Got the codex and have some questions

Azaiel

I got the codex now, slowly reading thru it and got a few questions.

If I have a mastercrafted bolter on my W.Captain and fire SIA do I still get the benefits of the mastercrafted bolter? example I fire a Hellfire round do I still get the ap -1 and D2?

I cant find the rules for the melta fist?

Does a watch sergeant cost the same as any other veteran (16 pts)?

The Stratagem "Optimised salvo" has me a bit confused. I always assumed that a unit could choose on a individual level what SIA round to fire in the shooting phase. Especially since we can split fire.

1) Yes

2) It's just a melta gun and a powerfist. Points cost are also just a melta gun and a powerfist.

3) Yes

4) No, we were never allowed to split SIA on the individual level. There was a specific sentence somewhere that explicitly said this, but I can't find it and this strategem is proof enough.

Edit: Silly me, it's in the SIA description:

"When this unit fires any ranged weapons... choose one kind of ammunition from the table..."

Many thanks brother!

Hmmm the Master crafted bolter is a tempting option for my Captain over the stormbolter.

I’m making a Primaris Captain with bane bolts and MC stalker bolt rifle to baby sit and buff my backfield Intercessors and hellblasters. Use kraken rounds and he’s putting out ap -3 D 3 bolter shots. That’s really nice.

Many thanks brother!

Hmmm the Master crafted bolter is a tempting option for my Captain over the stormbolter.

I’m making a Primaris Captain with bane bolts and MC stalker bolt rifle to baby sit and buff my backfield Intercessors and hellblasters. Use kraken rounds and he’s putting out ap -3 D 3 bolter shots. That’s really nice.

Wouldn't be able to do Kraken, but you could do 30" for AP -3. It's also one shot.

Still viable as 1 shot that wounds on 2s with Hellfire, -2 AP, and 3 damage.

Many thanks brother!

Wouldn't be able to do Kraken, but you could do 30" for AP -3. It's also one shot.

Still viable as 1 shot that wounds on 2s with Hellfire, -2 AP, and 3 damage.

I know it’s one shot, I meant damage 3, but I can see how it came off as 3 shots haha.

True on the kraken rounds; vengeance it is, then. I’ll take a 30” -3AP 3 damage shot any day.

I have a question as well. If you take a space marine detachment and a deathwatch detachment, can you use Hellfire Shells from each codex once per phase, or just one TOTAL per phase?

In one of the faqs they said identically named stratagem count as the same strategem

Right, I've a question for non-FW Heavy support the options are Land Raider or Hellblasters' what gun should I use or should I instead grab one of my Contemptor Mortis Dreds & earmark it for Deathwatch instead of using it with smurfs or Dark Angels?

The mortis would probably be best. Hellblasters are most likely better used in a mixed squad and land raiders are just not that great this edition.

I feel like they'd be fantastic if they could still fire after falling back, or could just fire at targets while in combat like Baneblades. 

The mortis would probably be best. Hellblasters are most likely better used in a mixed squad and land raiders are just not that great this edition.

K, I don't have that many land raiders to start with so I wasn't thinking of using them with my Deathwatch; as Primaris can't mix with normalrines that'd mean adding Intercessors & of cause the primaris combat squad boxes have gone oop; currently my Mortis choices are close combat weapon or assault cannon - fir that was the only weapons available when they were released & I bought them at the FW table during Gamesday - though if a Relic contemptor dread could be assigned to Deathwatch I've a heavy bolter & chainfist one on its way.

Rapid Fire Helbalsters deep strinking make super effective AT, but should really be run as KT's.  Having to chew through 10 3+ wounds means they likely get a second turn.
Unless youre trying to field a brigade, theres no reason to field heavy support options unless their datasheet justifies their points.

I think a lot of people want to use the Leviathan Dread, so they need a non-Relic heavy unit.

My recommendation would be the LASER DESTROYER (!!!!!) For that slot because it looks cool. Absolutely a model with an identity crisis, but so cool.

Mortis dreads can't have close combat weapons (they dual wield guns), and Relic Contemptors are elites. But yes, Relic Contemptors can be DW, and elite slots are easier to fill.

When I first built it I could or it counted as something else for another Chapter, now (going by IA:index) my dual Close Combat Weapon Contemptor counts as a relic contemptor, though it's not as blinged out. Either way I've more Contemptors hiding around the house then any other dreadnought type.

Mortis dreads can't have close combat weapons (they dual wield guns), and Relic Contemptors are elites. But yes, Relic Contemptors can be DW, and elite slots are easier to fill.

When I first built it I could or it counted as something else for another Chapter, now (going by IA:index) my dual Close Combat Weapon Contemptor counts as a relic contemptor, though it's not as blinged out. Either way I've more Contemptors hiding around the house then any other dreadnought type.
Some cross-talk there:

Relic Contemptors can take HB/Chainfist; Elite choice.

Mortis Contemptors cannot take Chainfists; Heavy Support choice.

It was also a Ohmygod in the morning thought stream, I got those Contemptors back in 2013 and kitted them out oddly, as I didn't have the appropriate IA book till later, after getting a Storm Eagle, and datasheets weren't readily found. It also doesn't help when you can't remember what slot each type fills & just what I was trying to do with my armies.

Archived