CML Terminator or Bike Squad

Captain Boyle

I am looking at my models and trying to make lists based on the snippets of points values I've got from around various sources (shoutout to Veelo).

From what I can tell, a Terminator with Stormbolter and Powerfist and Cyclone Missile Launcher should cost 97 Points

31 for the Terminator, 4 for the Storm Bolter, 12 For the Power Fist and 50 for the CML. 

This gives a maximum of 4 SIA shots, either 2 Krak Missiles or 2d6 Frag Missiles, and two Power Fist swings in Melee on a two wound model who would be giving fearless to a stalker squad. 

However, three bikers costs 87 Points, which includes the cost of their twin bolters, on a total of 6 T5 wounds. If we add a stormbolter to the Sarge then thats a total maximum of 16 SIA shots and 6 basic swings in Melee.

Hell for 97 Points, I could take a Veteran Squad with a Power Fist on the Sarge. Max 10 SIA shots and Two Powerfist swings in Melee.

Which do we think is best?

Terminators to me seem to be too expensive to pull their weight on their own. They would be better if they cost the same as vanilla SM Termies, but right now I feel their only really place is to tank ap- shots for veterans.

The bikes are great for their speed and cost. They can quickly grab objectives and always be where they are needed.

For offense, 5 veterans with SB (I.e. 20 shots for 100 points) is hard to top, though frag cannons are also very tasty. Normal bolters on veterans are almost pointless now, unless the model in question is only used as ablative wound for special weapons.

Determines what the rest of your set up is going to be. And let's not forget you just turned your terminator into a glass cannon hq 97pts compared to a unit that could take objectives fast and clear hordes.

So statistically imo I say bikers cause they have multiple purposes and maneuverability.

But also another troop unit sounds good if you have transportation or you use them as a screen in your backfield. But like I said depends on the rest of your list.

Terminators to me seem to be too expensive to pull their weight on their own. They would be better if they cost the same as vanilla SM Termies, but right now I feel their only really place is to tank ap- shots for veterans.

The bikes are great for their speed and cost. They can quickly grab objectives and always be where they are needed.

For offense, 5 veterans with SB (I.e. 20 shots for 200 points) is hard to top, though frag cannons are also very tasty. Normal bolters on veterans are almost pointless now, unless the model in question is only used as ablative wound for special weapons.

Generally I play WYSIWYG, and I don't own many spare storm bolters. Most are on Terminator arms. 

Also, wouldn't 5 veterans with storm bolters be 100 points, not 200?

Determines what the rest of your set up is going to be. And let's not forget you just turned your terminator into a glass cannon hq 97pts compared to a unit that could take objectives fast and clear hordes.

So statistically imo I say bikers cause they have multiple purposes and maneuverability.

But also another troop unit sounds good if you have transportation or you use them as a screen in your backfield. But like I said depends on the rest of your list.

I was thinking Dual Battalions

Battalion 1:

HQ

Watch Master and Watch Captain with Jump Pack

Troops

Squad 1 - Five Vets with Bolters and Powerswords (One is a blackshield), Vanguard Vet with Powersword and Boltpistol, Terminators most likely with Assault Cannons, all in a Corvus Blackstar with the WM

Squad 2 - Five Vets with Bolters and Powerswords, One Vet with Frag Cannon,  All in a Lascannon Razorback

Squad 3 - Five Vets with Bolters and Chainswords, One Vet with Frag Cannon, All  in a LAscannon Razorback

Battallion 2

HQ

Librarian with Force Axe and Librarian with Force Stave

Squad 4 - Five Vets with Stalkers and Chainswords

Squad 5 - Five Intercessors with Bolt Rifles

Squad 6 - Three Vets with Shotguns and CHainswords, One Vet with Shotgun and Storm Shield, One Vet with a Fragcannon

I've got three bikers built, two normal and one with a powersword out to demote that he is the sarge

Also five vanguard veterans. Two with Boltpistol and powerswords, one with a gravpistol and powersword, one with thunderhammer and boltpistol and one who had had his arms torn off in preparation for his ascention to Watch Captain

And Five Terminators. One with CML, Storm Bolter and Powerfist, one with Storm bolter and melta fist, one with assault cannon and power fist, one with assault cannon and powersword, and who has a strom bolter and a powersword

Also five veterans who have had their arms taken off to receive some bolters or storm bolters if I can find any. 

You can switch out the powerfist for a power sword since it isn't a part of the SB to SB+CML switch.

If we manage to convince them 31 is an error and bring it down to 26, then that's a total of 84 pts for the loadout. So it's either 12 SIA shots up close for infantry or 2 ML shots at long range for tank and it'll likely be hidden in a 5 man Vet unit. I'd say each are good for the role they do.

Archived