Acolytes Worth It

Are acolytes worth it, what is your load out. Im debating on making a vanguard detachment. 2 acolytes a piece with a stormbolter force sword wielding inquisitor. That will be behind 4 crusaders and 1 priest riding in a chimera.

- Should I invest in more crusaders and skip the acolytes and push em into combat

- What load outs do you have with your acolytes ( i was thinking 3 of them with bolt pistols and chainswords , 3 with hot shot las guns) but im not sure

Any suggestions and opinions are helpful for I have not played a game of 8th yet.

I equip Acolytes with plasma guns when I take them, but at the same time I use the Authority of the Inquisition to place them inside a Repressor which gives them much more survivability.

Acolytes are a must have for most Inquisitors. I see them as an auto +3/6 wounds to your inquisitor. If you just want a meat shield then just equip them with bolters, they get slaughtered in CC so the Chainsword Bolt Pistol combo is trash to me. The other way I play them is all equipped with storm bolters, I usually do this if they're in a transport. Sense they hit on a 4+ the sheer volley of fire power overcomes a lot of misses.

I tend to stay away from anything special, Plasma, Flamers, etc due to the fact that Acolytes shoot so poor, and they're meant to eat bullets for your Inquisitor. 

So unironically IQ as a pure force is functionally dead per latest FAQ. Acolytes now got ‘better’. Previous the prime issue with Acolytes is that every other comparable option was just better then them. At a lower price or equivalent price. Now Acolytes at 8 points give you a Bolter, BP, and 2A on a Guardsmen, no Frag Grenades. The closest comparison to these guys are Veterans (even through new rules no longer the case).

6 points Model, they are Gaurdsman with 3+ to hit. BS 3+ is worth two points. A boltgun and bolt pistol are each worth 1 to a standard Gaurdsman. Which would bring us to 6 points. (Same price as Veterans). Then we get +1 attack. Now +1 attack is hard to price. But pre-approved, a Grey Hunter was one point more than a other tacticals. The difference? It had a Chainsword and Boltgun. We can wager that it’s 1 point. But given the change in approved its likely now worth more like 0.5 points. So let’s say 6.5 points is the cost of Acolytes. Bodyguard is worth 0.5-1 points depending who you are asking. And we can exchange a Boltgun for a Chainsword (not sure why but you could). So let’s say 0.25. This means we are paying 0.75 points for Quarry of around total Body/Quarry is worth around 1.25 points.

Now the reason I mention all this, is Acolytes are still ‘bad’. But are now simply ‘less’ bad because they no longer directly compete with other options. It’s now a question of “Do I want small fire support teams” instead of “which is the best fire support team/bodyguard for my Inquistors?” In the case of the former, Inquistorial Acolytes actually aren’t overpriced that much. I’d say a point or so.

In PL games they are vaguely more worthwhile since you can load them up with “free” war gear. At least this is what I am telling myself. They’re probably still not that worth it — I mean are three acolytes all with power fists and plasma pistols really better than 5 scions with two plasma guns, and a fist and pistol on the sergeant? No, not even with quarry ... but it makes them more palatable at least for me.

I really hope Inquisition is sorted out if/when they get a proper codex.

Idk if better is the word for a unit that we can only take three of but the closest comparison is a unit that hardly sees the table anyway. Sadly, my inquisition projects are on hold until GW gets in the game.

If you rather I could compare it to Non-Striking Scions (Deep strikes add 2ish points to a model) or Skitarri, where in both cases it’s basically Quarry, +1A, Bodygaurd & CheapStorm Bolter v 4+ Saves, Army Rules, Bs3+.

Tbh Quarry is worth aproximately a point, what really ends up overcosting is the 2A v 1A and paying if we had 3+ BS for Weapons. But I am hoping Acolytes are changed up. Really letting you take inquisition units into any Imperium Detachment not breaking (Army) Tactics, and Acolytes getting unnerfed (but have a command squad rule no per than one per (Ordos) Inquistor). Would ‘fix’ the army’s core. Espacially if Jokero and Hosts get character /shrug. Wishlisting aside.

