for usefulness.  OFC, we do have to remember that the Stalker Bolter just got a lot better too, so there's obviously several other builds that need testing . . . it's good to have a new 'dex! :)

Indeed, I like the look of the SB on the Veterans just fine!  Note that Chris521's dudes don't even have shoulderpads yet and they look suitably mighty anyway!

I have to agree with Prot that overdoing the SB may be a bit shortsighted, though my plan is not to go absolutely crazy with them.  I'm going to try several squads with the classic 2 FC/3 Bolter build and several others with x5 SB and stack them up for usefulness.  OFC, we do have to remember that the Stalker Bolter just got a lot better too, so there's obviously several other builds that need testing . . . it's good to have a new 'dex! :smile.:

Indeed, I'm pleasantly surprised at how decent they look. I may have to rethink it...

But I'm also thinking about trying to use the Grey Knight Paladin wrist bolters. Gonna scour some bitz sites and see how it goes...

I think I want to max out my Vet squads on size to ensure they get the most use out of strats. I'm looking at doing a couple squads with 4 Vets carrying SB/chainswords, 2 with SB/SS, 2 Frag cannons, 1 Terminator with SB/sword or fist, and a VV with double chainsword.

I'm personally not a fan of MSU for DW because their strats are amazing and I want the biggest bang for my buck with them. I can appreciate the need for smaller units for CP, though. Especially if going mono-DW. 

I'm personally not a fan of MSU for DW because their strats are amazing and I want the biggest bang for my buck with them. I can appreciate the need for smaller units for CP, though. Especially if going mono-DW.

I'll be sticking with MSU because I'm something of a servant of tradition, though it's not purely for the effectiveness.  I feel that DW are served better by farming as many CP as can be garnered, and x2 Battalion gives us a large pool to draw from.  Though it's possible that focusing down on a single Battalion with larger units is a wise choice, especially given Combat Squads and "split fire" are a thing.  It's also worth noting that the Veterans have vast capacity for upgrade and specialization, so taking MSU to avoid allocation restrictions (a la Tactical Squad spam in prior editions) is really not an issue for DW, as a rule.

zZiTwqol.jpg?1

That's with a Tartaros Storm Bolter.

That's with a Tartaros Storm Bolter.

10/10 :)

I'm loving the Stormbolter Vet squad now... but I hate twerp-marines.... I wonder how a stormbolter would look on a scout, as I could use those as the vets instead and use my primaris as my real marines (I just hate having an 8 foot tall marine look eye-to-eye with a guardsmen).

Scout body, Scout arms, Scion head, mini-marine legs.  I may have to mock one up.

You might be better off just proxying your bolters as Storm-Bolters for now, until an FAQ hits.

Unless you're playing in a tournament, and as long as you're consistent (every Veterans bolter counts-as a storm bolter, apart from this unit with scoped bolters that are Stalker Pattern etc) most people would be cool with it.

I may be wrong but I doubt they'd FAQ the Storm bolter off the SIA table. I think they'd more likely just up the points so that the entry didn't read "3pt per model take two shooting phases with every model."

Archived