Running a small allied Battalion

veelo

ok, that makes sense.

I'd be inclined to use either a rapier (probably the quad launcher version)  or a squad of 5 hellblasters to get the leviathen then. 200 points for that mortis dread with 4 LC shots is just a kick in the guts when you are paying 305 odd for the leviathan.

After some playing around I came up with this:

1998 points Deathwatch and AM

Total CP's =14

DW Battalion (5CP's)

Chaplain w/ storm bolter

Watch Master

Troops:

x2 5 man Vets with HB and Black shield with Storm Shield

x1 6 man Vets with M-L, Black shield with Storm shield and 1 Terminator with Cyclone missile launcher

x2 9 man Intercessor squads 5 Intercessors, 3 Hellblasters and 1 Arggressor with boltstorm and frag launcher

DW Spearhead (1 CP)

DW captain with MC boltgun and power sword

x2 Rapier carriers with quad launchers

x1 Leviathan with twin Storm Cannons

A-M Battalion (5 CP's)

Vostroyan

Company commander

Lord Commisar with plasma pistol

x3 Guard squads with a sniper rifle and Mortar team in each.

x2 5 man ratling sniper squads.

82 targets on the board, and enough firepower to destoy a planet................. 

You may get more feedback on potential list ideas if you cross-post this to the Army Lists subforum for DW :smile.:

Probably, I just get sidetracked with idea's sometimes :P

I just see "list, want help" and click, basically as I have so little time to play anything these days.

It's a way to still feel part of the gaming community at large, and TTWG got me through my childhood, teens and 20's along with RPG's.

Sorry for the tangent.

Just come off the back of a game using double Deathwatch battalion

Heavily using the strategems for +1 makes a big difference, Deathwatch intercessors are cheap and effective at 10 points per wound and I bumped the HQ slots with librarians.

Banebolts on the JP Captain and extra tactic on the watch master

Before buying anything but Deathwatch I'd see what turns up for Inquisition, an alternate is a Knight and has been mentioned DS a leviathan and your not going to be Mr popular

• 2 weeks later...

I want penal legion for my allies, the theme just really appeals to me and seem ideal for Inquisition missions but what is better 3 squads of regular guard or ninety conscripts?

I've not used white shields since first edition and want this detachment to be absolutely bare bones total disregard for health and safety cannon fodder, but are conscripts worth taking over guard alongside DW even with commissar support?

I want penal legion for my allies, the theme just really appeals to me and seem ideal for Inquisition missions but what is better 3 squads of regular guard or ninety conscripts?

I've not used white shields since first edition and want this detachment to be absolutely bare bones total disregard for health and safety cannon fodder, but are conscripts worth taking over guard alongside DW even with commissar support?

That would depend on what you want to do with them.

They cost more, but you can flood a field with them.

You could take a 30 man conscript squad as your first drop and string that one squad across pretty much all your deployment zone, put another one 8" behind it to prevent DS, then string another one behind that. Have troops (sorry, UNITS) to the left and right and you all but FORCE people to waste turns chewing through them, or deny rolling melee consolidations.

You could take a 30 man conscript squad as your first drop and string that one squad across pretty much all your deployment zone, put another one 8" behind it to prevent DS, then string another one behind that. Have troops (sorry, UNITS) to the left and right and you all but FORCE people to waste turns chewing through them, or deny rolling melee consolidations.

I'm toying with a fluffy bullet sponge from both the lore and game points of view, pretty much like you've described but was wondering whether they'd take a few hits then run for it or not. I love the idea of hordes of troops in Imperial armies and this seems like an interesting way to do that while at the same time soaking up a lot of damage. I'm a bit rusty on the gaming side of things as was wondering are they easier to keep in the fight than regular guard because of their numbers?

I'm toying with a fluffy bullet sponge from both the lore and game points of view, pretty much like you've described but was wondering whether they'd take a few hits then run for it or not. I love the idea of hordes of troops in Imperial armies and this seems like an interesting way to do that while at the same time soaking up a lot of damage. I'm a bit rusty on the gaming side of things as was wondering are they easier to keep in the fight than regular guard because of their numbers?

A few Commisars should stop the bleeding, But, that's why you want multiple layers. There is no "follow on" cost for failing a LD test anymore. Wave 1 gets wiped, or looses 10 more guys just to LD tests??

So what, they are still there,  as the next layer, and the next layer.

Archived