Mentor Legion - an interesting 1st ed 40k Counts-As DW

N1SB

This took some digging, back 3 decades, in fact. I knew I read this, but couldn't find proof...until now.

In 1st ed Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, they introduced a Chapter that used experimental weapons, called the Mentor Legion (renamed the Mentors after GW started using Legions to refer mainly to 30k). They were special Marines that study and test new weapons and tactics. Example, the Mentor Bolt Gun:

gallery_57329_13636_8797.jpg

That seems very fitting for Special Issue Ammo. They also have things like the Targeting Web, which increases Strength/Damage/Save Modifiers like the different Ammo types or that Mortal Wounds Stratgem, as well as a "Time Warper" and "Shift Field", which may fit that Deep Strike Stratagem, etc.

I saw they mention this in the wiki, but the sources usually pointed to the wrong origin for this. This came in White Dwarf Issue 98, circa 1988, and was NOT collated in the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium or Compilation; they included an image of the Mentor Legion Marine, but forgot to include the rules.

(It might have been updated in 3rd ed or so with a Chapter Approved as well.)

Pointing this out in case you want to:

- have a Count-As Deathwatch Chapter, but don't want to paint everyone black

- play a classic Chapter with an unknown Founder/geneseed, don't want to just pick a random Chapter Tactic

- make another reference to 1st ed Rogue Trader, because that's the trend these days

I believe the upgraded Boltgun were part of an elite squad upgrade for the original Mentor Legion rules.

Since they were described as working in small numbers (single Astartes to squad level teams), the idea of having this represented by DW rules seems quite fitting. I think there was even mention to Mentor Astartes in the old DW Codex who cleared out a space hulk by himself (though with a shotgun and not a bolter ).a

I read that too, and it turns out in the details (without re-posting the whole Index Astartes), you can get:

Regular Mentor Tactical Squad with regular Boltguns + Targeting Web (which improves S/AP/Dmg)

Regular Mentor Tactical Squad with Mentor Boltguns (profile above) + Missile Launcher

Elite Cadre with EVERYTHING, with statlines that are basically HQ levels for 1st ed (WS/BS 6!)

So in effect, there were like 3 different Unit Entries, but as was typical of 1st ed, it was organised in a confusing manner that was easy to overlook.

It's like the Regular Mentor Tactical Squads need to make a CHOICE between the fancy Mentors gear, which may map to 8th with different options of Boltguns/Bolt Rifles/etc.  The Elite Cadre is the equivalent of like a Supreme Command force, with ridiculous statlines (equivalent to what Custodes are now), and although they are purchased as a squad of 5, they can be split up to lead other squads.

Both "regular" Mentor Tacticals and the Elite Cadre are distributed to fight alongside other armies...basically allies, so to map to 8th edition it'd be like taking a Patrol Detachment or Vanguard Detachment to another Imperium army.

Archived