All I am saying is that Acolytes got better because they aren’t being compared to other comparable units (Firefighting anti-personal squads) directly. Sense now have to use them if we take inquisition outside of Auxillary/Supreme Command.*

*I do wish their was a detachment of 1 HQ and 1 Elite through but that aside

GW just needs to release a codex for inquisition assassins and w/e else (ministorum?) alongside new plastic inquisitor and acolyte kits with some better rules. Right now trying to play inquisition is just playing 40k on hard mode. Acolytes need a drastic points drop and regain many of the options that now disappeared. My old aolytes in power armour now have the same save as the regular dudes and just all kinds of wonky things like that made me just put them in my dispay cabinet for the time being.

So unironically IQ as a pure force is functionally dead per latest FAQ. Acolytes now got ‘better’. Previous the prime issue with Acolytes is that every other comparable option was just better then them. At a lower price or equivalent price. Now Acolytes at 8 points give you a Bolter, BP, and 2A on a Guardsmen, no Frag Grenades. The closest comparison to these guys are Veterans (even through new rules no longer the case).

6 points Model, they are Gaurdsman with 3+ to hit. BS 3+ is worth two points. A boltgun and bolt pistol are each worth 1 to a standard Gaurdsman. Which would bring us to 6 points. (Same price as Veterans). Then we get +1 attack. Now +1 attack is hard to price. But pre-approved, a Grey Hunter was one point more than a other tacticals. The difference? It had a Chainsword and Boltgun. We can wager that it’s 1 point. But given the change in approved its likely now worth more like 0.5 points. So let’s say 6.5 points is the cost of Acolytes. Bodyguard is worth 0.5-1 points depending who you are asking. And we can exchange a Boltgun for a Chainsword (not sure why but you could). So let’s say 0.25. This means we are paying 0.75 points for Quarry of around total Body/Quarry is worth around 1.25 points.

Now the reason I mention all this, is Acolytes are still ‘bad’. But are now simply ‘less’ bad because they no longer directly compete with other options. It’s now a question of “Do I want small fire support teams” instead of “which is the best fire support team/bodyguard for my Inquistors?” In the case of the former, Inquistorial Acolytes actually aren’t overpriced that much. I’d say a point or so.

Thank you for the statistics, that has really helped me in my decision.

Idk if better is the word for a unit that we can only take three of but the closest comparison is a unit that hardly sees the table anyway. Sadly, my inquisition projects are on hold until GW gets in the game.

I was thinking the same, I would have had to kitbash all mine, and tbh didnt want to fork out close to 4o bucks to distinctively make acolytes that wouldnt last long or play a major role 

Acolytes can still be targeted individually right? This is my big problem right now. I take them as a tax and have to hide them.

As far as i know yea, cause they are not characters, and if you have only 1 still is just a unit. which is one of the reasons i was in heavy debate about it. To keep points down and maintain a vanguard detachment, it was gonna be 2 acolytes in each unit to complete it at 6 acolytes all together.

However I decided to go with an Auxiliary Detachment and pair the inquisitor up with 5 crusaders, and a priest and throw them in a Taurox to support my Vanguard Vets and CC squad since he is a psyker. This is for my 2k list

For my smaller list ( fluff purposes too) im thinking of running a supreme command detachment with 3 psykers and 1 unit of acolytes to buff my backfield. thats when i think about giving those guys a lil more attention. 

Ugh, Acolytes... Every time the game changes the inquisition stuff gets it bum kicked. I'm hopeful for a codex at some point with the Rogue Trader game announced, since it basically comes with models that would make a great Inquisitor and retinue. Might have to make do with the datasheet saying Rogue Trader but I'll take it. Desperately in need of an Imperial Agents Codex.

Acolytes as they stand don't compare well to much of anything. Why not just take Scions with your Inquisitor instead? Fluffy and much more effective.

If I was going to make new acolytes to replace mine (mix of weapons that are just dreadful now) I'd go for all Storm Bolters but I'm not doing anything until the rules are fixed. I don't mind using sub-par units (love my Guard Veterans for example) but Acolytes are taking the micky at the moment...

At least they can ride in any transport, that's a fun bonus.

Ugh, Acolytes... Every time the game changes the inquisition stuff gets it bum kicked. I'm hopeful for a codex at some point with the Rogue Trader game announced, since it basically comes with models that would make a great Inquisitor and retinue. Might have to make do with the datasheet saying Rogue Trader but I'll take it. Desperately in need of an Imperial Agents Codex.

Indeed, the Inquisition forces of the Index seem to have been hit especially hard.

I continue to hope that the rules for Inquisition in the Shardow War: Armageddon Kill Teams rules give an indication of how GW might go with Acolytes in a codex. In those rules, for each Acolyte you can choose +1 WS or +1 BS "to represent their varied origins". Appropriate points costs and access to more wargear (again at appropriate costs) would be much needed as well. I still cannot fathom why an Inquisition power fist is 5x the cost of Imperial Guard fists, for example.

If the Rogue Trader armsmen and other crew get data slates for 40k, as has often been the case with other self-contained board/box game releases, that bodes well insofar as we may have some more options we can use pending a proper codex. I have faith that given GW's 8th edition modus operandi thus far, that we will eventually get some proper treatment. They do seem to be reviving a lot of old fluffy stuff and Inquisition has always been a mainstay of the fluff. Although I'll admit a multi part box set with lots of upgrade options seems a bit too good to be true.

Ugh, Acolytes... Every time the game changes the inquisition stuff gets it bum kicked. I'm hopeful for a codex at some point with the Rogue Trader game announced, since it basically comes with models that would make a great Inquisitor and retinue. Might have to make do with the datasheet saying Rogue Trader but I'll take it. Desperately in need of an Imperial Agents Codex.

Acolytes as they stand don't compare well to much of anything. Why not just take Scions with your Inquisitor instead? Fluffy and much more effective.

If I was going to make new acolytes to replace mine (mix of weapons that are just dreadful now) I'd go for all Storm Bolters but I'm not doing anything until the rules are fixed. I don't mind using sub-par units (love my Guard Veterans for example) but Acolytes are taking the micky at the moment...

At least they can ride in any transport, that's a fun bonus.

I do have 2 units of 5 scions. But they are sitting in deep strike for objective holding. Just when I came down to my 3rd detachment and about 1oo or so points to spare with. I was attempting to throw crusaders, priest, inquisitor and acolytes in a chimera, but I threw some DW bikes and Vanguard in there. So now down to 5 crusaders, a priest and an inquisitor and tossing them in a taurox.

I run them with my Space Wolf Wulfen Bomb list.  2 Acolytes in each Flier to soak instadeaths if the opponent nukes my transport.  Inquisitors to negate overwatch.

I've been surprised how many shots they get off.  No one bothers shooting them with wulfen on the table.

Nat, do what I'm planning to do ... magnetize! I realized I made a mistake and vowed an acolyte setup I'll likely never use since it's too expensive in 40K and illegal for Shadow War: Armageddon, so I'm going to magentize so I can use the acolyte with different options. This would be a hedge against future changes. Plus holstered pistols and sheathed swords also serves as a hedge against changes.

Looking at my 3rd edition codex and feeling waves of nostalgia and bitterly reproaching myself for not building a proper Codex: Witchhunters army back when I could have, I can see that acolytes and other Inquisitorial henchmen have changed a lot. Sad that GW discontinued the models and axed the rules for several of the more esoteric henchmen like the sage, familiar, and penitent. The chirurgeon became a Sisters only option. I still have my Sister Hospitaller model unpainted because under current rules she can only heal units with the Adepta Sororitas keyword.

I'm not getting my hopes up that we get any of that back, just noting that there could be changes. I don't even know where the ubiquitous storm bolter henchman came from. There was never a model or option for that back in the day.

Archived